Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Times letters page

• 07-12-2021 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

A thread to talk about the often pompous and overwrought letters to the editor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

An exchange has begun between school children in the letters page.

On Saturday the Irish Times published a letter from a twelve year old bemoaning the mask mandate in primary schools. ‘The government says it’s a recommendation, the school says it’s a requirement, I say it’s a farce … Even though we can’t vote, as children, we have a voice.’

Today, an eleven year old hit back. ‘As a primary school student, I think that all schools should have made masks compulsory … While some work from home because of the pandemic, others are out in the public system…’

Perhaps I am underestimating the political engagement and articulacy of children these days, but I don’t think the IT should be publishing correspondence from parents writing in their child’s name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Dear Editor,

A thread has been started over on boards.ie about pompous and overwrought letters to your good self. The OP was able to reference excactly zero.

QED

yours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

the “Funny” ones are the worst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

"Perhaps I am underestimating the political engagement and articulacy of children these days, but I don’t think the IT should be publishing correspondence from parents writing in their child’s name."

Why not, once they are reflecting their child's point of view.

Reminds me of the Ads on ITV and Channel 4 some years ago featuring Toddlers giving Insurance Advice to their parents. On what Insurer to invest in. Ugh. Does'nt endear me to the IT in any sense and smells of 'WOKE' .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

That brief moment before the onset of puberty where you are just smart enough to understand how things should work and you haven't been distracted by hormones, self doubt and selfish agenda. When you look at your older siblings and cousins and think "I'll never be like that" but it's inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Have they they changed the format? The last time I read that page, it was Sir, Madam or A Chara, apologies if I'm wrong. It has been a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Don't know, have never written one until now, I am sure that the copy editors would have made sure that it was sufficiently pompous and overwrought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

You may complain about kids these days, but they were a lot more precious in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

The oldest 12 year old. What did he want to watch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This thread should start with Sir/Madam and end with Yours Sincererly, Iffandonly, Dublin 6W

are you sure they used the word "sincerely" I thought it was just "yours" Joe Blogs etc, Again apologies to Blanch and yourself if I'm wrong. I don't buy it anymore, nor do I have an online subscripition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Sir,

A witty comment or something boring depending on the topic at hand.

Yours, etc

It's "Yours sincerely" if the letter is addressed to a person.

It's "Yours faithfully" if it's addressed to Sir, Madam, Editor etc.

It's "Yours etc. for anyone who doesn't know the first two rules.

It's generally "Dear Sir ( madam when geraldine Kennedy was editor) or "A Chara

Letters end with "Yours etc."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Are you sure they used the word "Dear" I'll give a tenner to a charity of your choice, if I'm wrong. I used to get a free copy of it about a decade ago.

"saved"

• Advertisement

Group of fifty writers say Eavan Boland achieved ‘every bit as much’ as James Joyce and WB Yeats.

‘At the moment, there are three permanent exhibitions celebrating male Irish writers in Dublin – the Seamus Heaney exhibit at the Bank of Ireland Arts Centre, the James Joyce commemoration at MoLi, and the WB Yeats exhibit at the National Library of Ireland.

And yet nowhere is there space for a centre that would celebrate the achievements of this Irish woman writer who has achieved in her own life and work every bit as much as these rightly celebrated men.’

‘Sir, – With one bound, Boris Johnson has gone from oven ready to de-Frosted. – Yours, etc.’

The type of smug and inane joke that seems to guarantee publication. Of course, a defrosted item remains oven-ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

As someone who has had several letters published in the Irish Times over the years (I am both pompous AND overwrought) that observation is definitely true!!

No more "funnies" on the letters page! It's only for us pompous overwrought gobshites!!!!!

Harrumph!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭standardg60

I think you missed the jape there, refers to David Frost

Sir, Ambassador Paolo Serpi very kindly has offered Italian assistance for the completion of Dublin’s MetroLink

However, I wonder if he has really considered how long major infrastructure projects appear to move in Ireland. 

After all, Rome wasn’t built in a day! Yours, etc.

Another meaningless joke. The Italian ambassador of all people would know Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Also, in the second paragraph it should be either how slowly they move or how long they take.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭animalinside

Agreed. The "funny" ones and the really short ones that are meant to make some amazing concise point. In an odd kind of way, they're actually kind of hilarious because of how ridiculous they are, like that someone actually wrote that and thought it was some clever and hilarious piece of wit.

I'm really starting to wonder if those types of ones are intentional parody. Surely that type of person couldn't exist in this day and age.

A chara, The prevalence of black-and-white plastic bollards on pavements, street corners, and throughout the urban realm has reached abhorrent levels. If the bollards were red and white, one could be forgiven for thinking that we were living in a Where’s Wally book. – Is mise

It has come as a surprise to me the extent to which some on the left in Ireland tacitly support Russia in the current confrontation with Nato

A joint-letter from representatives of the the Irish Anti-War Movement says, ‘The indisputable fact is that the current Ukraine crisis has been festering due to relentless Nato expansionism – mainly driven by the US – which the Russians claim threatens its security.’

For balance, Vladimir Putin is disparaged in a sentence, but it is American-led Nato and western media that are the target of their ire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

There's been a couple tankies popping up on boards recently, arguing the virtues of Stalin and the USSR at one point. I assume its just the Far Left importing their new fashionable views from America.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's always an awful whiff of 'it got a good reception down the golf club' off those letters. the author's golf buddies probably think he's a dreadful bore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I suppose immediate capitulation to your adversaries does still count as "anti-war".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

The left in America hates Putin, it's the right that likes him now. Try to keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Russia is a bit of a divisive topic for both left and right from what I see.

"The left" in parts like Russia on the basis that they're so hostile to the west, and those who hate the west must be good in their eyes. There's also a bit of a hangover from Soviet days, like in Germany where the political parties who were most open to cooperation with the USSR in the Cold War are still the most enthusiastic for appeasing Russia now. Others take an opposite view and dislike Russia because of their human rights record, lack of freedoms, support for right wing groups abroad etc.

On "the right" you have the traditionalists who hate Russia because of the threat they pose to US dominance and to a lesser extent for their disregard for rules and the international order. While others on the right love Russia because they see it as the last bastion of Christendom and non-PCness compared to the west. The idea of having a strongman leader and carving other nations up into "spheres of influence" resonates with many of the Fox News set.

Unusually, someone had a go at one of those short letters Monday in Irish Examiner:

Lacks the "a chara" and "is mise" though, which is just the cherry on top. 😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭rodders999

He should have gone all in on the pun and went with “Much ado about putting”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A quick Google search tells me the writer of the letter has a master’s degree in peace studies. Odd then that he could be so tone deaf as to what concessions unionists might welcome.

’I would suggest that most in Ireland have thought about it and have decided that they quite like the current direction of travel in the South: active membership of the EU and UN, forthright support for international law and the Belfast Agreement, rapid development of infrastructure and the economy, and a gradual movement towards a more open, tolerant, inclusive society sensitive to the needs of the less fortunate … Unionists are welcome to join us, but they will be joining Ireland, not some lesser version and imitation of a bygone Britain.‘

He seems to think that when people talk about making overtures to unionists they intend some sort of illiberal turn for Ireland. Talk about a straw man.

Quite an inspired letter in today's Irish Examiner. It must be hard to get published when you have competition like this. But seriously who wrote this, was it a small child or what, I think if they're short of letters they should just not fill up the space anymore or ask for people to send in more.

People pay big money to get adverts in national newspapers, in theory it should be a great way to spread your message and viewpoints for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's as if they had this big bit of white space on the page due to some sort of glitch that they needed to fill and a few in the office came up with this and stuck it in with a fictitious name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

Maybe he asked Chat GPT to write it ...

.. eerily impressive at a superficial level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Do normal people still read the Irish Times?

I thought it was just civil servants and the sort of toolbox who votes in Seanad Elelctions.

That's actually incredible. Seems like the end of compulsory homework other than writing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Sadly the Irish Times letters is no longer an outlet for the vain who want to have their opinion stand out amongst the others in the comment, since the IT removed the comment section. Thus providing their paying customers no other option to but the absolutely antiquated "letters page".

Removal of the comment section is undoubetdly bad for business in the sense of having more paid subscribers, but if you realise that the IT is more useful as a mouthpiece of those with power, the removal of any questioning or critique of the narrative, then it was inevitable.

Many times I have seen opinion pieces by members of the establishment & vested interests get comprehensively torn asunder in the comments. Big shout out to Fin Facts for crunching numbers when needed.

Indeed these opinion piece writers would not dare comment below the line themselves, instead linking their published piece to the IT from their Twitter where they would engage in a back slapping session with those that are friendly or financially linked to them, and block anyone else.

Unlike other comment sections which are filled with the stupid, the uninformed and the down right abusive, locking comments to paid subscribers meant the IT had a higher standard, and yes it did need moderation and some censorship but otherwise it provided the masses with much needed discussion on what "opinion" they were presented with, often by people they pay taxes to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

Yeah, it's hard to believe it's not written by a human. In this case, it's as good as the real thing as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Economics101

I have 2 gripes (at least for starters)

1. Some people have letters publiched practically every week, and they are not necessarily all that good. Whats the record for the number in a week from one individual?
    2. Letters signed by anything from 5 to 55 of the "great and the good", usually of a leftish persuasion. The last dreadful one was a call of a ceasfire in Ukraine, with very little appreciation of the grom realities attaching to this.
    Post edited by Economics101 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Christ not this nonsense again. There's a whole thread about this somewhere. Those comments sections were full of cranks and weirdos peddling absolute guff. They are absolutely no loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭jmcc

Nobody really knows. The IT used to sell about 100K copies a day back about ten years ago. It was struggling to sell around 50K a day before COVID. The IT is just a provincial viewspaper with delusions of grandeur. Fewer people buy a daily newspaper these days. As for the Letters page, it is just people trying to get the equivalent of a pat on the head from the mediocrity.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Bahaha. Yes there were indeed a few eccentric posters, but more often that not, real people with real experience put their own name to the comments which outright refuted the central point of the "opinion" and h kindly backed it up with hyperlinked references.

But if you think the vested interests pumping out unchecked lies and propaganda is betterthis way. Well then you're welcome to your opinion...on boards.ie of course, not the IT you don't get to talk back to your betters there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Has the Irish Times ever cancelled a readers subscripton because of a letter expressing unapproved opinions?

• Advertisement
Advertisement