Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The case I can't forget-Rachel O'Reilly

• 29-11-2021 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭

Good detailed documentary on RTE at the mo....god he really hung himself by his own rope revelling in it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Very good so far 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Xander10

Decent doc. The heartbreak for her parents is unbearable.

RIP

Not a complaint (an observation is all)... Ya could have given the name 'Callaly' in thread title OP out of respect - to get rid of association.. Pity posters can't change these things 😴

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

The late late show unwittingly in the mix of having Graham o dywer and Joe O Reilly in their studios after both committing murders and both now jailed for their crimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,139 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Another sick thing is both of these 'monsters' might be friends inside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,914 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The house was sold 6 years ago, not sure I would ever be able to put the murder out of my mind...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/oreilly-death-home-sells-for-80k-over-original-asking-price-31456125.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,804 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Shouldn't O' Reilly be nearing the end of his sentence soon?

I'd expect him to be moved to an open prison soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Tork

Yes, he's nearing the end of his sentence. I think that's why his lawyers aren't pursuing the phone records angle like Graham Dwyer's are. I listened to Nicola Tallant's podcast recently where she spoke to Jenny Friel (who was also on last night's documentary). Interestingly, she said at the end that Joe O'Reilly's kids believe he is innocent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,569 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he has only done 14 years. he has a good few years to go yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

From the documentary last nite that Rachel accused him of having a affair and was going to leave him ....the night before her murder the following morning...may have been the detonator for the fatal attack he did to her that morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep... hopefully.

hed be an absolute danger... numerous Gardai who worked on the case actually are on record maintaining that he’s actually a psychopath...as in a psychological diagnosis not just because he killed.

I wouldn't be at all surprised. I went to school with his brother and he was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Very interesting documentary, especially the detectives bit regarding the late late show and them interviewing those who worked on the show.

I'm surprised the cctv footage of the car along with O'Reillys alibi at broadstone shown to be him lying, along with the fact he was having an affair wouldn't be enough to charge him.

It is kinda interesting looking back at when this happened. I was only a kid when it happened and looked at Rachel/Joe as these mature adults and now I'm older than both of them at that time.

It's hard to know what he was thinking. He didn't plan it well. You'd think if he was planning it that he'd have a better alibi. How did he know Pelley was going to stay with him after murdering someone? He could have used her as an alibi.

He was back and gone within 40 minutes. You'd think there'd be at least some evidence at the house, clothes with blood. Footprints etc. Some evidence left behind. I know he made sure to get her blood on him when he came in with the parents but still...Even interviews with his work colleagues, was he acting different etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

Great watch, always amazed at people who slate RTE when they regularly put out stuff like this, you wouldn't find a documentary half as good on the rubbish Netflix serve up.

Really baffled as to how the DPP wasn't convinced by his phone showing him to have blatantly lied about his location, but reporting a second hand conversation was more than enough, when combined with the phone evidence that originally wasn't enough!?

Seems to me if his girlfriend had invoked her right to silence they wouldn't have got a case- a woman claiming her friend told her about something her boyfriend had said- all second hand, surely wouldn't get too far.

With such a circumstantial case one wonders if the DPP would have accepted a guilty plea to manslaughter, he probably would have got 12 years, out in 9.

18 would be the typical served on a life sentence. Extensions are usually only granted if the killer is believed to be an ongoing danger to random members of the public (Graham Dwyer could be one who would fall under this after his 18 years) or where the release would be a danger to public order (there's five lads from the Limerick feud who should have been getting out early this year for the Owen Tracey murder who don't seem to be heading anywhere soon).

Other exemption would be murders treated as an attack on the state itself (Garda killers, Brian Meehan who murdered Guerin is still in jail, 25 years in 2022, due out then I think)

the average is 20 years served for murder for those released in 2019. i cant see him getting out that soon.

I was surprised that O'Reilly seemed to be on bail during his trial., presumably well before it too. I would have thought he would be regarded as too much of a flight risk, or at risk of harassing his girlfriend/ her friend into recanting the statements they gave to Gardai, or even a risk of harming Rachel's parents if he felt he was bang to rights and blamed them. Did he have visitation rights to his kids during this period? Who got custody of them? And was he the sole beneficiary of the house being sold?

his parents had custody of the kids I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,994 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

His mother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The fact that hes never admitted his guilt would also go against early release presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The usual debate...

Cases like this happen all the time, for a lot of reasons. Of course he is to be released upon completing his sentence, no matter what armchair experts diagnose him with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,886 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nobody is ever released after completing a life sentence 🙄

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Extensions are usually only granted if the killer is believed to be an ongoing danger to random members of the public

It's as if killing a woman you know is a lesser offence.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

A couple of things the detective said didn't seem correct to me.

He said burglars don't go around opening all drawers and overturning tables. I'd have thought they'd have done exactly that, smashed everything to see where the money is hidden.

Similarly he said burglars don't bury or hide stolen goods somewhere to then go back and get it. This I know for a fact isn't true as I know of multiple examples where cars were stolen and they were parked in a location not far from where they were stolen. Same with bikes.

Most murders are committed by a person who had a close connection to the victim. Just because he killed his spouse doesn’t mean he will kill again. It’s perfectly possible that he never offends again upon release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

YEah I thought that was funny too.

We were burgled and they went through all the drawers and wardrobes. Every one in the whole house. They even pulled out the contents of the drawers in the freezer. And my camera and other halfs purse were found thrown in a ditch down the road a week later by a neighbor.

Maybe it was Joe O'Reilly that burgled us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think maybe it was because her hand bag with money visible were left of the table untouched made them question why pull everything about when easy pickings are in plain sight?

That means nothing though.

Obviously not the case with the O'Reily murder but i imagine a normal scenario with a burglar might happen like so.

If an intruder is interupted by a woman coming home they are not going to go through her bag. They are going to run. Or if they kill her and run, they still wont stop to take her handbag. They probably would also dump anything they robbed after thinking about it, if it ended up in a murder.

Plus the stuff about a burglar not opening drawers is definitely not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭standardg60

The play's the thing wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king.

The reaction of the perpetrator upon returning to the scene of the crime was always going to be the most difficult part for o'reilly and he'd clearly given it some thought. Would it be too obvious to immediately declare that she'd been murdered or was it better to play dumb and think she'd had a fall, giving the impression he'd no idea what a murdered person looked like.

He'd already started along that narrative when mentioning a possible fall to her mother when asking her to go and check on Rachael. It was a pretty telling aspect even in itself.

Any woman who may get involved with him in the future (aware of his past, or not) is as deserving of protection as any random person walking down the street.

There is an unspoken but apparent sense of "she chose to get involved with him, so it's kinda her fault" going on. Why regard a victim of a random attack any differently from the victim of a domestic murderer?

I never said it was her own fault. I said the chances of someone being killed by their partner were higher than being killed by a stranger.

People get killed every day. There is nothing that makes this case special, and the veneration of the victim is just puzzling. What makes this more tragic than other murders?

So why the suggestion that a random attack deserves a longer sentence?

Oh and, no, this isn't south-central LA, this is Ireland and people don't get murdered every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I would say that women killing men is regarded as a lesser offence.

• Advertisement

Women get more lenient sentencing for everything.

I am not sure if this was directed at me?

Because I don’t think I suggested a random attack deserved a higher sentence?

I also never mentioned Ireland specifically. People kill each other for many reasons, even if this offends you. One of many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

The burglar reference is horse manure. My elderly folks house was broken into and it was turned upside down inside in that drawers were pulled out everywhere beds turned upside down, wardrobe's emptied. Obviously they were looking for money and jewellery.

Yeah, anybody who's ever watched Garda Patrol or Crimeline knows that's bollocks.

Sorry. The random attack thing was another poster. But you did say this in response to a post of mine:

Most murders are committed by a person who had a close connection to the victim. Just because he killed his spouse doesn’t mean he will kill again. It’s perfectly possible that he never offends again upon release.

It's like we should give a wife murderer a second bite. Or that she'd been unwittingly asking for it by getting involved with him - and this ignores that other women will be at risk from such a psycho upon his release.

• Advertisement

Well it’s kind of irrelevant who he killed. If he is deemed for to be let out he will be. He does not seem to pose a threat to “random strangers” but had a pretty clear motive for what he did. You can’t prevent people from making choices, and if someone subsequently decides to be with him and possibly put themselves in danger. One born every minute..

Wow. Talk about victim blaming. That is a truly sick minded post. You've showed us what you really think - what your previous posts led me to suspect - but it's even worse than I thought.

There is nothing sick about my post, I am just being more objective than some.

Dont know why you are jumping on the poster for that post. All he was doing was explaining how the system works and then you accuse him of victim blaming. I dont see that. The worst crime committed in this thread is your attempt at virtue signalling at the posters expense.

He said burglars don't go around opening all drawers and overturning tables.

an ex burglar told me they open drawers from the bottom up because if you go from the top down you have to close the top one to open the second one and so on and that slows you and increases noise.

Opening the bottom one first means you do not have to close it before opening the next one up.

All those cops love to portray themselves as knowing everything.

"He had a clear motive" is victim blaming and excusing murder. I couldn't give a f*ck what his "motive" was, he bludgeoned an innocent woman to death and it's likely he will do so again when he's released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

By “not giving a ****” about his reasons you are ignoring the context though, and it makes your hysterical prediction that he will kill again less credible.

Is it possible that he will kill again? Of course, we are all capable of it. But there is nothing to suggest that he will definitely do it again, as you are claiming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,377 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am only watching this now, I do remember the case, but I don't remember the late late part...really shocked the mum went onto the show with him given her clear suspicions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭LilacNails

She went on because O'Reilly told her the guards said they should, he made it up. They in no way wanted them to go on TV and appeal, she said she wouldn't have if she had known the evil cnut made it up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement