Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Assistant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Brianb8802

I did the multiple DS18B20 temp sensors on the water tank via an esp8266 as my first introduction into a smart home and home assistant earlier this year. Sunk alot of time into it but eventually worked out how to do it, in all about a month on and off.

Also set up another board with a little LED screen to show the temps, use it daily.

I'm always dreading that a cable will get pulled out of the breadboard in the hot press and I'll have to learn it all again from scratch.

After that project I thought I had it all down pat so I tried a solar PV integration for a solis inverter but ended up losing another month there, no hardware this time just programming and finding the right integration.

If you need a hand with the temp sensors let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

The is a custom integration for the solis inverter that is easily implemented into home assiatant, you will need the datalogger on the solis.

Teckin SP23 flashed with tasmota can monitor energy of anything plugged into them or TP Link/Kasa will do the same, easily integrated into home assistant, shelly are also a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Thanks - I'd the same concerns so I got the DS18B20s with 2m cable, so should be able to tidy it up and mount to the wall out the way... [in theory]

I can view the temps on a panel on the tank already, so no need to add another - currently looking to get several sensors into a custom card like this for HA

Just need to find time to do it now - along with everything else... until I drop it for the next new thing that catches my fancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I have been using DS18B20 sensor for a while now to monitor water temp. This is fed to HA/NodeRed red and based on multiple factors it decides if water should be heated and to what temperature and powers on/off gas boiler.

As for monitoring power I use sonoff POW and also have power socket scattered around the house that are flashed with Tasmota. Again all info is going into HA/NodeRed, so I can see what is using power and when. I also configured automation that powers off devices that has been idling for some time.

Ahh I was looking for a graphic exactly like that earlier in the year but couldn't find one. Looks great

Haven't done a custom card before but looking at that link you posted and the HA custom cards wiki, it'll likely take me the whole Christmas break to get this sorted. Definitely worth it though 😜.

Cheers for the link

• Advertisement

No problem - I stumbled across it randomly from searching images of "home assistant hot water tank" last weekend as I was sure someone else would have had the idea before me! The furthest I've progressed is bookmarking the page 😂

I did get the first sensor up and running last night (after some teething problems), so will take it down tonight and add the remaining sensors, so maybe will attempt the card this weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MercNS

Ive installed some TADO TRV's myself. I currently have 2 zoned hive system but was going to change all radiator valves to TADO TRV's and just use there extension kit. (Completely rmeove the Hive system)

So any TRV valve in the house can turn heat on/off depending on setpoint. I wasnt going to install TADO thermostats as the TRV's measure temp (Although not 100% accurate, you can offset them)

And easily integrated into HA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Anyone know of any smart plugs in stock with power monitoring that work with home assistant?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭comete

What temperature/motion/contact sensors are people using in their home assistant setups? I picked up a handful of sonoff zigbee sensors off adverts and after a couple of weeks of running steadily I had one motion sensor and one temperature sensor drop out today, and concerned any other drops might cause complications with some automations (particularly a temperature sensor linked to my central heating switch).

Preference is for an off the shelf solution as the diy esp based sensors can be a bit unsightly without access to a 3d printer. Not too tied to protocol, open to WiFi, zigbee or rf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i am using xiaomi motion sensors with lumen option. for room temperature i use xiaomi ble temp and humidity sensors. working fine (touch wood) for few years now. had to change firmware on temp sensors for HA though. pretty easy.

Aqara Temp/Humidity sensors in each room (got a load cheap form aliexpress at some point)

and Aqara motion sensors too

Straightforward to add if you've Zigbee2mqtt setup

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

I'm having a blonde moment trying to integrate this into HA. It's been so long since I touched the config page with any yaml, I'm not sure I'm filling in the details correctly.

This is what I've saved on the config file after saving the files from github to a custom components folder.

Q1. do I leave the "" around m.Ginlong.com?

Q2. It's the login details used for the portal, not the Solis app I need?

Q3. Will the login details work using !secret? If not, again, do I need the "" around them on the config page?

Q4. Once the details are setup correctly, the Solis entities should appear after a few hours, on the energy setup for grid/solar/battery and as entities in their own right?

sensor:
     - platform: solis
      name: "Solis Inverter"
      portal_domain: "m.ginlong.com"
      portal_username: !secret inverter_user
      portal_password: !secret inverter_pass
      portal_plant_id: 1234567

Hi Paul,

It is the password and username for the portal alright.

I have "" around everything including username, password and plant id, after plant id I also have inverter_serial:

For the domain I changed to home.solarman.cn

Once these are in the config and you restart home assistant they should appear in you entities straight away and then you can add them to the Energy tab which can take a bit of time to appear.

There was a couple of days there that the integration was a bit hit and miss but a few updates appear to have fixed whatever the issue was or maybe it was since I changed the domain.

Cheers, I'll try then now.

you can use !secret without the "", just tried and no problem

No joy on that, not sure what the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 johnpackt

Hi I have recently started playing with Home assistant and have it installed on Raspberry Pi. To make it accessible from anywhere I have to make port forwarding work. I am failing to do so. I am with virgin media(hub 3) and it seems a lot of people have this problem. Does anyone have a solution how I can make port forwarding work? I have tried basic changes but it does not seem to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭comete

Having messed with all of that in the past I can honestly say nabu casa is worth every cent for how easy it makes remote access, and supports the awesome developers behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Here is the text I copied from my config file and it works ok...

name: "My Solis Inverter"

portal_domain: "m.ginlong.com"

portal_username: "******@gmail.com"

portal_password: "******"

portal_plant_id: "13******"

inverter_serial: "11*********"

One thing I made a mistake on was not having the correct Plant Number or the Inverter serial number, just be careful these are the right ones I got mine mixed up and I put in the logger number in as well in error.

To be honest I am going to move away from scraping this data from the website and getting a ShellyEM and logging it with this. Just installed a ShellyEM about two weeks ago to log my heat pump and the main ESB incomer and I have been impressed with the data and the frequency it reads it at (live per second as far as I can see) The website sonly reads every 3-4 mins, there are lads on the SolarPV forums are reading the data logger directly but this is above my technical knowledge at this stage.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement

This is my config also:-

name: "SolarPV"

portal_domain: "home.solarman.cn"

portal_username: !secret solis_username

portal_password: !secret solis_password

portal_plant_id: "xxxxxxxx"

inverter_serial: "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

The only thing that I can see and it might just be the way that it is pasted, is to make sure the formatting/spacing is correct. Looking at yours your name line onwards is a space back and the n should be lining up with the p of platform above, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Here is a screen shot from the text editor...forgot all the text below that as well for the entities/sensors

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Is there a sensor that shows the actual kW that is flowing to or from the battery?

I know it shows it in the app and the online portal just not showing in home assistant and don't see it listed.

Thanks

Another integration that might be on interest for those using the weconnectid app.

Still no joy with this, 😫

Had the ginlong portal address in, going to try this one now.

Have double checked the plant id, inverter serial and login details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

@Brianb8802 were you able to install this ajax wired transmitter to wired setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I took a long time getting this working also (turned out I had an extra character in my password :-{ ). I think keep a close eye on the logs

Q1. do I leave the "" around m.Ginlong.com?

A: Yes

Q2. It's the login details used for the portal, not the Solis app I need?

A: Correct

Q3. Will the login details work using !secret? If not, again, do I need the "" around them on the config page?

Don't think so - I have quotes around the username and password and the details in the root configuration.yaml

Q4. Once the details are setup correctly, the Solis entities should appear after a few hours, on the energy setup for grid/solar/battery and as entities in their own right?

The entities appear fairly quickly. Entities appeared quickly, but it doesn't show as a device or integration. You just configure the energy dashboard as appropriate.

I've picked up the Ajax gear and installed all the wireless PIR sensors to get the system up and running.

But I haven't done any of the wired work to the multi transmitter yet. Just need to go to the wholesaler and buy the door/window sensors. All the ones I've seen so far online are a bit too bulky or old fashioned looking.

BTW the Ajax system is quite good, very simple to set up and the app is easy to use.

How about you?

Oh yeah, since we're in the HA thread, the Ajax integration isn't great. I thought I'd be able to get the status of each sensor but looks like you can only get a single armed status of the system as a whole, which is a pity. I suppose it's understandable since it's security system and there could be potential risks with opening it up to HA.

You can go about using the Ajax UART bridge which will give you everything straight into HA but it requires programming the whole thing from scratch I believe and that's way above my pay grade.

• Advertisement

just to make sure, this is the portal I need to login to?

Advertisement