Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions cup 2022

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The EPCR have no free weekends to move postponements to, it is a wildly pointless comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,263 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The URC postponed the games that were cancelled in the previous 2 weeks, and they used the free slot last weekend to play SA derbies

How does that count as 'absolutely no contingency plan for anything'

• Subscribers Posts: 41,138 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what the hell has spurs got to do with anything ????

by the way, 'premiership' refers to english rugby union top division.

'Premier league' is the league that spurs play in.... hasnt been the premiership for 14 years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

And they have no free weekends because they didnt allow for any contingency.

Because they disnt have the foresight to think that something might happen

Do i really need to spell it out?

The premiership run a league and have taken into consideration whats been happening in the world.

The ERC and URC clearly have not.

by the way, if you ask someone to name a team that plays in the permership they are more likely to say liverpool than london irish so take your pedantic nonsense elswhere.

• Advertisement

Whats their contingency plan for bristol & Scarlets???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

To be fair Lawrence, if you post the following in the (checks notes) RUGBY forum…

I see across the water some premiership team is able to seek a postponement for this weekends game because of a covid breakout in the squad.

…I think it’s pretty reasonable that someone would assume you meant the Gallagher. Because that might at least be some way towards comparing like-with-like.

In any case, can anyone think of reasons why a domestic football league, where games can be played 3 days apart and are all played in the same country, may be more able to accommodate postponements than a widely cross-border rugby competition, where games can’t be played 3 days apart for player welfare? I’ll get my thinking cap on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It seems that it needs to be spelt out to you.

The Gallagher Premiership (you know the rugby union league rather than the football/soccer league) cancel matches and award 2 points to the team affected by Covid and 4 points to their opposition. Why? Because there are no free weekends in the club rugby calendar unless you play in the URC. Doesn't seem like much of a contingency plan to me.

The Premier League is completely different as football teams regularly play twice a week so there's plenty of room to reschedule games. The two sports are in no what comparable.

you may as well be comparing apples to baboon asses when comparing Premier League to Heineken Cup.

but hey, youve a chip you need salt for, so you do you....

naw, it just highlights that a league that has teams playing domestically and internationally can have plans in place to allow some room for disruption.

There are no free weekends because they didn't put any into the calendar.

Im surprised that people are so quick to defend the URC and ERC organisers who have done nothing so far to help the teams that got stranded in SA and who have shown time and time again over the years that the last thing they consider are the fans, while now they have shown the second last thing the consider is the actual teams and players.

Maybe some of you don't actively support your teams to have seen some of the decisions they have taken over the years and the effect it has had on actual supporters

• Advertisement

Compare the champions league so.

They have made allowances to have the games played in different countries at times, games can be postponed.

No I won't compare two completely different sports to try to denigrate the Heineken cup.

To have to go to those lengths just shows the size of the chip you have.

They have no free weekends as they are using the only weekends the Premiership and the TOP14 have allowed them. Your ire is comically misdirected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

“Maybe some of you don't actively support your teams to have seen some of the decisions they have taken over the years and the effect it has had on actual supporters”

Yes, Lawrence, you’re a better fan than all of us because of how angry you get over things. That’s how it works, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Comparing soccer to rugby is completely stupid. It makes absolutely no sense.

Now your just making things up, ive never touted myself as a “better fan” than anyone.

But anyone who regularly travels and supports their team has been the victim of the ERC and their terrible decision making over the years.

So your happy to accept the incompetence of the administrators of the rugby competitions when it is obvious that it can be done better as seen in other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Anyone else kind of excited for the new format?

When it was announced last year I thought it was the most ridiculous thing ever, but I thought fair enough as a one off and was willing to give it a chance- then of course with covid we never got to see it. When it was announced again this year I was surprised and disappointed but on reflection it has potential.

A big issue I saw with last years format was that with 4 teams qualifying from each group a team could conceivably win all their games and not quality - with 8 going through this problem has been resolved.

Another reason I didn’t like last year was that, it reduced the number of games weekends from 9 to 8. The two legged round of 16 restores this.

In the old format many teams lost their opening games and just seemed to give up, with this format everyone should have something to play for right to the end

A potential issue I see is that many teams might have qualified already before the last game but hopefully this will be mitigated by the importance of placements for future rounds and home advantage.

Anyway interested in hearing why I am wrong.

Ah now his irrational posting all makes sense.

Lawerence has a victim complex and therefore he sees enemies everywhere.

• Advertisement

Do you accept that on soccer they can play 3 games in 7 days, and that the European football calendar is synched, therefore there is absolutely no comparison you can make between the organising of these two different sports

The sky, mostly.

EPCR and URC are doing the best they can under incredibly difficult conditions. EPCR in particular in this case have been afforded only small windows in which to play games. There is zero scope for rescheduling anything and that is out of their control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Bristol isn't in the URC, and Scarlets didn't miss any URC matches they were postponed until next year

The URC organised and paid for the hotels transfers and charter flights and literally did everything to get the players home from South Africa. Not because they're a swell bunch of lads, but because that was the contract they signed, the league paid for the touring expenses in South Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I was going to post the same sentiment. The current format looks great to me, 8 teams from each league, and 6 teams (9th, 10th, 11th from each pool) dropping down to join the 10 teams that will qualify from the pools of the challenge cup, bottom 2 teams (12th in each pool) have no further matches.

It all marries up very well with the challenge cup.

The only thing that will change next season is when the 4 south african teams join the two competitions so there will be 19 teams in the challenge cup which will be an odd number.

Perhaps they could then add 1 more team from outside the 3 leagues (maybe the winner of the English 2nd division could play off against the highest finishing team from the French second division, or maybe they could invite the Cheetahs, or maybe a team from a tier 2 country like Georgia).

With 20 teams it could be 4 pools of 5 (same pool structure as now with 5 per pool), top 3 in each pool to go through, plus 4 drop down instead of 6 from the champions cup pools, so 11th and 12th in the champions cup drop out of all competition.

Anyway, things could all change so it might completely change for next season, who knows.

I can well compare the fact that soccer has its house in order with regards responding and being proactive about fixtures and the effects covid has on it and rugby has not.

You can talk about the difference between the sports all you like, but a European wide competition with teams from different domestic leagues is exactly what both are.

If you want to talk about 3 games in 7 days then look at the number of weeks soccer domestic season is played for (40 weeks) versus rugby (34 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

One criticism from last season was that Sale progressed while Ulster and Connacht both did better in the other pool and didn't progress.

The whole concept of spitting the 24 teams into 2 pools falls down really, there's no need to have 2 pools.

One table would be better for the draw and the best performing teams would qualify on merit.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Happyhouse22

I agree totally with this, don’t think the two pools add anything really- apart from a little confusion.

One pool with one table would actually be a pretty concept to follow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Christ on a bike. WTF has the length of the seasons got to do with anything? Rugby is a much more physically demanding sport. Rugby players need more rest and recovery time than footballers do. That's the reason that they don't play three times a week and they get a much longer off season.

But hey, lets say fúck that to player welfare in an already jam packed calendar during a pandemic just so Lawrence isn't put out.

Advertisement