Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBRU calls a spade a spade

Options
  • 01-11-2021 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Starts about 2:50 into the discussion, well its clear as day he is calling out the the free travel card holding dirtbags and we can all see with our own eyes he is not wrong. every dirtbag has free travel and i would go so far as to say the issuing of free travel cards has increased in the last 2 years to ridiculous levels .

Something has to be done , no doubt , but will any politicians have the guts to tackle the problem?

Free travel for only OAP and those with serious health conditions that leave them with severely reduced mobility, every minor mickey mouse ailment gets a free travel card these days, if you can use public transport to go to work, the gym, football training or out for a night on clubbing, why the hell do you have one in the first place?

If you have a companion pass, why are you out on your own traveling? If you need a companion only sometimes when your illness strikes, then you should buy a ticket the rest of the time when your are healthy and solo.

Another think that is puzzling is the amount of non eu, people with Free travel pass, you try emigrating to a country and see how the restrictions will require you to have money in the bank and hold down a job, we are importing Africans and Asians who don't speak a word of english and are straight onto the social welfare free travel scheme, how does that make any sense, just another burden on a already strained system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The vast vast majority of those acting like scum are our very own home-grown native Irish sh1theels, drunken or drug addled or simply causing trouble because it's Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the op is basically a rant about the free travel scheme which is irrelevant to this issue as are foreign countries, foreign nationals etc.

the vermin engaging in anti-social behaviour aren't doing so because they are on free travel passes, assuming they are, they are doing it because they are just nasty pieces of work and that would continue even if none such folk ever were on the ftp scheme.

more likely, it is that they are boarding the trains without paying and they would do that while there are hardly any staff around.

if someone is deemed to be qualified to receive the ftp then your opinion on it is going to change jot all, as is quite right.

as far as i am aware the companion pass never meant someone absolutely had to have one at all times, but rather their disability is such that they may need it in certain situations or perhapse all of the time, but once they are deemed to qualify based on actual evidence rather then the opinions of users on boards.ie then the authorities will be satisfied with their use and individuals buying tickets when they have been deemed to qualify for the ftp benefit is nonsense all be it users do have to get and present a ticket as far as i am aware.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Scummers regardless of whether Irish or foreign, shouldn’t have access to the free travel pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'd imagine the scumbags on the trains run the gamut of groups, some native Irish, some foreign. While you could argue that the free passes are too common, to me the problem looks a lot simpler:

1) The complete lack of any kind of a Irish Transport Police, similar what they have in Britain.

2) Not enough punishment for scumbags the few times they're caught.

3) Wider societal issues/breakdown. I don't remember this kind of thing being so common, in years gone by, except for the odd scumbag stoning passing trains at Broombridge.

I'm not a big fan of strikes the attendant disruption but I'm with the unions on this one. Enough is enough. Nobody should have to put up with that kind of carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I work in public transport, and 99% of the trouble I witness involves Irish people under 18, who don't have free travel passes. The vast majority of non-Irish passengers I deal with do not have free travel passes. The vast majority of people under 65 who have them - including people incapacitated by years of drug addiction - tend not to engage in anti-social behaviour on public transport.

Checks out, U18s untouchable under the law and nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

That's a wrong approach, sadly. I wonder, do parents care about their children? Seems they are too lazy to bother raising them well and educating common sense, ethics and well manners. I've seen some examples on streets when it looks that parents are trying to be nice to their children but forget that being nice should also have its limits. It's not enough just to be a nice parent to be a good parent. Responsibilities have to be tough too. Sometimes it seems parents are serving their egoistic children's needs... It should be mandatory to pass a responsible parenthood course for all parents, before they get to hold their child in the hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Its across the board, its not a free travel issue and it would be wrong to single them out. Its paying passengers , those who dont intend to pay and some who are on free travel. Some of the security are spot on and you know they have your back but some are just plain useless and rather have their faces glued to their phones than respond to a call on the radio.

There is supposed to be a zero tolerance on abuse but management dont really give a fiddlers, they just want to take their over inflated wages and hide in offices or at home. It took for 2 of the reqular security lads to be hospitalized in Connolly before management bowed down to their request for extra security.

Unions dont care unless their precious train drivers are affected only then will the get involved. Station staff get abused and assaulted nearly every day ,a driver rarely but its only on that rare occasion will the unions get involved.

Unions are a waste of time and serve the interest of the company rather than the interest of its members, they just stick their heads out every now and then just to be seen to be doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

At the end of the day there is a very serious anti social behaviour problem in this country and it boils down to lack of consequences.

When you marry an absurdly lenient welfare system (and the free travel passes) with a non existent justice system it leads to the behaviour everyone sees day in, day out.

No consequences, it's generational, they can do whatever the hell they like.

It's sad because it means we all have to accept therefore that there are things we can't have like barrier free transport for example. It's madness in this society and the way this place is run. The Luas is am example. The red line is already no go and the green line is going the sane way.

And this will only get worse as it is year after year because like I say it's generational.

Nobody wants to deal with the roots of the problem.

• Advertisement

Like the previous post, if the parents are scumbags themselves there isn't a lot that can be done with the current kid-glove approach.

There will be some fun sh1t going down on the streets in the coming decade.

If parents get social welfare they should be sent for mandatory courses. Firstly, parenting, ethics and scial responsibilities, then the rest to upskill in order them to get jobs, otherwise, cut welfare payments less and less. I work hard, I pay tax and pay for these scums who raise a new generation of worse scums. They should know the price of money and responsibilities. And those who works but don't raise children well who make troubles to the society, should be penalised for bad parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

These threads always turn out the same, an exercise in social welfare bashing.

A lot of 'should be', unfortunately lawmakers don't travel by DART or Luas red line, likewise the operators of all these well-meaning SJW outfits whose influence is way out of proportion to their size.

If parents get social welfare they should be sent for mandatory courses

Every parent gets social welfare in the form of the childrens allowance

here is the reality.

social wellfare or free travel passes have absolutely nothing to do with anti-social behaviour, people are anti-social regardless of them, not because of them.

even if they were removed tomorrow there would still be anti-social behaviour and there would still be no barrier free travel.

parenting courses or this course or that course is mostly unworkable as it is ultimately going to operate on an opinion of how a parent should parent which i can even tell is a subjective opinion and 1 method is disputed by other people and so on.

the only thing there is a point on here is the lack of gardai and low sentences for some crimes but that is down to the politicians to sort out, and obviously not enough of the public want these things changed as they keep voting for the same parties and politicians who refuse to change it and who allowed it in the first place.

mythical sjw groups aren't relevant here either because even if they didn't exist, same as the actual evidence based lobby groups for various subjects who do exist thankfully so as to hold government to account, we would still be in the same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

These are policy decisions.

Think about where all the transport nodes meet and what Dublin City Council are doing.

I just read about 21 new apartments on Pearse St. Every single one of them social housing.

That's happening everywhere in the city center. If it's not a Peter McVerry slum it's social housing.

They are making Ballymun of the city center and if they continue they'll get Ballymun. Although it's probably reached that point already despite all the promises of ghettos being a thing of the past. Mixed tenure was the mantra, no more.

Is it any wonder the results are seen every single day on every mode of public transport?

We don't even have a transport police.

We are all over the shop.

You can't improve anything unless someone in politics is prepared to do something to stop the rot.

That's not what I mean. Talking about chronic jobseekers.

lovely, describing housing schemes implemented by people who get off their arses and actually do something to help others which the government refuse to do, as a slum based on the people living there being a mix of people who simply need help with housing, or who have other difficulties, absolute classist bollox.

you voted for the politicians who divested in the gardai, you voted for the politicians who refuse to invest in it again, you voted for the politicians who do not remove lenient sentences for violent crimes, and you are now whinging because you got what you wanted, oh but you didn't want it but still kept voting the same way regardless.

not to mention as i said, discribing the housing schems of a charity who got off their backsides and are doing what the government should be doing as slums when there is no evidence of that what soever.

what have you done about anything apart from whinging on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The "charities" providing housing are all funded by the government, the housing trusts are borrowing on our taxes. The government for some reason doesn't want to directly invest in housing but saying that the government is doing nothing and "charities" are doing it all is BS, you could say we've too many charities looking after homeless as they are diluting the income by having duplicates of paid employees in each "charity".

We've voted for the current situation and none of the political parties are campaigning to fix the anti social behaviour problems in our county, even the "left" parties are ignoring it even though it's affecting their electorate proportionately more.

• Advertisement

i didn't vote for it.

and there is 1 party who actually does plan to deal with anti-social behavior, i voted for them for every election since i could vote but that's another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

where? when? have you reported this to the gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was listening to a podcast from Independent.ie about this chronic issue on the trains a few weeks ago.

One angle of the stories that were highlighted by people who were giving them to the paper were really eye opening to be honest especially if you were a vulnerable young woman who 2as using the train to travel on their own. You would hear things from the male scumbags who would talk to these women that they would be drugged or raped if they didn't time with this animals.

There were other occasions when two so-called hard men would challenge themselves to having a fight on the train in broad daylight when small amounts of other passengers were around them.

The link to the episode in question is here.

My own view on this particular story is that the effects of lockdown within this section of the public transport system has magnified the level of fear out there that is being spread among decent people in how to help themselves to keep safe and to help others as an outlet for doing same.

No decent person out there who live in this country should never have to deserve to be in fear when they get to use these pieces of critical infrastructure when they intend to use it as a private citizen. They want to be safe from harm's way & get away from encountering the consequences while observing these dangerous scumbags when they are out from a public street.

You have the likes of anti-vaxxers going out there to cause trouble when they are using buses as a means of travel to go to anti-lockdown protests during the pandemic. And then you have the scumbags openly trading illegal drugs right in front of people's eyes while they are travelling on mainline trains.

Seeing stuff like that occurring in broad daylight & then trying to intervene stopped the situation from escalating could frighten the living crap out of you in return. People who don't want to follow that lifestyle whatsoever should not deserve to become a possible victim of their own demise when it wasn't really their own fault.

There are some large amounts of scumbags who are out there & exploit that type of lifestyle for their own good to the detriment of everyone else around them.

How in the name of god are we suppose to have a safe public transport system now particularly in an era of climate change when this stuff still remains unresolved.

I have read many times on this site over the past while that money is not an issue while we live here in this country. We should be able to plough in enough money to set up a transport police here while we have the abundant financial resources to get one setup to get the public to see the benefits of having a strong visibility while they use these critical public services.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have been reading that IÉ staff have voted in favour of industrial action earlier this week as an attempt to address issues relating to anti-social behaviour taking place on their rail services during the pandemic.

No date has been set by the unions so far.

But you would probably have the nagging feeling inside you that this industrial action by IÉ staff could begin within the first few weeks of 2022. I wonder what is that going to do, Omicron permitting, with how the schools & some of the workplaces will come back to normal from January.

There was also more calls from Dermot O'Leary of the NBRU asking for a 5ransport police to be set up again & what were the people in charge going to do next to prevent anti social behaviour from happening again on PT services in future.

He asked them whether they were doing nothing until some other serious incident happens on these services to try & address the problem for passengers & staff members who use them regularly.

All in all; whatever solutions come out of this ASB problem. It's going to be a very trying time for the parties involved to try & resolve it just after the new year has passed over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Tell us what you think he is saying... i think its waffle...

Transport Unions, driving demand for autonomous public transport one strike at a time

Not dismissing the ASB issue, but a strike does nothing to address the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah, cos totally automated public transport would be such a safe thing to be on, in terms of ASB. 'Twould be overflowing with passengers.

Are you under the illusion the train or bus driver can prevent ASB?

If they could there wouldn't be any issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What other options do the unions have? They've been raising the issue politely for years.

Advertisement