Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Would Happen If You Change Gear To Reverse While Driving

• 30-11-2021 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

According to this https://www.motorhowto.com/change-gear-to-reverse-while-driving

Essentially, nothing will happen because it is impossible to change gears to reverse while you are driving. This holds true for both manual and automatic transmissions. However, for older cars, what would happen is that the engine would stall and would act like it’s in neutral, which can be dangerous.

Curious if anyone has tried this with their own car and has any personal experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The description of what would happen isn’t accurate. Your car certainly won’t act like it’s in neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Innov

Even in the newer cars where there is protection built-in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

I attempted to go from first gear in reverse to second gear in reverse while reversing fast in an industrial estate on a quiet Saturday morning. The car did not have a second reverse gear, and did not like my attempt to go from reverse to probably 2nd forward gear. It did not like it and made lots of grinding noise. I have performed the reverse u turn to forward maneuver seen in movies, but only on company cars, the car went from reverse to second gear ok, but car was briefly near stopped in the middle from reverse, sliding u turn, to forward and away.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Clutch go BOOM

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

id fcuking kill you if it was my company! interesting experiment though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Going from reverse to first or 2nd whilst still reversing is however possible, and is part of the "J turn".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Going from a forward gear to reverse without stopping can't be good for the gearbox at all. The same would apply from reverse to a forward gear. Are people routinely doing J turns these days or something? I must have missed that memo. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

The memo is written in tyre marks on all straight roads in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

Reminds me of this. https://youtu.be/kw5u1YOgs5g

Quite a funny channel actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Mythbusters tried it on an old civic and couldnt get it into the reverse gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Donegal has nothing on Cork, they don't even bother looking for a straight patch to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I remember watching some show about a place like disney land or some such that had acts with cars doing stunts and they could go from forward to reverse but they had a special gearbox that enabled them to do it. A standard car you wouldn't be able to but if you did manage to put it into reverse from 2nd or 3rd you would strip the teeth off the reverse shaft/gear and would need to get your gearbox rebuilt. Same would happen if you were doing high speeds on motorway in 5th or 6th and slapped it into first gear.

Advertisement