Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden Assets - RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

• Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I knew I recognised the Belgian detective from somewhere 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

This is very good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The acting and script is starting to impact the show quite negatively. The surveillance scene where your man kept getting held up was laughable.

Not overly convinced by Angeline Bell or Peter Coonan either but the script is quite ropey so can't really blame them.

Also, the constant buttoning and unbuttoning of suits on the show is really starting to annoy me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭maebee

Fionn killed himself, or his sister killed him, or whoever his boss is, killed him. It's very good, imo.

Have to agree 100% getting a little silly in places, Angela Trying little to hard and the Belgian detective rather ludicrous in every respect, especially the curly hair and moustache.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The idea of Fionn (maybe, possibly) and then Bibi being able to wander into an aircraft hangar in Antwerp unchallenged and at will was the biggest clanger for me. Plus yer man hiding in the hedge in the rain made me laugh!

I actually thought the tail getting stuck behind the black SUV having a natter was well done! (having the guys who know, and are known by, the suspect doing tail is a whole other story, but I'm sure there are cast limits).

But if I was a taxi driver and yer man landed horizontally into my back seat from the road, panic-whispering "hang on, hang on a second", I'd be out of there!

Overall though, it's keeping me waiting for next week, it's moving at a nice pace and overall a good plot, well acted. And just shows up that tripe Kin for what it was!

Post edited by HeidiHeidi on

It really was quite a silly episode and yes the Garda in the bushes just hilarious. I was also amused at Angela, arriving to the middle of nowhere with a fresh coffee and Muffin, bad enough the scene but then to labour it 🙄

It's been generally good so far but last night's episode brought back a horrible sense of deja vu, known as KIN 😏 its heading that way sadly.

• Advertisement

Ah, it's nowhere near as bad!!!

I'm willing to overlook the odd continuity/reality clanger in favour of an entertaining, engaging story that's well acted in the main, and keeps me wondering what will come next week. Although I do agree with whoever said that the Belgian fella is turning into a bit of a caricature gradually.

I also think Peter Coonan is far and away the best of the whole lot - couldn't be more different from Fran (the only other role I've seen him in that I can remember).

Yes, your right and I apologise sincerely for daring to compare it to the awful Kin 🤣

I've just taken my meds 🙃

I think BiBi’s husband is the baddie

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

As a Limerick native I didn't realise The Strand was the only hotel we had, it's like an ad for them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I didnt realise it was Fran !

He looks very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭unichick

The Strand hotel is being used a lot! Are they a sponsor? And why couldn’t the cop just press for a ticket? I’ve been in & out of that car park many times & there’s no intercom that I know of. And certainly no polite man on the end of it. I’ve never failed to get a ticket out of it going in.

I am still enjoying it but the first episode was the best. Think it’s the brother too. 9/10 so far. Kin got a 5 at best.

Enjoyable series but poor scripting lets it down. I think the acting is fine but some of the thespians are struggling with those dead lines.

In terms of comparison to Kin it's a far inferior show. Bron and AMC don't spend money on mediocre stuff and hire the best of casts. The pedigree of Charlie Cox, Clare Dunne, Ciaran Hinds, Aiden Gillen and others is on a level far above that seen on any Irish drama for decades (most of the Love/Hate cast had been in little else beforehand and moved on to bigger things) and we'll likely see more names for future series.

Hidden Assets seems to have decent plotting and good locations but it's something that is unlikely to work well internationally in the way that Kin has. It'll also struggle to match Kin's RTE viewing figures of 600,000 a week but best of luck to it, decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

You do know this isn't a documentary ? It's a crime series 😂

In what universe is this worse in script/acting than Kin???

OK, they may have had some big names (none of which I'd ever heard of, but that's not saying much), but it was awful tripe!

• Advertisement

Tis all subjective.

I'll defer to Rotten Tomatoes giving Kin 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

Kin was so bad I'm actually ashamed that I watched it all. I couldn't even tell you the name of which brother/ cousin was which, so little was it that I cared.

I nearly struggle to believe that Hidden Assets is written by the same fella. The plot is enveloping and moves along well, no dud actors or characters so far (at a push the Garda Supt character who demands results while trying every possible way to stymie the investigation is a bit done to death, but aside from that).

I've been seeing Peter Coonan's name in the opening credits for 3 episodes wondering when he was going to appear and it only hit me on Sunday he plays Fionn! The beard, haircut, accent and he seems to have lost a lot of weight, didn't recognise him from his Fran days at all.

Kin was an enormous audience and critical hit so you're in a pretty small minority.

Hidden Assets good too. Normal People. Dublin Murders. Smother. The Dry. Conversations With Friends.

Happy that RTE is getting involved so so much significant drama, will surely help the coffers and lead to more big stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

Critical hit , yes.

The general consensus from anybody with the vaguest notion of what a gangland criminal typically looks and talks like is that it was absolute scutter. Terrible writing, baffling casting, incoherent plot.

Why did Caolan's hitman look and dress like a busker?

623,000 average viewers per week. Enormous for Ireland.

Gangland criminals come in all shapes and sizes. The idea they're all street roughnecks is a jaded, simplistic and false cliche. Anyone who's ever dealt with them will confirm that. The critics know that, hence the praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Since we entered the 21st century, Irish tv drama has upped its game, reaching its zenith with Love/Hate. While there had been some reasonable dramas before it, the expectations changed substantially after that series. On the one hand, viewers did not dismiss Irish drama out of hand and looked forward to new dramas (particularly the Sunday night ones on RTE), and, on the other hand, comparisons tended to be made between them and our expectations were much higher than before, especially for the crime dramas.

As regards Hidden Assets, I think it is very good so far. I enjoyed Kin, but this is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just after binge watching the first 3 episodes, yeah a few things are pusing the limit of credibility but overall its pretty good.

A welcome change after sitting through Kin wich was really disappointing.

The only issue that I could really pick up on was the idea that the sister could meet Fran airside in a hangar without having to go through security checks.

Looking forward to tonight's episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Really weird thing for them to mention that in the show. What was the context?

• Advertisement

Nora loves a whiteboard

Advertisement