Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is communism as bad as people say

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think theres a misperception that people are naturally and innately selfish

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I am by no means a political expert, but I have been round a while and have given this a fair bit of thought over the years, so here's is my two cents

It's said that social democracy is a sort of slavery designed to keep the majority of wealth and power in the hands of the few, The wealthiest 1% of Americans controlled about $41.52 trillion in the first quarter

There's no way America could be described as a social democracy, where you can inherit millions tax free and where you must have health insurance to basically avoid being left to die!

There are two classes in society, the working class, who make up the majority of the population within society and must work to survive, and the capitalist class, a small minority who derives profit from employing the working class through private ownership of the means of production.

I am not sure this is the case any longer. It certainly may have been in the days of Karl Marx, but not owning a means of production is no longer a barrier to getting rich. Many have done it with just a laptop. There is much more now than in those days. You can get yourself educated in something niche and in high demand and command a very high salary while coming from a working class background and never owning the means of production.

This brings me on to another point:

Basically the theory is that communism would hand back the power to the people rather than the top 1% who maintain control and thrive under social democracies and have most of the wealth and influence over the population.

I think the main issue here is that humans are not equal. We say we are, but we are not. Some are simply better than others. This may be because they are smarter, or because they are better educated, or maybe because they simply make better decisions.

If you took €1000 and gave it to 100 random people, some of them would invest it, some of them would buy something which they could then use to make more money, some people would stick it in the bank, some people would stick it on a horse, some people would drink it the same day and go back to being poor.

Even giving everyone the same starting point, hierarchies would immediately emerge. Some people are really hard workers and some people are not. Some have a great instinct how to be entrepreneurial - those are the ones that succeed in business in capitalist societies.

If you want equity in a society of unequal people you must do it with force - you would have to crush the entrepreneurial spirit of would-be businesspeople and the work ethic of those who work hard. The hard workers would become disillusioned, the lazy would thrive.

I think myself the best system is one which gives people a good chance at improving their lot, regardless of their background, and one which ensures there's a floor of existence which might be meagre but it tolerable and has a clear route out - Scandinavian democracy is probably as close as we'll get to it.

The problem here is that Swedish people like rules, obedience and they feel a strong social obligation. Just try brining that system in in Italy and see what happens.

Just because you dont want state owned services you cant claim nobody wants them.

The UK style NHS isnt perfect but Id take that anytime and I think a significantly large portion of Irish people would too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The Berlin Wall and everything that happened around it are a perfect motif for communism. I have yet to see a communist country that doesn't have to physically block its citizens to prevent them escaping.

That said, I think communism works in small numbers. E.g families are sort of like communist entities. The economic resources are centrally controlled and allocated to benefit the whole family unit "to each according to his needs".

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People are not innately selfish but they do like to live their own lives, and make decisions for themselves, make of their life what they can.

Basic human dignity, basic human rights, basic quality of life consistently fall of a cliff in Societies trying to achieve Communism.

The mentality of those who advocate for it is akin to religious fanatics. When they see their vision is failing they look for heretics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

American communism stanning .. the words make more sense when you use them together

It would but on a larger level it quickly becomes a clunkier and more brutal version of its younger brother fascism.

You can't be against one and for the other.

Most self declared Communists are middle or upper middle class, they see themselves as the potential party hierarchy, never the one equal on the factory floor but the one equal in the factory office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Not selfish.

People are different. That is why someone like Skoda other go for Toyota. And then also colours...

In "true communism" there would have to be only one make, one model and one colour.

Someone is content with less and other look for more. Is he selfish?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But that top 1% did not get there through being idle either.

Most of the people that own the means of production own them through their own hard work, that's what separates them from the people who do not work as hard.

Sure there is nepotism, and companies are handed down through generations, but those that inherit from the previous generation are well aware of the work required to keep that company strong and grow it.

They learn and understand the work ethic required.

And those that are not will to work at it usually lose control or the companies eventually fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

If you want to know how ordinary people feel about a system of government look at how they vote with their feet.

Why do so many people from Cuba risk their lives to get to the USA but virtually zero Americans go live in Cuba.

Nah. Not at all. Theres a few centre left American politicians who are very definitely not communists.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

A couple problems with communism come to mind.

It seems too corruptible, as evidenced by the experience of a few countries that claim to operate under that ideology.

It's not really 'allowed' to exist, for example the US will go to great lengths to isolate and injure any country that undertakes a communist government. (Cuba, Venezuela). One can't really cite poverty in both those countries and claim it's a failure of communism when you have the greatest superpower on earth next door to them, economically punishing them.

You can't very successfully run a country and it's economy wildly different to your neighbours. It's a bit like someone trying to operate an organic, self sufficient, grow-your-own-food farm while being entirely surrounded by large industrial farms. It's isolating at best and you, or they, will have you impoverished.

Sigh... Communism "stanning" by Americans is very popular at the minute, communism is the new fashion trend. Americans Stanning Communism. I never said America is communist or the politicians are communist.

*Guy pictured is a millionaire.

It is trendy now.

Working class Communists are a rare find.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

It's illegal for Americans to go to Cuba (unless that's been changed recently?).

All the people who fled Cuba in the early days were people politically opposed to Castro (land owners / rich people) who made the choice to take their money to Florida and spend millions trying to kill Castro rather than stay in their own country. I've no sympathy for them, they're scumbags.

Some Cubans do still emigrate to America for economic reasons, not a massive number though. And the economic reasons are caused by America.

It seems too corruptible, as evidenced by the experience of a few countries that claim to operate under that ideology.

Of course it's corruptible

It easy to see why

Because the system mandates that we are all the same and in reality we are not, we become corrupt to eek that extra bit out of life.

From the top party official to the mechanic they take bribes.

A Polish colleague of mine was telling me about the communist era.

He said with ever transaction a bribe was involved, if you went to the mechanic (if you were lucky to have a car) you brought a bottle of whiskey, you brought flower or chocolates to the doctors office etc etc

Listen to the Eastern Border podcast, he has a litany of great examples of how corruption and bribery were all common place in the old USSR

Oh Jesus Christ... PEOPLE PRAISING COMMUNISM IS AN AMERICAN FASHION TREND AND THAT TREND SEEMS TO HAVE ARRIVED IN IRELAND GOING BY THIS THREAD. thats my post, I cant help you any more than that. 🤣🤣🤣😘

The greatest example of working communism in the world is the National Football League.

It's were the players (millionaires) and the owners (billionaires) share the spoils of their wealth.

Every few years they agree the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) which agrees what salary caps should be, how much of the revenue the players get and how things like health and wellbeing are catered for.

There are things like minimum salaries for players given the amount of years they are in the league etc etc

Then at the owners level there is the way the revenue is shared.

The revenue generated by tickets, merchandise, etc etc from each team is pooled and distributed.

The low profile Jacksonville Jaguars get a cut of the revenue from the high profile LA Rams.

Plus the TV deals are collective also.

But it's easy for them to do all that, because they are millionaires and billionaires, just like your "one equal in the factor office" example.

• Advertisement

Historically, Cubans have been among the top ten immigrant groups in the United States since 1970, and in FY 2018 were the seventh largest group, with more than 1.3 million Cubans accounting for roughly 3 percent of the overall immigrant population of 44.7 million. The United States is the top destination for Cuban immigrants, followed by Spain (141,400), Italy (37,300), Canada (19,000), Germany (13,400), and Mexico (12,900), according to mid-2019 United Nations Population Division estimates. Puerto Rico is also a top destination, with 13,600 Cubans.

Thats a huge number given how difficult it is to leave.

Its mainly ordinary people who have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,371 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

That's the sticking point.

Everyone being equal is a wonderful notion, but human nature doesn't allow for that in practice.

Every communist system has ended up with a hierarchy who just end up acting as the de facto elites within said system.

Human beings can't operate in a system where everyone is supposedly equal.

Glazers Out!

Lots of gay people and a few Jews left as well, both whom were actively despised by Castro's Govt.

Most of those leaving were not Batista supporters, anyone who supported Batista deserved a bullet.

People wanted to live their own lives as well.

The Cuban exodus is the mass emigration of Cubans from the island of Cuba after the Cuban Revolution of 1959. Throughout the exodus millions of Cubans from diverse social positions within Cuban society became disillusioned with life in Cuba and decided to emigrate in various emigration waves.[1][2][3]

The emigrants in the exodus known as "Cuban exiles" have come from various backgrounds in Cuban society, often reflected in the wave of emigration they participated in. Exiles have constructed Cuban communities that continue to preserve Cuban culture abroad, as well as garnering political influence outside Cuba.[5]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_exodus

Yeah fair enough they are pretty big numbers, but has to looked at in the environment of the US trying to destroy the country.

I like Cuba and what they've tried to do there. I think it's a better country than America in every metric that's important to me. That's just my opinion 😊

Since 2014, nearly a fifth of Venezuela’s population has left. Many of these migrants are passing through, or opting to stay in, Bolivia.

People vote with their feet.

Yeah the anti gay stuff is a black mark I agree.

Batista supporters getting killed? Not sure how much of this went on tbh, but he was running a corrupt US puppet state so I've no sympathy for anyone who kept supporting him to the bitter end.

My point being that every Batista supporter deserved it, whether they got it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,371 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

People are innately selfish.

I'd be thrilled to see you prove otherwise.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement