Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions cup 2022

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

well taking that exact point your making there (without any comment as to the accuracy of it!)

if in soccer you can possibly play 3 games in 7 day over a 40 week period than that 120 different slots you have for games.

in rugby you can, at best, play one game in a week.. so over a 34 week season thats 34 different slots.

do you now see the complete uselessness of comparing both sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Have to admit that I hadn’t really considered the challenge cup with my post but it also looks like a decent format.I’m sure that with the changes next year and the increase to 19 at least one more will be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Your starting to get it now.

When you figure this one out the penny might drop- In the 34 weeks season for rugby how many games to they actually play?

Take that figure, subtract the number of weeks its played over and then ask yourself why they couldnt rearrange a fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The postponement of the Spurs game does not show that soccer has its house in order. Rennes asked if the game was going ahead, were told yes, they got on a flight and when they landed in London it was cancelled. Rennes are furious. Spurs should be forced to play the game based on the rules if they have 13 players available.

They also do not know when they will replay the game. They have no contingency weekend and since this is the last gameweek in the league round it will cause big issues.

Rugby absolutely had their house in order on this as the postponement rules were made clear to all at the start of the year and all clubs signed up. Soccer has fluid rules which leaves the clubs unclear on what happens.

The rule changes this season that sees 8 teams qualify from each european pool has lessened the effect of giving a walkover to someone. Under last years rules with only the top 4 teams going through it meant your were out of europe giving a walkover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭irelandrover

But we're talking about this year. You said rugby was bad and soccer had its house in order, and used the shitshow that is the Spurs Rennes game as an example of how good soccer is.

The fact is that rugby has clear rules and is following them. Soccer has rules, that are fluid, and terrible communication to the teams involved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

For the Premiership and TOP14 the answer is going to be 34 (actually more, seeing as they overlap with internationals).

EPCR have no spare weekends - what about this are you failing to understand?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Can you find a free weekend in which the Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English, Italian and French teams are all free to rearrange fixtures?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭agoodusername

Racing at even money tonight at the Saints feels like a good shout?

I wouldn't want to be facing their 15 for tonight, don't know why they aren't favoured. Really looking forward to European rugby with a proper crowd for the first time in 23? months, hope the Saints can make it an interesting game

Their domestic away form is very french-like, so thats probably a big factor in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Saint's about to get hammered in Europe just before Xmas. Some things never change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

One thing, with relegation no longer a factor in the GP what will the excuse's be from the English fans as to why their clubs constantly get beat in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Northampton v Racing looking like a huge mismatch. Nearly a point a minute for Racing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

An alternative is Lyon v Gloucester on BT3 in the European Challenge Cup, though it’s a low scoring affair.

The commentators are entertaining.

They showed a clip of the saints winger fielding a ball in the first half and he took it into contact and got turned over, they highlighted how little support he had, how teammates were moving away from the point of contact and made it easy for the poach.

The very next comment was how the saints players wouldnt be used to the ref because its a european game and how much of a factor it was in the game so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The joy that is watching an English team get thumped, at home, on BT sport.

they were shocked to see Racing in a commanding lead. Even asking Mike Prendergast about this being their best performance of the season. Can’t say Saints are shíte I suppose.

Northampton 23 ran an NFL blocking line way ahead of the ball carrier. Austin Healy thinks there’s no issue. They’re completely grasping at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Saints 7 is a giant of a man

Never in a million years should that try have been disallowed. Awful call

They both knew what they were doing. Slightholme ran so far ahead of him it was ridiculous, with the intent to block too. Machenaud milked it but it was there for him to do so.

• Advertisement

Machenaud went running after Sleightholme. Not the other way around. It was a terrible call.

If the commentators or anyone else is in a state of mystery as to why saints lost just look back at how they handled their first 22 exit of the game.

5 meters or so from their line at the very start of the game their hooker attempted a chip over the top with only forwards in a position to chase and was easily blocked down.

Braindead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Except they forget the Racing player's are in the same boat!

They will have racing favourites to win the next world cup after that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Finn Russell is an infuriating player. In terms of natural ability I think he's better than any 10 in the world. Tonight we saw the best of him. He could put his head up and play what was in front of him.

But when he plays against the top sides he just refuses to stay on script and adhere to a game plan. His insistence on playing off the cuff against top tier defences leads to him playing passes to nobody, knock ons and cross field kicks where the receiver is bundled into touch.

He has never tempered that individualist nature. If he ever managed to do that he'd be the best in the world.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I love watching him play. But I think I’d hate it if he was the 10 at the club I supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,556 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Racing were very good tonight.

It's just great to have Champion's cup rugby back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭ersatz

Didn't see the whole match but Saints were really not good at all. Racing are a very good team, that move late on starting with the cross field kick and ending with Beale losing control of the ball when he was away down the wing was near spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Racing have had an indifferent season so far in the Top 14 but looked very impressive against a shell shocked Northampton side who missed Covid hit Courtney Lawes badly and were poor overall.

Racing determined to break their duck in this competition after 3 final losses. I make them one of the favourites this season and I think French teams will possibly dominate.

• Advertisement

Toulose kick off their quest for another star against a Cardiff team with 11 debutants in their squad.

Anytime you get to watch Dupont and Ntamack playing together is sure to be a treat but this could be a terrible pasting for Cardiff.

Advertisement