Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A&R Marketplace - Arcade and Retro 3D Printing Service

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Hyzepher wrote: »
    You think you could print a pinball lockdown bar?

Do you have the file to print?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I'll check if i have green in the required material, but i definitely have black. Sure I can include the Game and Watch stand.

As for the drone, take it slow at first and get the hang of it. Don't be like me and go mental on your first flight. I got DJI's first Phantom drone years ago and didn't read the manual or do much research. I learned my lesson pretty quickly that day :0/

Those arrived today and are perfect!
    Thanks again!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Those arrived today and are perfect!
    Thanks again!

Good stuff, An Post took their time on this one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Would anyone have a suggestion where I could get this thing printed? The four section one? My son loves marbles, well tbh I'd love this thing too! And any idea of cost.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4429805

*Appreciate it's not retro so no offence taken at all if this post gets deleted.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

@Steve X2 hey Steve, have you ever done any printing for c64 cart cases? I want to buy an Epxy Fast load cart, but to buy them with a cart shell direct from the UK is working out at nearly 50 euro. Sordan sell them too, but the reset button is located in a different spot to the futurewas8bit versions https://sordan.ie/product/706/epyx-fastload-cartridge-commodore-64-disk--sd2iec-turbo-loader/

Yes I printed a few C64 and custom C64 cases over the years. Handy enough print if it's just a standard case. Looking at sordans pcb, are you'd looking for a standard case with a hole or something like that just over the reset button?

Exactly Steve yeah, something bog standard but with access to the reset button where they have placed it. That said, it'd prob be a bit of an issue actually being able to reach down to the pcb button, from the top of a case would it?

On a different note, have you done anything in the area of GPU supports? Ie, the little pillars or bars that are poised on the far end of a gpu? I've a build to start here son enough and there's a chungus 3080Ti smiling at me, daring me to not support it! (they really are massive cards!). I was looking at the online, and it seems a bit of a minefield in terms of retail ones....plus with China now more or less out of the picture due to An Post, maybe 3D Printing one can yield some good results?

I mean I cut just make the hole bigger to allow a finger to fit in (Jesus! 😄). But in all seriousness, if i make the opening too big it might not look great.There's the simple option of making a small hole to allow a button extension to go through the body of the case and touch the button itself, But as i dont have the PCB getting that perfect might be a bit of a job. I've my test printer beside me here in the office and its not in use, i can see if i can extrapolate the pcb dimensions from the image on the sordan site come up with a dummy pcb design.

I found a C64 custom case I designed in Fusion 360 back at the start of the year. I can't remember what the plan was for it. But i added vents so i must have been thinking of sticking something hot in there.

As for the GPU support.There's a lot of options out there, from simple to complex. I like the simple "support jack" below. But i don't think it'd go with most peoples case setup.

Have a look on thingiverse and PrusaPrinters and see if you find a design you like.

That case looks ideal Steve, barring the vents and potential for a finger sized hole (!). Would it be very hacky if I were to desolder the existing reset switch, and just mount it to the top of the case from the inside (therefore the case would only need a small hole), and just reconnect it to the pcb via some wiring? Are different case colours an option?

Re the GPU stand, I'll have a look now on those sites Steve, cheers. It'll be an all white build with a tempered glass side, so I really need to find the right look.

If you're willing to desolder it then you can have the button wherever you think works best. I can just stick whatever size opening you think you'll need. As for colours, basically whatever you like. I just got a new vanilla white from Prusa yesterday that looks well if you're looking for that slightly off white finish(i picked it up to see how it goes with Amiga's and other white and off white retro gear). But I can do most colours so just let me know. The case i posted above is galaxy black prusa plastic which has fine metallic glitter in it. You probably want a solid colour I would imagine?

Vanilla White:

Anyway, a quick design and a very quick print and this is what I think the Sordan board will look like in the C64 cart case. I might be off by a millimeter here and there, but it fits the case and i can screw it closed so it must be pretty close. Lots of free(wasted?) space inside. Might need a smaller case.

• Advertisement

Steve that's incredible, thanks so much for that. Aye I'd say a smaller "stubby" case would be preferable, however not strictly needed, only if its not too much hassle on the design end.

I'd say the off white might go quite well with the C64C styling?

Re the opening, I suppose the handiest thing would be to flip the button 90 degrees, and have it on the "top" of the cart, as opposed to the front if you get me? Might be better for the connectors then too as they're not being pressed down upon each time. Not sure how much work is involved in making that happen though?

No problem on the stubby case as its just a quick edit on the sketch in Fusion 360. Do you want it very short, or a bit of free room for cables?

Smaller than this?

Steve that looks great, and I think the bit of space for wiring is the way to go yeah. How is the material for making openings in? It's too difficult to calculate the opening required for the button press, so the old fashion Dremel might work if the material is up to it? Slow and steady obv....

Thanks again Steve, super helpful as always

I'd definitely recommend having the hole in place. I have those buttons here and the square base is 6mm x 6mm x 3.5mm. Maybe a small 6x6mm square hole somewhere to allow the button to be placed? But its up to you of course. Those buttons are definitely 6mm x 6mm though.

Ah then that's perfect, I thought you'd have to try and extrapolate the size of the button from the Sordan image! Fire ahead with the 6x6 so, I'll prob let half of the metal base of the button protrude from the hold, and try mount the switch into place from there (it'll need to withstand presses, so as much as I'm not a fan of hot glue, it might have to suffice here given what there is to work with?)

Jusr on the GPU Sag Support front Steve.....there's a lot of mad designs out there. I found one that matches the case AND model GPU I'll be using, but the site is a bit unknown to me, so it could be missing some essential printing info? The file is available to download, and is STL.....but after that I haven't a clue - https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/gpu-bracket-support (there's also no reviews of it which isn't ideal!) Failing that I think I'll have to actually assemble the machine to see what measurements I'm working with, before I choose an adjustable one...

Sounds like a plan. Now, just let me know where you want the button hole to be.

Here?

The GPU stand is an easy print. But, as it'll be in there next to some pretty toasty components I wouldn't do it in PLA plastic as it'd turn to mush and sag pretty quickly. The best material I have is high quality PC(Polycarbonate), but only in Jet Black. PETG might also be ok for the stand, and i have that in quite a few colours and blends. I also have ASA in jet black, thats basically ABS plastic, just a little better.

Re the switch, would it mount nicely in whatever half of the case houses the pcb? Instead of half and half. That way, the shell can be opened completely without having to worry about wires pulling etc....

Re the stand, sounds like PETG in the whitest white you have might be an option Steve? Depending on the thermal durability of PETG obviously. I plan to have three front intake fans feeding fresh air in, and the rad will be top mounted pushing heat out, so I'd be hopeful there'd be decent airflow in that area....but then the gpu is going to generate some proper heat at the same time.....hmm

Could do it like this.

Then the other side of the cart closes the hole.

Then if you need to file/sand the opening to make it bigger for some reason it will be easier with less chance of cracking the plastic.

Edit:

Could you leave the original button in place and just patch in a new one? Might be easier than unsoldering?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aussel-10Values-Tactile-Momentary-Assortment/dp/B01N67ICEC/

@Steve X2 that new image is nigh on perfect, exactly what i had in mind. I suppose I COULD swap in a long leg switch too, good thinking, but I think I prefer the snug/non protruding look of the relocated one as shown in your mock up above.

What do you reckon on the PETG front for that gpu support? Thermals make it questionable?

• Advertisement

PETG should be ok in there. I'm not sure I have it in white, but I'll be in the workshop tomorrow and can see what I have there.

I run a 3090 in my main pc so i know just how hot these things get. With most PLA plastics(the most common stuff used in 3D printing) once the temps get to 45-60c it starts to soften. With PETG your talking around 75-90c and the polycarbonate blend i use(Prusament) is fine until around 110-120c.

Meant to reply here yesterday.

I've got some nice white PETG to do that GPU bracket. Do you want to maybe to a final look around to make sure thats the one you want?

I'm a tad hamstrung re other designs because I don't yet know how much height there will be between the lower side of the gpu, and the top of the Psu shroud. I'm putting the build together in two weeks, so maybe I'll wait until I've some idea of measurements before commiting?

Unless that one I chose is handy/quick/cheap/easy to print? If so I'll take a gamble on it and just grab it and the C64 shell together...

The one you picked is a very easy and quick print. I think my main concern is it just doesn't look like its very strong. But it might work perfectly for you.

There is always the option on the adjustable one, but i don't think you're in love with the design(could be printed in all white) :)

I'm not completely enamoured with the adjustable one, more so because it looks like a chungus. Here's the look I'll be going for...

I might have to just bite the bullet on it though if the custom one doesn't work out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve you are truly gifted man!

• Advertisement

Again, it's not a hidden bracket, but another option at least. The brackets are all simple prints so that's not a concern. Just what looks good to you and what will work.

Haha, thanks. But there isn't really that much to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

I think Einstein said the same!*

*may not be factual evidence!

Aye that's another decent interesting one. My concern here is for all I know, is the support pad lands smack bang in the middle of a fan (it's a triple fan design).

Maybe I'll just grab the adjustable one you mentioned, AND the bespoke one I found....would that be a runner Steve? Along with refined C64 cart too. Plus yeah, I agree with Doge....much skill!

Yep, can do both the 2 brackets and the cart no problem. You actually got me interested in that fastloader from Sordan, so i ordered one myself and it should be here tomorrow. So i can do a proper size test with it 🙂

• Advertisement

Fantastic, thanks for all your time and effort Steve. Pm me the bill when suits and we'll sort the rest out from there

Will send you a PM later today and we'll sort out that.

The fastloader arrived this morning. Fits like a glove in my test prints. I think I'll do some sort of version that allows the reset without moving the current button and stick it up on thingiverse in case other people have a need for it.

Vanilla White PLA

Ultramarine Blue PETG

Neon Green PETG

My prints arrived last week from Steve, only got to pick them up today. Good lord thr quality is a sight to see, seriously seriously impressed with them. I will definitely be back to you for more stuff Steve, thank you again.

I'll post pics of them as to get to the various projects over the next while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Hi Steve, @KeRbDoG sent me :)

I see your website http://www.thingsin3d.com is closed but you are still posting on this topic so hopefully you are still doing 3D prints. No worries if not.

I was trying to get a few items from USA but items are either out of stock or have ludicrous UPS shipping (close to €200 for shipping)

Would you have the capacity to be able to print the below and give me a price? (If I'm asking for too much just tell me to get lost!)

1. LCD Holster for Darksoft CPS2 Multi LCD module: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2700983 (Ideally in the the "CPS2 JAP Green" colour or black)
    2. Darksoft CPS2 Multi / F3 Multi LCD Selector Housing: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2413990  (again, ideally in the the Jap CPS2 Green colour)
    3. Sega ST-V Titan Arcade Cartridge (and multicart) Housing: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1786140 (grey cart colour or otherwise whatever colour you have handy)
    4. Sega ST-V Multicart LCD Selector Enclosure: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1881571 (same colour as the cart)
    5. GC Loader SD Mount: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4828977 (black or spice orange :)

Shipping would be to Dublin or I can collect depending on where you are.

God looking through the thingverse site really makes be want a 3D printer!

Thank you Steve!

Post edited by 80s Synth Pop on

Hey, yes that site is gone and I now use https://www.gadunky.com/ as my main 3D print and laser work site.

I'm in the US at the moment and will be home on Monday so can have a proper look at these models and what's involved then. I'd guess all are ok to print, but will confirm on Monday or Tuesday.

Colour wise, not sure I have a green that's a good match, but I do have some shades of green as well as a couple types of orange(not spice orange though as that's sort of a orange/red mix I think). I have a plenty of black(standard, jet black and with metallic flecks) and white filament and i think there's a few spools of grey or grey like material.

Some pics of recent and older work done(Laser as well as FDM and Resin 3D Prints) :

Hi,

Sorry for coming back on this one sooner. I'm up the walls at the moment so I'm not sure when I'd be able to get these done for you.

I know some others here one the group have a 3D Printer now, so maybe its time to officially open this thread to allow others to print things for people?

What do you think @Optimus Prime , is this allowed under the forum rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

No worries at all Steve. I was asking for too much :D

I picked up the main item: the "CPS 2 Multi selector case" from 8 bit district in USA. I was really worried about handling the bare PCB all the time selecting games so I'm delighted to have that one.

The other items I would still love to buy but I'll check the 8 bit district web site from time to time and maybe they will come back into stock eventually.

Cheers!

Just so you know, all of those things you want printed would come out well on a 150-200 euro printer with 20 euro of plastic material(or more if you want multiple colours). Just so you have an idea in your head in case someone quotes you sill money for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hi, yeh id say the best way to do it is if other members want to offer their services to print arcade and retro related items then i can setup a separate sticky threads for each person. If you want to stop for a while yourself because you are busy, then i can just archive the thread and re-open it back up if you want to do it again down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

Not sure you are still currently providing this service or are still snowed under with work. But I'll ask anyway.

Looking to get a few Neo Geo Pocket Color AA and CR battery covers printed.

Two small parts but difficult to get hands on (without a printer).

Let me know. Thanks.

Similar question Steve, don't want to be annoying you for small jobs...so maybe a list builds up it might make more sense? Looking for one or two of these - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4361067

If you link the parts I can check them out to see if they are good to print.

That's a very straightforward one to print so would only take 30 mins or so. Most expensive bit would be the postage, so up to yourself if you want to wait and get a few bits together. I'd do that in PETG plastic which should be strong enough and heat resistant enough for that application. But if you think there will be temps over 100c then I'd go with Polycarbonate.

Super Steve, I'll compile a list of any bits and pieces I need and get in touch about a bulk order. Makes more sense. Thanks (as always!)

That looks ok. What colour is the Neo Geo Pocket? Just wondering if I have anything close to the original, or at least a complimentary colour.

I have a bunch that I'm trying to resurrect, if they could be close colour matched (blue, grey, black, clear; that would be great but that's probably more hassle, a single colour, white or clear would work just fine.

Probably the best thing is to tell me which Neo Geo Pockets you have an I can compare them to what plastics I have here. I have every version of the console so I can compare it in person to get the best match. I have loads of colour options so can get as close as possible. Clear will not really be clear on an FDM printer, more of clear frosted look, so its not a universal best option on these things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hi Steve,

Can you let me know if you are back in the lithophane business, a need a gift for a friend of mine and one of these would be simply perfect.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement