Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EU Proposal on calf transportation. NO MOVE UNDER 35DAYS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Don’t know, the cow protects the suckled calf’s immune system, the bucket fed calf is more susceptible to worms

The bucket fed calf has to be vaccinated against lots, on lots of farms the suckler calf only gets a dose for worms and black leg if lucky

Every farm is different too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is a good few Suckler farmers already rearing calves. It about getting the basics right. However no movement before five weeks if it comes in means no movement. That means most dairy farmers will have to carry calves to to five weeks, at that stage if some buyers requirement is an 8+ week old calf then dairy farmer will have to live with that.

If weanling cannot be exported either then the higher quality E/U+ weanling will have to manage with Irish prices. I cannot see it being economic to produce these calves. There would be as much return out of producing R+/U- calves and less risk calving.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I used to double suck a share of cows once upon a time, but the price of the dairy calf has gone insane, and the quality of the dairy calf has gone to sh1te. Just not worth the hassle.

As for bucket rearing them, as was stated the price of the milk replacer makes it uneconomical. Maybe if you had a small milking parlor you could have a few milkers to rear the calves but again unless you are doing it with numbers it's not worth it.

I remember as a teenager being able to buy 6 week old big square Hereford X calves, mighty bone on them too. Nowadays the dairymen are selling 10 day old narrow screws of Hereford X. Pure rubbish stuff that any farmer with half a brain wouldn't take for free never-mind give the 250 euro asking price.

It's a bit rich of the Irish dairy sector to think that the answer to the problem of getting rid of the calves in the future will be the Suckler farmers, jasus things are bad enough without bringing rubbish cattle around the place. It costs as much if not more to feed a bad yolk as a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I see no evidence that they are more susceptible to worms.

we worm them when they are settled, then after that only few weeks after housing in the winter. In recent years we stopped worming when animals are at grass to let the dung beetles recover and do their job, less worm burdens as a result

same for vaccinations, we never vaccinate.

I think it’s 5-6 years since we had a suck calf lost and that cnut got his head stuck under a gate 🙄

Suckling and rearing sucks I feel are very different, for the 8-10 weeks after sucks land they take tight watching and a vigorous attention to detail when feeding. Swift action is always needed, wait and see is risky, I’d be pedantic about giving a sick calf fluids as they dehydrate so quickly and that to me is a big cause of losses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

When you go to marts or carry cattle to slaughter and you see bucket fed stores as heavy as Suckler bred ones. Then at the factory you see bucket fed LM, CH and BB killing out at the same weights as suckker bred cattle you have to question the economics of a suckler cow.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

WTF is the point in the likes of Bord Bia and the IDA then?? Outside of relentlessly pushing the Kiwi Dairy Model what have Teagasc done to promote innovation or meeting the needs of a lower input farming model that needs to happen??. Most of the innovators in the area of new markets and agri products around the country certainly weren't helped or inspired by them, as detailed by the likes of the Farming Indo week in week out>Maybe its you that needs to wake up to the real world pal or are you suggesting Irish Farmers are too tic to wipe their own ar$e??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They promote our produce around the world, tax payer pays for it, some Irish farmers have done their best to undermine our promotions, how thick is that

Some achievement alright to have the lowest beef and milk prices in the EU - their remit also includes market/product development in which their record has been less than stellar as I pointed out above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Bord bia in fairness to them are world class at promoting food and I have heard that from food industry leaders on the continent.

• Advertisement

Market sets the price, there's nothing wonderful about our food that we can get above the local produce prices in a country, I've seen our produce in foreign supermarkets and the local stuff being picked up in preference

Delivering value for shareholders in big agri business like Greencore et al is not the same as getting better margins for farmers. Of course the likes of Larry et al are delighted with getting low cost quality product and getting state agencies to promote their business model for free across the world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭green daries

That's a great post and one that teagac et Al should have been thinking about when they were pushing the expansion Idea

It's promoting the industry, market dictates price, we've often entertained foreigners here for Bord Bia.

As long as they're promoting the product they're doing their job, you might have something to complain about if product was getting backed up, but it's all being sold

Here's a graph of the last few years beef price, there's no difference in the EU beef price and Irish.

Irish beef in UKis not going to make as much as UK beef ,It'd even make less if it was labelled as Irish

If you see by the graph the irish price is often ahead of the EU price,

I was in europe numerous times when the Irish price was more than the country I was in. If you're not happy with the EU price you probably shouldn't be producing beef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭DBK1

From what I see of that graph it’s comparing the Irish and Uk price of steers to the European average for young bulls?

Maybe I’m reading it wrong so I’m open to correction on that but if that’s the case then using that graph as a reference point for anything is about as much value as second hand toilet paper.

Put the price of Irish bulls on it and see how the comparisons are then.

Young bulls in europe are better than the irish bulls, any that I have seen in europe would be E and U grade, no comparison,and even if there was E grade bulls here there wouldn't be enough to create a viable supply. Irish bulls would be very poor compared to European, Europen would be mostly purebreds

That graph is probably the best comparison for prime beef

Europeans like lighter coloured beef, we supply rich red beef, I've seen it myself in supermarkets, this anaemic beef being picked ahead of the irish beef. Irish labelling doesn't help either, ICM have a factory in belgium now purely I'd say that they can label the lamb as Belgium, The label they use is 'Celtic Lamb' so they can supply it from other than Ireland

• Advertisement

I’m not saying that I either agree or disagree with what you’re saying about Bord Bia, I’m only saying that a graph comparing 2 entirely different products to make it look like we’re ahead of the European price is bullsh**e!

Why don’t they base it on heifers so? Or use all steers, or all dry cows or basically anything you like so long as it’s the same product?

Ask yourself would you buy foreign beef in preference to your own, well, it's the same across europe, you'd need a damn good discount to consider it, I wouldn't like to be trying to sell it, it's only a commodity in any other country used in catering, burgers, etc. I've even seen it thrown around in tesco , There's no comparison in selling english beef in england and selling Irish beef in england.

If you want to compare like with like that's what you should look at. I'd always check out supermarkets when I'd be travelling, it wouldn't encourage you, French sheep farmers were getting at least a euro/kilo more than Irish sheep farmers yet Irish lamb had only 25% or less of the shelf space in french supermarkets.... if it was selling well it'd get a lot more of the shelf space

I don’t dispute a single word you’ve said there. I purposely didn’t state my thoughts on Bord Bia until now as it was irrelevant to the original point I was making about the graph you linked to.

I agree with 99% of what you’re saying about Bord Bia. From memory I think the running costs of Bord Bia is about €75 million. There are about 1.8 million cattle, 2.8 million sheep and 3.8 million pigs slaughtered in Ireland every year. Add in live exports and and figures for any other enterprise Bord Bia covers and divide it up per ton of meat or whatever way you like and I’d estimate it’s about €20 per beef animal to cover Bord Bia’s costs.

I have no doubt that we would be a hell of a lot more than €20 per beef animal worse off without the advertising and promotional campaigns of Bord Bia so in my opinion they are certainly giving us a better return than we would achieve without them.

But none of that changes my original point on the graph you linked too. It is comparing 2 different products. It would be the same as comparing the price of heifers to the price of cows, pointless because they are 2 different products. A true price comparison would compare 2 identical products.

Edit to add; My figures and calculations are from memory and my head so I’m open to correction on any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Irish beef was always held in the highest regard in France…until the angus beef fiasco.

All the ‘workers’ restaurants were using Irish beef exclusively. Outside the door on the menu board they used to have a big sign saying that all beef was Irish. The amount of meat used in those restaurants is massive, and mostly the poorest cuts also. Losing the French market was a major fcuk up…then again us Paddies aren’t happy until we’re pulling some sort of a fast one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Jrx been "doctored" as aax on the blue card....

You can build your own graph based on heifer price here on page 3 of 4, when I did it EU price and Irish prices were very close. Irish being a bit ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

As Jay said, selling jerseys as angus. When tests were carried out on ‘Irish Angus’ beef it was found to have no Angus in it whatsoever…but loads of dairy farmers were able to get their jex calves off as angus, so all good.

There was quite a furore at the time. McDonalds are even using French Angus now, in fact the AA breed is all the rage now with a lot of farmers abandoning the native breeds to produce French Angus. Imported Irish bred Angus are not wanted as breeding stock because, I suppose, of the lack of credibility in Irish producers. Funny how that fiasco wasn’t reported in Ireland while it made big news in Europe…green washing is fine until you get called out on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Just typical, is that where the DNA tagging came from?

said farmers should of been penalised, why do we tolerate the bad ones throwing us all under the bus

Advertisement