Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What country is George Clooney talking about? "An ally", "Questionable at times"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Saw that..

Saudi Arabia?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, it was Qatar Airways, as we approach the 2022 World Cup.

Qatar, a regional rival of Saudi Arabia, but every bit as bad societally.

You may have seen the controversy in recent weeks as David Beckham accepted a role as a 'goodwill ambassador' for the same Tournament. A decision he will live to regret, I suspect.

Clooney obviously had much better instincts, but then, when you're married to one of the World's preeminent human rights lawyers, there's no excuse really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Fair play to him not selling out like the likes of Beckham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Beckham has made a living his whole life from selling out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Should have taken the money and put it towards exposing the country and all its horrid ways

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

Its disgusting that anyone could earn 35Million for 1 (or even a few) days work. That he would boast about it, without naming and shaming the country is equally baffling and shows how far removed he is from the daily struggles of 99.9% of the world's population. He is attempting to gain kudos for himself by even mentioning it. Better that he uses his considerable platform for naming the country and advocating against its human rights abuses instead of going out of his way to not name it.

Not naming could be on the advice of his wife who is a human rights lawyer. So naming a specific nation may simply cause her problems in her work.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

I am pretty sure the internationally acclaimed and entirely competent Amal Clooney can navigate an awkward situation at work without the help of her actor husband. She'll be just fine regardless of what he says, or doesn't say..

It's more likely that there was a NDA involved... contained within the offer itself. Fact is, we don't know.

In any case, when it comes to Hollywood actors their concern and involvement in humanitarian or moral issues tends to be very wishy washy. They're all media whores, considering the sheer scale of the American media, and the effect it has on the average American.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

They will believe anything they hear said on certain media channels, regardless of factual accuracy. Sheeple are easily led, and 'Merica has a country load of sheeple.

On one hand, fair play to him if the reason is genuine. On the other hand, he also comes across as a bit dickish. He didn't have to mention the amount at all. That was an ego booster. Imagine that, so rich that he can turn down a 1 day $35 million deal. I'm not a fan of that side of the world, for all the obvious reasons, and I think anyone who supports those places by either being a celeb and endorsing, or worse being a normie and visiting, have absolutely no right to tell me what is right/wrong and/or how to live my life. So it's good to see some standing against it, albeit just for personal gain I'd imagine. But, I would totally do a 1 day ad job for $35 million, regardless of my feelings, because that's a life changing amount of money.

If he's genuine, he'd use his power and influence to demand changes or do something other than "Yeah, I didn't need the cash and I'm not 100% on that airlines country". Pointless in the end.

Americans are constantly hooked into some kind of media. Phones, hundreds of radio stations, the same with tv, etc and then all the advertising coming from all directions. It's a bizarre nation, and I haven't experienced anything similar to it elsewhere. As such, there's the short attention spans, and desensitization of people, or alternatively the need for excessive drama. The effect would be a superficial attitude to many moral issues, being more concerned about what other people think/say as opposed to a real concern for the topic.

I get you, the media production and consumption is out of control. I was just thinking myself, what does the average american even think and I really don't know. I've been here for just 4 years and I've had a lot of conversations but I really cannot tell you what the average american thinks, the ones I've met have varied opinions. I live in the north east so again there is a bias there. To be so sure how 330 million people think seems a bit naive to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Amal: Hi honey, I'm home.

George: Hi honey. Tough day?

Amal: Oh yeah, just dealing with [REDACTED]. Wouldn't BELIEVE the people they are churning through to build infrastructure for sporting event [REDACTED]. And their position on women? and homosexuals and western values in general.

George:......... m'kay....... So uh... I was thinking of doing an ad for their national [REDACTED].... So, No?

Amal:........

George: Gotcha. Okey dokey. I'll call my agent.

To be so sure how 330 million people think seems a bit naive to me though.

I didn't make any such claim. Look back. I said the effect on Americans... not that all Americans are affected this way, nor did I say anything about what they believed in.

My mistake, I assumed you were referring to the emotional and mental effect on the average american in which case we would have to know how they think in order to measure. We would need the state before and after the action to measure it's effect.

Advertisement