Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That's a right royal pain in the nuts alright, mine came with both the dial up charger and a proper cable I've a phev too. Did you buy yours from a dealer? I'm sure it would have come with both cables originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Yeah but not a main dealer. We didn’t know any better. He showed us the charger in the boot and didn’t mention the public one. We got back to him and he gave us some tosh about it being an optional extra when it was initially purchased 🤦‍♂️

I’ve looked online and can’t source a type 2 to type 1. I did find one Irish site but it wouldn’t let me checkout from my basket 🙄 I’ve rang a main dealer now and they said they can get one in by Friday. Just waiting to hear back on how much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭fafy

They are a fine charger, and by far the most discreet on the market, most people don’t even realise its an EV Charger, and it has a great user friendly and reliable app, app support is excellent. The unit is Expensive, but its a long term investment, and great to get a 3 year warranty included.

EV Power Ireland had mine installed last July, 4 weeks from order, the lead times from 2 other quotes was up to 12 weeks, but i had asked Andersen UK directly, about recommended installers in Ireland & EV Power Ireland were top of their list.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

They are the best looking charger for sure, but the most discrete is the EO Mini.

Yes EO mini is indeed very discreet, if untethered, but there is no comparison to an EO mini Pro 2 tethered, and an Andersen A2

This “hose reel” setup with EO Mini

Or, Andersen A2, all cables hidden away:

• Advertisement

absolutely, of the tethered chargers the Andersen is the one,

how anyone could look at a tethered EO at the front of their house is beyond me 😁

It might not be too bad, if its at the side of a house, out of view, i had to place our charger out front, as two cars are parked side by side, so have the Andersen A2 in the middle, so either EV can be easily charged, and had zero interest in taking cables, in and out of car boots, and back in again afterwards - especially in the cold and wet winters we get here.

Neighbour got a zappi, they are probably the next best in terms of looks, its a good option, but Andersen betters it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

It's a lot to do with the asthetics of your property. Neighbor got a zappi installed and it looks wicked. A big lump of plastic mounted on the house. It's clearly had design though put into it but it won't work everywhere.

The Andersen was outrageously expensive to install, coming in just shy of 2400 euro for us.

Brexit apparently has added a significant amount of overhead and the chap was telling me that getting them through customs has turned into a full time Job with antequated customs systems in Ireland. I'm not surprised that most of the Irish sites claiming to sell them have stopped providing quotes for installation. At the end of the day I felt it was a one off purchase and could see what several of the neighbors had done, it would annoy forever having something industrial looking at the front of the house.

I was the same, could not be looking at a hose reel setup.

€1,945 (less €600 grant) is what i paid for Andersen A2 from EV Power Ireland, in July this year, only needed the 5m tether length, fuse board was at other end of the house, roughly 7 meters away from charge point location.Came with 3 years warranty.

Definitely expensive, but delighted with it overall

I think you got lucky with your timing, I know new rules came in to effect in July/August so it's a lot more difficult on the import side. My installation was slightly more complicated as they needed a sub consumer unit in the meter box.

Out of interest, when it's run directly back to the main board, is it just a 32 amp RCB they installed or an RCBO?

• Advertisement

Its run back directly to fuse board, thats the extent of my electrical knowledge on this ! and i get up to 7.1 KW into my i3, but oddly, it drops to about 6.7 KW when charging the wife’s E-Niro.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I think the eniro measures whats going into the battery after the AC/DC conversion losses.

Also grid voltage can come into play too.

What I meant is, the Andersen A2 app, tells me these numbers are being outputted, when each EV is charging.

Could be several factors I'd guess, including coincidence. Since the cars charge on a curve it might not make any difference. Maybe the e Niro is limiting it in some way.

Not coincidence, its all the time, the output to the i3 is always higher, could be just down to better German engineering !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Interesting, Mine pulls a flat 32amps until nearly 100% (i think it start to taper around 95%)

What does the eniro say when it's charging?

I wonder does the i3 be a little bit naughty and pull more than 32amps.

On the i3, it varies, (i did say, “up to”)they all vary, but have seen it hit 7.1 KW regularly, allthough, its 6.9 to 7.0 kw most of the time, so could just be a slightly inaccurate output reading.

E-niro never goes above 6.7kw on the Andersen app- output reading.

I’l check the E-niro dash readout of the charge input, during the next charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Got my own install today. Happy enough with it and delighted they went from meter box and not fuse board as it's not visible from the front of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NCC1701

Hi. I've a similar house layout to you and have been put off thinking about going down the EV route because to get to my fuseboard would entail crawling through a roofspace in my garage conversion. Were there any problems linking up to the meter box?

Well mine is done from the meter as well. No issues what so ever. This is the set up you end up with. A new main consumer unit and your existing one becomes a sub unit. Might be marginally more expensive I'd guess due to the extras.

Post edited by Manion on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Summer2020

None whatsoever. House is quite old 30 years but the meter had been upgraded to a smart meter recently and the tails had been upgraded during that. Think he mentioned he put a mini tripswitch or something in the meter box also.

Edit as above post. I've the same mini consumer unit in the meter box now also

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NCC1701

My house is 26 years old too and I also had a smart meter installed recently. Looks like it won't be an issue to get a charger similar to yours installed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭podge3

Anyone get a "free" charger as part of a new car deal - but already have a charger?

I got the SEAI grant previously to install a charger point but have now purchased a new Kia that comes with a "free" charger. AFAIK the car maker pays for the charger and Energia cover any costs in excess of the grant.

Anyone know how this will work? Obviously I won't get the grant again but all wiring etc is in place so it should only take about 30 mins to swap out the CP.

Edit: just did a quick calculation, the "free" charger will cost about €800 in extra electricity costs over 12 months. This is before any complications with the grant etc.

Post edited by podge3 on

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭robbe

Hi,

Quick question that someone may be able to answer concerning the SEAI grant......the SEAI website says you can't proceed with the works until they have issued the offer letter it also mentions needing an application ID from the dealer. In people's experience for buying a new car where the VIN/reg no is unknown can the dealer issue the ID easily enough? I'm pretty much convinced to go tethered, the installation can, I think, happen down the side of the house so not as much of an issue with visual clutter. I won't have the money to go for a top end charger (like the Anderson one referenced in previous pages) - can anyone recommend a mid price unit? Considering either the Hypervolt or EO Mini.

Any help would be much appreciated.

That information on the Seai site I found confusing as well. You don't need anything from the dealership when you go to complete the actual form. Turn around for the letter was like a day, and is only valid for six months. If you're unsure about when you're going to get a car, maybe hold off as some dealerships are quoting 4 to 5 months lead time on new model EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭robbe

Thanks for the reply - I didn't go through the process so I'll maybe try it now, you'd think if no info was required they'd make that clear on their website. I should be taking delivery in Jan/Feb so might get cracking now. If anyone has a recomendation for a tethered mid price charger I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

Anderson does look class but are you really going to stand there twice a day putting a manky wet cable away ?

only if you have a plug in hybrid or do massive mileage! i charge once a week personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

Fair enough,

I plug mine in every weekday for the pre heating.

• Advertisement

you can preheat without having it plugged in though right?

Advertisement