Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah, I know - misread the intent and have edited my post while you were writing this.

Also - think I might have been confusing you with another poster...? Sorry - tis late

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

that's grand, i might go back and try and defend that posters point of view, but it is late..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh there's a bit of hyperbole in there, but this is boards, what's a post without hyperbole. Point I'm making is, from my understanding of BLM and what I have seen/was presented to me/what I've decided, is that BLM started with good intentions but are now a figurehead for anti-white propaganda, but they wrap a lot of it up as "tips" or "steps" for white people to follow. Just like I associate the rainbow with LGBT+. It has a reputation, and not a good one imo, and they don't come out and condemn people purporting to being BLM and doing blatantly obvious or thinly veiled anti-white racism.

And the circle continues.... I'll leave it at that, not the point of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Cordell

PSA: If you're thinking about watching the Foundation TV series: Gaal Dornick is the mother of Salvor Hardin. They are both black females. Forget about "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent", she's now of the opinion that that's an old's man saying. And if you think that's the only rubbish there is, it's not. Everything is destroyed, EVERYTHING.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Apart from the dick head that spray painted it to the side of the old shopping centre in Athlone.

JLM would be more apt in athlone.

J stands for junkies..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

YOu kinda did :)

Anyway - had another trawl through the site - a bit over enthusiastic, but still not seeing anything that's what I would call blaming whites. Just someone went a bit overboard with the creative writing.

Their demands - whie the reparations are a bit unrealistic (although I've heard the claim before from the Jewish community against Germany) - aren't all that crazy. Are they being unfairly targeed by the police and jailed by a coroporate legal system? Well, you're not going to sit there and tell me theres no racism in power in certain parts of America, are you? (Although you could argue the bias is in favour of wealth rather than skin colour)

I see your comparison to the LGTB community, but again - that is defintely just an element of it. Probably even more so because a lot of them actually cringe when they hear the fringe element get airtime (and the problem is, it's ONLY the fringe element that get airtime - fear and anger sells leaging to distorted viewpoints like this). Most of them just want to be left in peace to get on with their lives.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Just finished watching the RTE news. Most of the ads featured British accents and (some) Black actors. Given that the demographic of both in Ireland is 1% or less, why is our primary news programme bookended with ads featuring both? Did I mistakenly watch the BBC? Apart from that, why does RTE accept ads for Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

You’d swear we live in a country where everyone is in a mixed race relationship. It barely qualifies as advertising, more like social programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,167 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say that every company is afraid of their lives (and businesses) now to have an advert that features just an all-white heterosexual couple, with white kids.

They'd be doomed!

I wonder how much longer this advertising 'trend' will last. I mean black people in the UK are only less than 5% of the population but seem to be represented in at least 50% of the ads, at a casual guess. I get that they are "so hot" after the George Floyd thing last year.

I mean, is this the new normal or are advertisers going to revert to actually reflecting reality rather than shaping it?

• Advertisement

There was a Heineken ad recently I believe for 00.

It went so far woke it was really ridiculous

Black couple. Gay couple, black and white couple Asian and by the gip of one of them I'd say transgender

The argument they will make in the morketing department..yes.. morketing..is that they're trying to be representative to all and in doing so missing the mark by a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

That covid one they did where people were scared to pass each other in the corridor and shaming your mate for eating one of your chips annoyed me so much I decided I wouldn’t drink Heineken anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,597 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

BBC has gone completely woke now, its jarring how blatant it is.

I watched some Tv the other night with the missus, first up the Wheel on BBC.

I've seen this show a few times and the contestants are always of a certain background and the show is rigged with the winner, a white man has literally no chance of winning.

Anyway, first contestant, a white female with cerebral palsy.

2nd contestant, a black midwife

3rd contestant, a gay man of Indian heritage.

Guess who won ?

Next up Blankety Blank

First contestant, a black female dwarf who is a social influencer.

2nd contestant, a gay male who works as a life coach helping people.

Guess who won ?

All the boxes were being ticked.

Post edited by MisterAnarchy on

Why are you picking on British adverts? Have you been watching Irish adverts of late?

They are exactly the same. But that'll be the marketing dept and focus groups for you.

I have been a big fan of Heineken for years. Disappointed to know I might need to boycott them.

My Coca Cola boycott is still going strong. Pepsi for me from now one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I mean, is this the new normal or are advertisers going to revert to actually reflecting reality rather than shaping it?

It wouldn’t be advertising if it actually reflected reality, the whole point of advertising is to sell shìt. In order to do that, they’ve always had to shape reality rather than reflect reality, even down to the charity organisations advertising for donations using imagery like the extreme poverty in Africa.

I thought about putting the Old Spice advert in here to demonstrate the point, you know the one, we all know the one, because advertising works… but instead I’ll go with what is still one of my favourite advertisements in recent years (after finding out the girl in the flake ad was only 16 at the time and the way they had her practice with a pen, suffice to say it’s left a bit of a sour taste 🤨), this one -

Classic 😁

UK broadcasters have committed to avoiding the use of the acronym BAME "wherever possible" following the publication of an industry report.

The catch-all description for black, Asian and minority ethnic people will be ditched in favour of the use of more specific terms to describe ethnicity.

Zaid Al-Qassab, Channel 4's chief marketing officer and executive leader for inclusion and diversity, said: "We welcome the desire within the industry to stop using such vague terminology. In consultation with members of our employee rep group, The Collective, we've followed their recommendation to use the terminology 'ethnically diverse'"

they'll be back to using the term 'coloured' in no time...

Yea. They're finding themselves in some form of woke paradoxical loop.

Delicious

• Advertisement

Are they actually offending themselves at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭AllForIt

They might as well have a look at LGBTQI+ while the're at it. Acronyms are supposed to be shorthand and easy to say but if Trudeau can't handle them no one can.

I didn't know that Flake ad you were referring to, I thought it might have been yer wan in the bath from the 90's, not the one in the field from the 80's, so I'm not sure If its an older Old Spice ad youre referrin to, or the more recent one... but the video you linked reminded me for some reason of a short story by Irvine Welsh in The Acid House... (its goatta be read innah Scoatish accent, though. ken? [ya know?])

Post edited by Quantum Erasure on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Even now I read that second line as -

“the phallic figure of Derek Prentice” 😂

But yeah, the gypsy girl in the ad from the 80’s, she was interviewed about it on a recent documentary I think it was on Channel 4 about Cadburys and the Flake girls advertising campaign…

29:25, you’re welcome 😂

The Old Spice ad too, while it didn’t leave men with erections, it did resurrect a flagging company’s fortunes -

(I make no apologies for that segueway 😏)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

What woman wants to buy underwear anymore when this is going on. Imagine being a teenage girl going in for your first bra.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

from the CA thread. The female university swimming team.

5 from the left at the back has smashed records ! 4 from the left has a grimace 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭newhouse87

heard today fm tonight - played the fairytale of new york altered version. Cant imagine how many songs/shows will be banned in 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Sure hasn't Dad's Army been "cancelled" on some UK channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A time traveller from the 1950's would either be happy or upset that nothing had changed

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement