Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you missing a bike?

Options
  • 15-05-2021 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Saw this unlocked on north strand Road near 5 Lamps. Distinctive enough bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Finnrocco wrote: »
    Saw this unlocked on north strand Road near 5 Lamps. Distinctive enough bike.
    Here

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭freewheeler

What...the....actual....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That looks like a 6th year engineering project. Steering must be interesting.

51180962584_04194a9320_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Tony Martin would love the chainring, looks like a 76 or something

Finnrocco wrote: »
    Tony Martin would love the chainring, looks like a 76 or something

It looks like a fly wheel off of a washing machine or something :D belt drive also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭randomstuff

Cool https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strida

Wouldn't mind having that as a run around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭tonytiger81

Hape

• Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That thing is a wreck, crashed landed back in the 60's , we don't even know if it's capable of flying!

Cool https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strida

Wouldn't mind having that as a run around :)

Your google fu is excellent. They're a mad looking thing but seem to have folded or at least very bespoke :Dhttps://www.strida.com/

Someone's missing it anyway, I see one popped up on adverts 5 years ago https://www.adverts.ie/electric-folding-bikes/strida-5-0-folding-bicycle/8793564

I probably would for the uniqueness but I'd imagine an A&E visit would be in a new owners future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

A guy I worked with had one for a bike-dart-bike commute so I had a go. Bit weird but it cycled fine. More upright than my Brompton.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Moved the thread out of the adverts forum..unless you're selling this absolute weapon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I spotted this the other day as well, while driving past.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 carmo13

just saw the above bike on adverts.ie for 50 euro. ad was for "fold up bike".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

carmo13 wrote: »
    just saw the above bike on adverts.ie for 50 euro. ad was for "fold up bike".
    Probably scalding hot too!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

I got bought a Strida about a year ago, it is absolutely brilliant! Really handy around town and on the Luas. Its comfortable, very nippy and highly maneuverable. Its a little strange at first a bit like a 2 wheel go-kart, twitchy steering and you cant cycle with no-hands. It folds and unfolds in 10secs!

I took it on the Luas to Brides Glen and then cycled to Ballycorus and from there to Greystones via Bray and back to the City Centre on the Dart. It was definitely not what the bike was designed for but it was doable, though the climb over Bray head was hard work with one gear. I believe there is a three speed version which might make hills a little easier. I dont think its ever going to be suitable for much more than 15km and while I can get it up pretty steep hills its a bit of a strain....on me and the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Neighbour is a truck driver, spends 4 weeks at a time tramping around the Continent.

Has one of these in the truck cab so that he can whizz around wherever he ends up on a 24 hour layover.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Thought I'D update my original post after over 2 years on the Strida.

My first impressions were wrong!!

In fact this thing is even better than I first thought, and I couldnt live without it now.

Ive got used to the twitchy handling and I am happy using it at higher speeds, but you can feel the wheels flex if you corner too enthusiasticaly. I am comfortable cycling one handed while using my phone for Google maps. The only annoying thing is that the magnet that keeps the bike 'locked' closed is prone to opening, and it allways happens when you arer rushing for the Luas!

Combined with the public transport you can go just about anywhere. Ive had no trouble whatsoever with my bike, and its had a tough life.

The only hassle is the number of people wanting to talk about it, I cant understand why more people arent using Stridas, especially as they are a fraction of the price of the 'gold standard' Brompton.

Advertisement