Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Offers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Links would help.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I'm intrigued now! Any chance ye can share with the rest of the class? Anything of relevance to me/us?

Yes, rather than cryptic references can ye be specific about what exactly the problem is, thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭55Gem

I tried to post a link but I haven't been here long enough.

Can you describe the issues being alluded to?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I wasn't planning on reading it.

Okay, I'll have a look

The gist seems to be, a link to an offer was posted but some people in Ireland can't get the offer, some have used a VPN to pretend they are in the UK, worked for some not others.

The price is £89.99 for Worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Catsmeow

Not having posted here in a few years, I wasn't sure what links or references to other websites were allowed here. If you look on page 8 to 10 of the rootschat thread (see mindhorn's link) you'll see how some Irish people availed of the half-price Ancestry offer. Both worldwide and Ireland/Uk half price offers should be available.

I hope the info will be useful to some of you.☺️

My initial reading of BowWow's post gave me the wrong impression that there was something to be wary of when renewing subscriptions to Ancestry.

But all it is is a workaround to get the best offer available.

Good call folks but in future don't be afraid to spell it out for those of us less nimble of brain!😊

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Hi,

I've always understood links to another forum were a no-no. So apologies for that.

I'm the Barkerk2610 poster in RootsChat. I tried a VPN and got 50% off - also used by another forum member. Amount payable in one payment, not monthly.

Enjoy....

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Catsmeow

Hi

I thought the same, and didn't want the mod to be on my case! At least I'll know that it's ok to post links in the future. BowWow, thanks for the heads up on the VPN over on Rootschat, I'm frostyknight over there, and was delighted to obtain a half price world subscription to Ancestry. Let's hope many more people in Ireland are able to access the offer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm dublin1850 there and initially had some trouble but got the half price offer eventually.

It's a much more sensible price for ancestry I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mollymoo19

Ancestry.co.uk currently has a half price offer - I just renewed my annual Premium Membership.

Ancestry worldwide membership for $1 at the moment. Not sure how long it will last.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genealogy/comments/ttdd8n/reminder_last_day_to_get_3_months_of_ancestry_for/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Can i ask a question - With Ancestry do you have to order a DNA Kit forst for 80/90 euro and then pay 20 euro a month ...or does getting the DNA kit give you matchs without any recurring monthly payment ?....

You don't need a subscription to get matches but you won't be able to see the full details of matches without subscribing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Still working, just signed up. PITA needing a different email though

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Thanks spook. Worked for me also. No receipt/confirmation yet, nor on my bank xtatement but I've got access

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

During this upcoming Memorial Day bank holiday in the states, does anyone know if Newspapers.Com will offer a free weekend?

I assume Fold3 might offer something, but that is usually restricted to indexes, for the most part.

• Advertisement

A heads up that this is still working. My original 3 months membership expired yesterday and I was able to use the link in the reddit thread again today with no issues.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Also has apparently worked for me - email conf of $1.23 (Irish VAT). Going to set the cancellation reminder now!

Handy as I need to look at a pile of pics and other stuff that's been uploaded by some distant American relation that looks... suspect as hell, but if its real, has a photo of a direct ancestor that we had never seen a photo of.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭aine1980

This worked for me today as well, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I availed of it already and it finished up at end of July but lo and behold it let me have another 3 mth for 1 dollar 23 cents 😁 Am trying to wean myself off access and maybe was going to sub for winter months. I have been lazy too and not 'saved' as much data as should have to peruse again later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Btw, the Reddit discount is no longer working. :(

I've tried the Rootschat one a few times today and gotten nowhere. I hadn't got a VPN but others have said it wasn't necessary. Tried with a VPN and also no joy.

Post edited by pinkypinky on

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Wow! Thanks. That one worked for me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 40 amecullen

Great me too, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

THANKS! That's just worked for me as well.

3 months full access for €1.24 - Unbelievable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Findmypast is free until 14 Nov. https://www.findmypast.ie/

Advertisement