Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is QAnon type crap the new "religion"?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you misunderstand me. i'm not saying all religions are cults. I'm saying all cults are religions. The term cult is usually employed by religious types in my experience. i don't see why an atheist would use the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You used it yourself in post 8 in this thread. Are you not an atheist?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Notwithstanding smacl's observation that 'cult' is often used in a derogatory fashion while 'religion' is not - to me, the distinction is simply numeric.

If you have 100 followers, you're a cult, whereas a million followers makes you a religion.

I think QAnon being considered a religion falls at the first hurdle in that the majority of QAnonners are Fundamentalist Christians.

If it was Jesus vs. Q, it wouldn't end well for Q.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Being fundamentalist Christian doesn't rule out it being a religion, I would say it increases the chances that it is at the very least on the way to becoming one. Christianity is a broad term which encompasses many diverging beliefs, and frequently we here in A&A have encountered one Xian saying another Xian is not a 'proper' Xian - usually when Xian A is asked to explain/defend an 'as a Christian' statement made by Xian B.

As for Jesus Vs Q - which version of Jesus? I ask as some versions are what we could call a bit 'leftist'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

I follow a few people on twitter who have taken on to debunk / expose this Psy-Op, which was designed by a small band of dangerous fascists including Gen Michael Flynn to indoctrinate more of Flynn's Digital Soldiers (though they have been encouraging them to move from online to 'local action' more recently).

The best part is that Jim Stewarton, one of the prominent anti-Q people has managed to cause a schism in this cult, by showing that Flynn lifted, almost word-for-word, a speech by a nutty leader of the 70's/80's I AM cult, to use recently for Q

I AM were linked to Theosophy, and therefore have Satanic undertones, and Jim's exposing this has caused a schism in the Q Telegram groups.

Lin Wood - nutjob attorney last seen trying (and failing spectacularly) to take cases for Trump against Joe Biden's electoral win, has disowned Flynn, and the fall out is percolating through the cult - you love to see it.

Stewartson is using their techniques against them, getting people to create memes etc, and pushing the hashtag #SatanGate on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/jennycohn1/status/1464766107798016002

There's a long but impressive article linked here, that explains quite well how we got from the original conspiracy theories (Illuminati, Protocols of the Elders of Zion) to where we are now..

https://twitter.com/Hamilt0n_Hume/status/1464493008896749581

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I do find the followers of belief system X decrying belief system Y as "satanic" rather hilarious.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

[Cue a bunch of the regulars on this board pointing out to you that agnostics are atheists.]

• Advertisement
Advertisement