Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Austria hits panic button.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,039 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No, no one does, thats kinda the point!

We vaccinate children all the bloody time, or at least those who have a clue do. Polio anyone? MMR? chickenpox? The bloody flu!

Except thats not how things work.

Vaccines do work, however they do not prevent disease.

How difficult is this for people to understand?

The vaccines we have today are doing exactly what they were designed to do, however if people keep getting COVID then the virus is going to keep mutating and will mutate into something that our current vaccines dont cover. We may be able to modify the vaccines to cover the new variants, but maybe not, maybe some new strain will be much more contagious, or have much worse and more widespread long term problem, or hell just kill more people.

Congratulations on truly breaking new ground.

The virus at the heart of a global pandemic that has killed millions of people being compared to climbing a tree. The mind truly boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

The anti-vaxxers, as they clearly don't have a scientific or indeed logical argument against vaccination, will generally set up these impossible tollgates as a measure of success for the vaccines. And then, when these impossible tollgates 'fail' to be met they will triumphantly claim victory.

You literally can't argue with them based on facts and empirical reasoning so why bother?

As the old saying goes: "never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Yeah i flinched when i read the post you quoted. Such an odd comparison. As if climbing a tree somehow changes ones immune system in things like this.

Im a huge rock climber. Hours and hours out side in any conditions on the edge of any cliff, i train super hard..

I have asthma which flares up and debilitates me if i get a lung virus.. Being tough and athletic has no bearing on this. While moderate exercise is required for a healthy body... thinking it does anything but add a few % chance of recovering faster is delusional.

Im shocked such ancient thinking still exists in such an educated world where it takes 15 minutes to learn how the basics of an immune system work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

How can you still hold such a view when the numbers of people that are unvaccinated are having significantly higher representation in ICU than those with the vaccine?

Its so simple to see. If you have the vaccine, you are less likely to need ICU. If you dont have the vaccine, you are more likely to need ICU.

Anything that reduces your chances of going to ICU is the good move, because if you are in ICU.. you are in serious trouble .

And there are many examples of elite athletes catching a bad case of COVID and longer term impacts.

And that's just focussing on the benefits to you, the receiver of the vaccine.

The real benefit is to society at large; a hospital system that can function without being overwhelmed by unvaxxed very sick covid patients, an economy that can reopen, a society where people can safely mingle.

The decision not to take a safe, effective vaccine should be called out for what it is: selfish, ignorant behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Right. And the MMR is also provided under a conditional marketing authorisation?

We vaccinate children against things that damage them. Vaccinating children to protect (largely) the over 60s is frankly ghoulish, and I really hope the public mind is changing on this. Certainly, it seems to be getting easier to actually speak these truths now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

That's inaccurate.

Vaccines reduce the risks of hospitalization, that's all.

They do not prevent the spread of Covid nor the they protect against becoming infected.

Mutations occur so long as the virus is free to circulate, which unfortunately is the case with both vaxxed and unvaxxed

• Advertisement

Not Austria but similar playbook: the Greek government will start fining people €100 per month from January if they have not had at least one dose.

Applies to over-60s initially.

Vaccines reduce the impact of the disease and your ability to spread it, by reducing your viral load.

No one said they prevent spread or protect against infection, but you keep banging that strawman.

The more people that are vaccinated the harder it is for the vaccine to circulate, which makes it harder to mutate.

Polio and chickenpox are worse in adults, we vaccinate everyone, when they are young, to try to eradicate them, for everyones benefit.

You seem to believe that children live in isolation. Children have parents and grandparents. Children become parents and grandparents.

Your "truths" are typical anti-vax nonsense.

How well will your kid do when they arrive in ER appendicitis but the hospital is full of all these old people? Perhaps they can climb a tree for some relief?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

All of which are deadly...

Covid19 deaths among children are almost non existent, youngest death in Ireland was 14...

Statistically, flu is more deadly than Covid19 for children

You're just ranting at this stage, blatantly avoiding the point.

Meanwhile, the situation is still

"The impact of vaccination with Comirnaty on the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in the community is not yet known. It is not yet known how much vaccinated people may still be able to carry and spread the virus."

So there isn't even an objective basis for a ghoulish policy of vaccinating children to protect old people.

Do grandparents generally want to inflict an unnecessary risk on their grandchildren? I doubt it.

Which would be useful if children lived in isolation, but they dont.

Whats the unnecessary risk?

Do grandchildren want to inflict unneccessary risk on their grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles and the rest of the world?

People still die from bullet wounds when wearing bullet proof vests, would you ignore a vest since they are not 100% effective? How about seatbelts? Airbags?

Sweet, can you show us anything that backs up your assertion that vaccines are doing nothing? Can you point to some studies or even countries who are not using any vaccines but are doing better than those who are?

What do you think the spread would be without the vaccine?

100%

don't be suckered into the 'covid doesn't hurt children, so why force them to be vaxxed' discussion?

We vax children, and indeed healthy adults, for the exact same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

Sorry but where is the logic there, the people they live with, come in contact with, should be vaccinated to the max right?

The vaccines are clearly not highly effective at stopping transmission but are very effective at preventing hospitalisation and/or deaths.

The incidences of children needing hospitalisation are very very low.

So who does vaccinating children help?

Im vaccinated myself but will not be in any rush to vaccinate my children… where is the benefit? A marginal reduction in transmission which could be negated by a variant within a few months?

• Advertisement

Everyone should be to try to wipe out the virus and avoid a worse variant. Also, not everyone can get the vaccination, do we just abandon them in your opinion?

How can you possibly say they are not effective? Can you show a comparison of an isolated society that is without a vaccine that is performing better than the rest of us? Our numbers now are comparable to before the delta variant, which is much more transmissible. We would be positively overrun without a vaccine, unless of course your plan is for all the vulnerable people to have died off by now?

For the millionth time, we vaccinate everyone for everyones benefit, doesnt matter if the children themselves are not at immediate risk, they will be in 10 years time if we have some super variant that emerged as a mutation because we didnt quell the virus now.

Define "marginal" and please show your sources? There are quite a few children in the world...

Oh and this variant that you think could emerge, where do you think thats coming from?

This virus will not be wiped out, it’s too transmissible. It’s going to be endemic, so let’s drop that fantasy please.

We have had official numbers now for a few weeks, of approx 4000+ Cases per day. Of those, kids under 12 make up 25%. The rest are coming from our highly vaccinated adult population. So the vaccine may be somewhat effective at stopping transmission, but clearly, vaccinations are not going to reduce the spread of this virus down to nothing.

On your question of what to do with those that can’t get the vaccination, well, they presumably are already isolating themselves from everybody, because plenty of vaccinated people are transmitting it.

As an adult I took the decision to get vaccinated myself, knowing that we simply do not know if there are any downsides to it, in the long term. We do not know because it is a new vaccine and the only way to tell is by allowing time to pass.

making that decision for your children is a different matter.

not interested in future scariants of covid. Much like the flu there will be good and bad years. Covid is here to stay.

When the vaccines have been proven and safe for long term use, then I would weigh up the risk vs benefit and see then if it’s worth getting children vaccinated.

Lets not forget, this is a moving target. This spring and summer was vaccines will get us out of it. Clearly that is not the case. Vaccines are just about keeping the wolf from the door.

It's certainly too transmissible if >25% of our population aren't vaccinated.

I don't know how you can make your bold statement without anything to back it up. Can you show a system that had 100% vaccination that didnt stop the vaccine? If everyone possible was vaccinated then the virus would have severe difficulty mutating and we would get on top of it with newer versions of the vaccine. If its a moving target then this is clearly much, much harder.

So your plan for those who can't be vaccinated is that they just isolate until they die....seems legit.

They are not "scariants", the virus will mutate, thats what they do, its trying to survive and spread, like every other organism on the planet. How will you judge the long term impacts to children if you wont let any children take it? Rely on other peoples children is it? Nice.

Its a moving target because its still spreading because people are not vaccinated! The reason the wolves are at the door is that there are unvaccinated people hiding behind the bloody door.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ok. I only just saw this now. This missing word could have been "avoid" rather than "take"

Out of interest, why should kids take the vaccine? What's the main benefit do you think?

Why should kids take the vaccine? The answer is simple - to protect them. Kids get other vaccines too. If the vaccine is approved by the medical community as safe and effective for them to take, then they should take it. It will protect them, and also protect their classmates.

They could also wear safety helmets whenever outdoors as a de-risking strategy for knocks, falls etc would you also support this?

When they are doing risky activities - then of course. When biking or rollerblading or skateboarding or horse-riding etc. Helmets are mandatory when playing hurling and other games too.

You balance the risk with the inconvenience. Getting a vaccine shot is a 5 minute commitment (well you go twice but you know what I mean). If that 5 minute commitment will protect you from a virus that is circulating everywhere then it should be done. Like the HPV vaccine that wasn't being given out. It would have saved many young womens lives if it had been. It should have been done.

Simple question. If you had a child (or even a young relative, younger sibling or niece/nephew etc.). Suppose they are due to go to their friend's house for a sleepover because it's their friend's birthday. Would you stop your child from going if the birthday child was coughing and sneezing with covid but still wanted the sleepover?

The lancet study

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00648-4/fulltext

published Oct 29 2021 concluded that 2 dose vaccines were 34% effective at preventing transmission of the Delta variant in household settings. So ‘some what’ effective at best. 100% vaccination is neither possible, nor would it stop transmission if it was.

This does not solve the problem for those who cannot be vaccinated. So yes, if covid is going to kill them if they get it, they need to be very very careful because transmission of the virus is not stopped by vaccination. Thats not my plan, that’s just the facts of the matter .

Im not saying I won’t let any children take it, I am saying I won’t let mine. I am not relying on anybody else’s children to take it either, I have no intention to give my children the vaccine as there is no benefit to my children in doing so, while there is a risk of the unknown. If nobody else wants to give it to their kids that’s absolutely fine with me.

From talking with friends, all of whom are college educated, intelligent people, no issues with well established vaccines, the sentiment is much the same as what I am saying.

I see you have decided that it’s the unvaccinated that are driving this… so I won’t engage any further. Vaccines thankfully break the link between cases and hospital admissions. Great, but kids don’t factor into hospital admissions much at present. If the facts change, I would revisit this, but definitely not putting them at even the slightest bit of unnecessary risk for no benefit to them and a marginal reduction in transmission for everyone else.

I presume we can agree that 34% is significantly better than 0%?

So whats the r0 in that setting? Perhaps 34% prevention of transmission is enough to wipe it out in a household setting? I also note that this is in relation to the Delta variant, how much better off would we be if we had vaccinated before the Delta variant? How much before the Omicron variant becomes the dominant strain?

These intelligent, college educated friends, any of them in a related field? Any of them immunologists perhaps? If not then their opinion doesnt really matter a damn. The could have the finest Arts degrees and I still wouldnt value their opinion any more than I would value Einsteins opinion on fashion.

The people who's opnions that do matter are the experts in the field, and they recommend that everyone takes the vaccine.

The fact that kids dont count for hospital admissions does nothing to address the idea that children are spreading the virus and keeping it active within the community. The longer is stays active the more chance of a worse strain appearing. Again you say marginal reduction, without any evidence or source to back this up.

I'm not sure where you're taking this, and expect it will be the Covid equivalent of "only the true Messiah denies his divinity".

If your child was coughing and sneezing with a cold, you wouldn't send them out to a party, never mind Covid.

If someone phoned me after my child was at a party, and said "just to know, our kid has just been diagnosed with Covid", I'd thank them for the information and look at whatever the advice is around testing and isolation in such cases.

But I wouldn't be worried about my child's health. At all. And, to be clear, all of ours got all the usual vaccines, like BCG and MMR. Didn't think twice about that. This is obviously different, for reasons that shouldn't require so much repetition.

The difference is that you didn't read as many posts on facebuke from (somehow perennially unemployed and on the dole) medical research scientists who told you Bill Gates was putting chips in the covid vaccines.

Lets hope the bould Billy doesn't get the brainwave of putting his chips into the MMR vaccine!! 😮

BTW, you never answered the question but tried to deflect it by answering a different one. Would you allow your child to go somewhere where you knew others there had covid? Because not allowing them to go won't prevent them from ever getting covid. Allowing them to go doesn't mean they will definitely get it. And you are convinced that it won't harm your child...and it is reasonable to assume that your child will catch it sooner rather than later (everyone will come in contact with it eventually).

The basic question being would you try to protect your child from catching it if you could?

• Advertisement

How, in your opinion, did we get to the point where you didn't have to think twice about BCG & MMR?

What makes/made them "usual" vaccines? Considering that 4.28Bn people have taken a covid vaccine, at least 2 doses.

Advertisement