Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public or private referral waiting times

Options
  • 25-11-2021 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Is there any difference for an urgent referral?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Slick666

Well it depends what department but I've type 1 diabetes and I stopped going to the consultant a few years back, I just got my bloods tested by my GP. But now I need to go back to the consultant as I have an underactive thyroid with a long time and I'm fed up of it, so I need the expertise of a consultant. I used to go to the Mater Public and when I rang them waiting was between 6 months to a year!! I rang private and they couldn't give me a timeframe until I sent over all my files from public! I was diagnosed in Waterford and was seeing a consultant there private so I called him and he could see me within the week, I'm seeing him Monday coming. So yes Waterford private is a very short time waiting but that's with the Endocrinologist. Depends who you are seeing and what the issue is, but USUALLY private is quicker than public.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

Glad you're getting seen quick Slick666 and all the best. I got a call from the clinic this morning just checking details. I asked the question if I'd get seen quicker privately. She didn't know as they're a pubic only clinic. The GP asked for an urgent referral that pre covid would be within the fortnight but now looks like 6 weeks, but who knows. Guess I'd have to go back to my GP and ask him for a private referral, let the two run and see which ones comes in first.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

Lol.....they're not a pubic only clinic.....I meant public 😊

Advertisement