Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work and Storm Barra ???

Options
  • 07-12-2021 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the situation is with work and a storm situation...

If your company closes for the day, do you have to use AL?

If your company does not close but you can't get in (on public transport or what ever), do you have to use AL?

Just wondering what everyone's experiences are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I would imagine every company is different. It would be at your manager/companies discretion. Are you in a position to work from home?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Allinall

Yes, unless you're employer says no.

It's up to you to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

This might answer some of the questions:

As for my personal experience, our office was officially closed from just after 1pm today. But we're all working from home anyway due to the pandemic, so it made no difference. However, we actually have a time bucket for extreme weather events - our company has offices in Japan, Taiwan and the US Mid-west, so they have earthquakes, typhoons and ice storms to deal with respectively. Even if one could not work from home, we would not be penalised or have to use annual leave if we could not get to work because of the weather. We'd just log the time. Obviously it could be checked against news and weather reports to make sure the no-one was grossly abusing it, but it's left up to people to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You may be allowed to use AL. Or you may have to take unpaid leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

i work from home today so doesn't affect me.. was just wondering as a number of mates are in such situations..

@Gregor Samsa thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

my bro didn't go to work yday cos the buses weren't running..his boss was fine with it.. bro assumed he would have to use his AL

he went to work today and turns out that loads of his colleagues didn't make it in either.. so his boss is just giving them the day off "free" so to speak.. those who went in can have a day off in lieu...

v cool of him..

Advertisement