Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

b2w & wheels

Options
  • 30-11-2021 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Q1. Is it possible to use a b2w for equipment only? I don't need a new bike (I know, n+1 is the correct amount to have!) but I do need new wheels. Can I use a b2w for wheels?

Q2. Looking for entry carbon wheelset for a leisure cyclists. Happy to spend max b2w - any recommendations? rim brakes, clincher or tubs..

Q3. Any recommendations for LBS (nationwide).. Could I do this via chainreaction? Stock seems low everywhere so thinking next year..

Wheels are still a bit of a mystery to me to be honest

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the B2W scheme must be used for the purchase of a bicycle, it's quite clear on this. anything else is tax fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

No its not, it says bicycle or accessories. I am actually surprised wheels are not explicitiely listed when it includes mirrors, reflective clothing pumps etc. although those are to be purchased "with the bike"

What equipment does the Bike to Work Scheme cover?

The scheme covers the following items, which must be purchased as new (not second-hand):

• New bikes and tricycles
    • New electric bikes (electrically-assisted bikes that require some effort to propel)
    • Cycle helmets
    • Bells and horns
    • Lights (including dynamo packs)
    • Mirrors
    • Mudguards and skirt guards
    • Cycle clips
    • Panniers, luggage carriers and straps
    • Locks and chains
    • Pumps
    • Puncture repair kits and cycle tool kits
    • Reflective clothing
    • Bike reflectors

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from the revenue website (emphasis mine):

The following new safety equipment, if purchased with the bicycle, are also covered:

• cycle helmets
    • bells and bulb horns
    • lights, including dynamo packs
    • mirrors and mudguards
    • cycle clips and dress guards
    • panniers, luggage carriers and straps
    • locks and chains
    • pumps, puncture repair kits, cycle tool kits and tyre sealant
    • reflective clothing, white front reflectors and spoke reflectors.

i suspect that text you copied is just badly worded - yes, you can buy ancillary equipment but it must be accompanied with a bike purchase.

this link also explicitly forbids 'bicycle parts':

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/what-constitutes-pay/items-not-treated-as-pay/provision-of-bicycles-for-directors-and-employees.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭billyhead

Was it true if anyone knows that some retailers were selling sit on lawn mowers and the like under the scheme. Also I reckon some just sell ancillary items rather then the full bike and put on the invoice it was a bike that was purchased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My manager is a 70 minute drive to work, he isn't cycling with the bike he got on the scheme. Nobody seems to mind when people are buying a bike for their leisure and not commuting like they're supposed to, if a shop is willing to do it I say wheels are fair game...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Alright, locking this thread as it's technically fraud

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement