Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Meter Question

Options
  • 02-12-2021 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at a retail premises to open an office. Previously there was an office on the ground floor and apartment on the first floor. Apartment hasn't been used for a number of years.

The Ground Floor always has its own ESB Meter for the supply of electricity to the occupying Tenant. The landlord has suggested that the first floor should be connected to this meter by an electrician and then obtain a certificate from the electrician and apply for my own electricity meter.

Can anyone explain this to me in laymans terms? What kind of work is involved in this? Would this be deemed a new connection and how much would it roughly cost.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I'm slightly confused by this. Will you just be using the first floor? Is there a separate fuse board for the apartment?

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Gusser09

LL will more than likely need the ESB to connect a property to a meter I would have thought. Don't think a sparks can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭allinthehead

This is correct, an electrician will need to inspect the installation, rectify any issues, possibly may need to run a new supply from the new meter, perform pre connection tests and submit a pre connection cert. LL will have to apply for a new meter. Electrician will then need to return and carry out post connection tests and issue the post connection cert.

There's no way to estimate costs on this as it depends on many factors including the size of the unit, number of electrical outlets, distance from new meter location and condition of the installation.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

Advertisement