Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What are 06/07 E200 merc 1.8 kompressors like?

Options
  • 24-11-2021 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

I see these cars for around 1500 to 2000 euro and it seems you are getting a lot of car for the money. I like the idea of one but I don't know what they'd be like to drive or run.

Have any of you owned one?

I have a 1.4 07 petrol manual golf now, I think the merc would feel more refined and quieter, better music system.

I don't mind the extra petrol it would use as I don't drive all that much.

Any thought welcome on what its like to drive, how reliable it would be, or general owning running experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mankteln

Not the same model but I bought an 07 C180 with 170k km in January 2020 for 1250 euro. Had a good service history from main dealer, timing chain done etc, and had been in the one family since new. Interior is cloth rather than leather and had a few scuffs outside so got it at a good price.

Have done done 45k km in it so far. Have probably spent about 1500 or so in maintenance in that time though, in particular had issues with fuel pump which has led me to be on the second replacement- have a feeling some of that may have been mechanics not familiar with the model not replacing relay along with pump though, I've now found an independent with a wealth of Mercedes experience so I'd be a lot more confident. Also replaced vacuum pump (v common on this model) and one set of brake calipers+ disks after they seized one morning.

Enjoyable car to drive, RWD and nippy for the age, comfortable for longer drives.

With the E class of that age there's an issue with subframe corrosion that I've read about here and also had my uncle experience so that's something to consider. I think Mercedes usually repair for free but a bad fault nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I was researching similar engine in the SLK. Seems to be an issue with timing chain. And I know a guy personally who had to replace an engine in E200 he had from new. So I'm afraid I wouldn't.... bad enough when a surprise fault happens but these seem to be ticking time bombs. And that's why they seem cheap.

BUT... if you get one that's had main dealer timing chain replaced maybe it's worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Ah they also generally big old care, high tax, can't be light on petrol. There are also so many of them about, they aren't rare, they must be pre resession stuff, lots about, lots with high mileage so can't be too bad, but then its like my dad says there are still almeras around and I said but there were millions of them about when new.

A car I looked at before was the supercharged mini, nearly none left, engine supposedly the issue.

And is it the M62 engine, first hot v engine with turbos between the V. I heard an machanic in the USA being interviewed, he was saying that engine paid for his house, all the ones needing repairs, he worked in honda before that and said it was boring you just did maintaninence, oil changes etc so he left Honda. He did say though, Honda have engines that usually aren't making much power so aren't getting stressed or hot. But still interesting, the bloke is a BMW machanic who has been drifting 12 years and never uses a BMW engine.

they're better than 02 to 05 W211/S211.

Not easy on fuel. Engine/Auto gearbox never happy in any particular gear and keeps changing. 6 cylinder would be better but then tax gets crazy.

Not particularly quiet.

Artico synthetic leather cracks.

Condition more important than age when you get over 10 years of age. I have my eye on a specific one when the current owner retires from driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

I just like the idea of one for 6 months, it probably would help I'm a bloke who'd abut 17 rwd cars before I went back to college for a career change. Not had a rwd in a while so the merc I'm sure would have tires pumped to 60 psi in the rain sometimes for some fun, poor car would have a stroke. I'd a lent of a mk5 gti before, lovely car and seemed to take about, had boost up d a bit with re map or something, we add octane booster also nad clutch said no thanks and was slipping, but was fine once octane booster was gone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement