Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will baby name Charlotte become lottie?

Options
  • 29-11-2021 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hi

Myself and my partner are thinking of baby names for baby girl due in about 2 weeks. We had settled on the name Charlotte which we both like.

I just had a thought today that lottie is perhaps short for Charlottte.

My question is if we name her Charlotte will most people call or Lottie or even Charlie?

We both like the name Charlotte but neither of us like the name Lottie, Lotty or Charlie.

Anybody any experience with this name or know anybody that named their child Charlotte?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ucsie

I only know one little Charlotte. Everyone calls her Charlie, but that's what she's introduced as by her parents. If her parents called her Charlotte instead of Charlie, I (and most people I assume) would just use Charlotte.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Exactly

OP, only you as parents will decide if she becomes Lottie or Charlie.

As long as you keep calling her and introducing her as Charlotte so will everyone else.

Best of luck, it's a great name.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I know two small Charlottes and a Charlie. All are called by those given names.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Not necessarily, My brother's name is 'Gareth' but he absolutely hated to be called that, and would only answer to Gary. My parents didn't have much say in the matter

Kids give each other nicknames in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

4 Charlottes in my friend group here, all shortened to Charley/Charlie, or at least, that's how they were introduced to me.

Tends to be the parents who choose whether or not to shorten the name, then maybe that switches over to the child when they become a teenager. Most people will just call someone by the name they are told rather than shorten or change it on the spot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement