Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the advantages of a wood pellet boiler stove?

Options
  • 28-11-2021 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Have to replace a multi fuel stove as it is leaking. We are looking at replacing it with something similar or would we be better looking at a pellet stove instead.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

What sort of stove do you have? Does it heat whole house? What do you put in it at present? Say coal, wood is less energy dense so you would need relatively more for same heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I suppose it's worth saying that a pellet stove won't work in a power cut, probably the main disadvantage with them

Maybe it's worth looking at removing the back boiler from the stove and going with a seperate pellet boiler or something else like a heat pump

Then you've the stove for heating in a power cut and the boiler for heating the rest of the time

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Nor will the pump work in a power cut as in a backboiler.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Or any automated heating system! The pumps to circulate need electric

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I thought all backboiler stoves were required to have an open loop or always on radiator so they'd function if there's a power cut? Because the fire doesn't stop during a cut the water in the boiler will turn to steam and cause it to go bang

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It can't be a sealed system, there's a pipe on mine that goes to the attic that vents into the header tank for the radiators.

Also I have trvs on all my rads except the bathrooms for the same reason. Somewhere for the heat to go.

In a power cut, it will either vent it self into that tank, or you run the hot water(have a shower/bath) to use some hot water from the tank

Mrs seen a TikTok where someone moved into a house, they lit the fire and it blew up . I mean properly blew itself out of the wall and across the room. It wasnt connected to anything and capped off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I fitted a blow off valve in case of power/pump failure, better off dealing with water on the floor versus blown boiler (I think?)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sarahmurray

Thanks for the responses - it’s a multi fuel stove which supplements our oil fired boiler. We have noticed that pellet stove are very noisy which wouldn’t do too well in our family room.

I think that we will be going down the route of replacing like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Exactly my point.

Looking at this thread, I was in the process of making a decision to replace my again back boiler with a door fitted after Christmas.

Was weighing up either a good boiler stove ( solid fuel ) or an inset pellet boiler stove.

Not sure what to do.

Is it a case of the devil you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

we have a pellet stove to heat a room and love it. We also have a large multi fuel stove which can heat the house.

Loads of people mention about noise with the pellet stove but I don't see it. Yes you have a fan going but you can pick the speed it is turning at and in reality it's only going full speed when initially turn on to warm up. After that it is low. It auto turns on/off which no bringing in fuel, trying to light etc

Cleaning it out is so easy, I just have ash hoover and it takes maybe 30 seconds to clean out, the larger multi fuel stove hasn't been used in 12 months....now over Christmas we will fire it up and keep it going for a few days but its the cleaning out which is the problem.

We like it, its not for everyone. IN reality the large multi fuel hasn't been lit in over 8 months and that's mostly because of the cleaning up after its over

• Advertisement
Advertisement