Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mammy dropping kids to school in the car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,017 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My primary school was according to google maps 4.2 kilometers away... a route in busy traffic including a kilometer approximately of dual carriageway so 90% of the time I got a lift to school as my dads work was 5 minutes around the corner...otherwise I got the bus home and sometimes there too if he was away with work as the mother didn’t drive yet....

my secondary was about 2.5 kilometers away, 70 % of the route had a segregated bike lane, otherwise it was quiet enough roads, so little to no danger. I cycled...

the OP and whoever else might like to factor in that in this country the weather at 8.15 am from November - April will be a couple of degrees away from freezing at times worse and generally wet and rainy quite often... so if you can as a parent cut your kid(s) a break by giving them a lift, brilliant....

Industry is only a couple of percentage points behind travel as in contributions to climate change....yet as always ‘business’ gets a hall pass where some are concerned...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Honestly the sh1te talk in this thread.

Did it yesterday and I honestly dont see the issue. No probelms with traffic. No problems with parking. No problems with women driving SUVs. The kids wont get fat because i gave them a lift to school. They are out playing football all evening and presumably running around at lunch time in school (before thats banned too). I dont think a 5 minute drive is going to make them fat. They didnt even get fat when i drove them for 15 minutes to McDonalds last week.

Well im going to give the kids a lift to school today too.

It just suits us on certain days.

I mentioned this thread to a couple of friends. One lives in Offaly and said very few kids walk or cycle to school around their village or the villages around them since 3 or 4 years ago when an 11 year old was killed cycling to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭neenam

Wonder how it compares to when it comes to pick up time after school. One primary school I pass regularly faces onto a road that has a bus lane and one lane of traffic. There are always cars parked up along the bus lane even though there are double yellow lines. Whenever I'm cycling through there at this time, I've had to go into the next lane to avoid the chance of getting doored by someone coming out of a car.

• honestly mate if you read my post and then follow up with stupid questions, I'm not going to engage you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,754 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Census data tells a different story.

It tells you that loads and loads of people use their cars for short journeys of distances that are easily walked or cycled. For many people, the car is the lazy, comfy choice with no consideration of the broader impact on society - kids being bullied off the road - toxic pollution - traffic chaos.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

ffs … glad I don’t live in Meath! 😂😂

Local councils are funding upgrades of bike facilities for schools - proper stands (not the wheel twisting toaster racks)to allow proper locking - overhead cover and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

In fairness you're not above posting ridiculous anecdotes yourself.

Not everyone lives in Offaly and cycles to school on a road with a 100kph limit. I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of posting such examples like the one of 25km motorway trips to school in the middle of nowhere.

What you're basically saying is, you don't really care about anyone else once it suits you. Talking about unnecessary car journeys is really a conversation about society and improving it, not what suits the individual. We all have days where we need a car.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

I collected them yesterday too. No problem at all. When its not covid times i always cycled that route myself and never had a problem at all.

Nothing to do with schools, but sometimes if I think a road looks bad i'll just cycle a different way and avoid it. If a 6 year old can cycle to school, I can cycle around an obstruction :)

If kids cycling to school can get along the road to the school id expect an adult to be able to do it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

i dont see kids playing football all evening. its dark around 5pm now. alot of schools dont allow kids run around at break time as they could have a fall and thus a compo claim. a brisk walk or cycle to school for a kid in the morning is great for helping hit the WHO guidance of 1 hour of moderate-vigorous exercise a day.

i think it means their blood is flowing better and they are more alert. i used to cycle to college and then i was given a car in my granny's will. it was terrible. i was no longer getting exercise, i looked terrible and was tired in classes. a bit of fresh air, sunlight and exercise was better than stuck in a metal box for 30min on way to and from college. and the car traffic was stressful.

im not trying to argue with people who drive their kids to school. im just trying to show the benefits or walking or cycling to school.

i wonder if there is a shame to it. if someone sees me walking my kids to school, does it imply im too poor to have a car. Or abusing my kids by having them out in the elements.

I have no words for why you'd choose such examples when you are obviously in Dublin.

Its completely disingenuous as is the faux outrage.

The irony being you are dismissing valid safety concerns in every other post.

Agree to the benefits to walking or cycling to school. In fairness to them though - the parents driving their kids to school are not automatically failing to get those benefits. They may be getting them in other ways. And there are plenty of other ways.

So it really comes down to individual cases/families as to where they are seeking and attaining those benefits. Unfortunately I have seen all too closely what happens in the families where they don't. The results are really not good.

Like you I have seen anecdotally a drop in kids playing football "all evening" or even at all. I see kids sitting in groups individually on phones. Together but alone.

Do they want to be like that all the time? I don't know. I do know if my kids friends come to my home they are asked to leave the phones at the door in a box. And I do make sure there is always fun things and interesting things to do here. They are not asked to do this in anyone else's house. Yet somehow it's our house my kids friends keep wanting to come to - not each others. So I dunno what kids really want - but I am not convinced it is what they are getting most easily.

My kids mostly walk to school but I keep them active - physically and mentally - as much as I can in as many diverse ways as I can. I can't value judge any other parents for the most part (except a couple of extreme cases I mentioned on this forum before) - in this strangely changing world of Instagram and Tik Tok and social media. All I can do is make decisions for how I want to engage with my children and have my children engage with the world they are in and what they take out of it.

I do get some flak for it - the tolerance and lack of value judgements not going both ways it seems - parents who rely almost entirely on digital babysitters getting freaked out that my kids walk to school, have education in martial arts or fire arms, never did "Santa" at Christmas as if I am engaged in some kind of child abuse, or get to personally meet some of their food before it's killed and cooker :)

But since they can seemingly not tell me how I am misparenting - they stop at merely expressing the position that I am - they do not give me much material to use to re-evaluate my choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think the people in Ireland who choose to live in the middle of nowhere miles from schools etc are a lost cause and will drive everywhere no matter what. Leave them to it.

What annoys me is that I live in an area with plenty of schools, and it turns into absolute chaos in the mornings and when they finish school. People from my road drive to the schools that are probably only about 1km away. Then they all park and drive all over the footpaths beside the schools, so much so that they had to put up a load of barriers on the footpaths to stop them doing so recently (in the form of pencils they look pretty cool).

There are many who could easily walk or cycle with their kids to/from school, and it would benefit the kids greatly and set a good precedent for them. But people are just f*cking lazy.

Well its not really an issue if you live in the sticks, there won't be a problem with parking, or cycling. No one will cycle and there's a ton of room for parking. Its a problem that solves itself. Its mainly an urban problems I'd suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ferpederine

Wholeheartedly agree with this.

I live in Switzerland and the kids from 5 years of age all walk to school. They are automatically enrolled into the school nearest them, and the Mammy Taxis are verboten. Works pretty well. Gives the kids great independence and routine.

Its a bit like choosing to live in an inconvenient place then complaining its inconvenient.

..and yes we know housing, work etc. You might not have a lot of actual choice. Its not about nitpicking on the individual, but looking at the choices our society is making. Planning, Infrastructure etc. Centralizing everything etc.

It was @notAMember that gave that example of the 25km journey on the motorway, and I don't think they live in Dublin.

I think they posted it to highlight the fact that distance is a factor. Not everyone lives within walking / cycling distance of a school, and even if they do, they might not be suitable roads for children to cycle on (e.g. motorways). Admissions policies and the availability of school places all factor into this - other parents have also posted similarly about having to drive past much closer schools to get their children to the schools where they could get places.

We could debate all day about what that distance is!

@Thelonious Monk ... There are many who could easily walk or cycle with their kids to/from school, and it would benefit the kids greatly and set a good precedent for them. But people are just f*cking lazy.

Here we go again, with more of the lazy parent rubbish.

How do you know what many others could "easily" do? Have you asked them?

Have you checked that they are all returning straight home after driving their children to school or are they commuting onwards to jobs?

Have you asked them if they actually have time to walk kids to school, walk home again, collect their cars (or use public transport) to commute onwards to work?

Do you know what their commutes to work are? How far they have to go, and are they under time constraints?

I guarantee you actually know nothing.

What's lazy is assuming you know anything about other people's situations, and why they make the decisions they make.

More anti-car, fanatical cyclist bullshit from the usual suspects, creeping in. I guess it was inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You should try walking or cycling some of that frustration off

You should try looking at things from another perspective, sometimes.

Do you even have kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭notAMember

Thanks for having more patience than me Loueze. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

"ALL DAY" now is it? What student carries around a heavy bag all day? You bring it to school, drop it beside your desk for the entirety of the day and then bring it home. I don't know how many subjects are studied today but back when I was doing the Junior / Inter Cert we had 8 subjects (10 if you include RE and Civics) but generally 8, Irish, English, Maths, History, Geography, French, Commerce, Science and Mechanical Drawing and the day was broken up into 8 classes, 5 before lunch and 3 after. I came home for lunch so could split the load but many lads didn't and had to bring the full day's subject load with them. Irish was a few books and copies, like a grammar book, a verb book, essay copy, poetry book, English was poetry, short stories and a play and a novel and homework copies, maths 1 book (each year), copies and maybe log tables. History 1 book and copies, geography..the same, French a work book that had stories, vocabulary and exercise and a verb book, plus copies, Science, 1 book, and squared exercise book and a lined copy, Commerce an accounting book, a business org book and journal/ledger/cash book. Now one didn't have to lug this full complement of books for each and every subject everyday because you might be concentrating on the play in English for a few weeks so could leave the poetry book at home, likewise for commerce and Irish.

Most days had a double period of one subject so this cut down on the load. The schoolbag was definitely heavy but it wasn't so heavy that it was impossible to carry as some are stating.

:)

You just made me think of the time myself and another guy in my class were made to stand at the back of the room facing the wall all day with our schoolbags on our backs for letting a few crisps fall on the floor.

Toughened us up though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭boardlady

You are wrong. The bag is carried around from class to class in secondary. Due to covid, the lockers are not in use (crazy I know) so no books can be left anywhere at any point in the day. they are equally not allowed leave them in school as the classrooms are fogged each evening - again covid. Secondary have hard copies and soft copies as well as textbooks and, in our school, everything is required to be brought in each day. I had to search to buy a bag big enough. My son lifts and drops that bag about 10 times a day. He did try cycling with it on his back but it was too awkward. Yes, the bags are unreasonable. No, they cannot be changed at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There is a large element of chicken and egg - parents worried about safety because of car volumes, then driving their children to school adding to the volumes.

In rural villages, there is an infrastructure problem of a lack of footpaths, even within walking distance of villages. Yes, people built in or brought in ribbon development and this is a consequence, but that would certainly remove a barrier to active travel (for both children and generally). There is very little focus on footpath provision - it's all greenways (which are predominantly recreational).

I dropped the hint a couple of times and it wasn't picked up. It's obvious some have no "current" experience of kids and/or cycling. No mention of freezing classrooms either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

• Advertisement

I think you are right.

I would prefer if they invested in footpaths first, then cyclepaths at the sides of all roads.

But the issue is definitely overstated. I find its the same people who dont believe hi-viz vests or anything really reflective helps you stay alive on the roads, whether out cycling or walking who seem to have a problem with parents dropping their kids to school. Its usually people who have an inability to look at a situation from another persons eyes. Its usually just something to moan about for them to be fair. They will come up with all sorts of reasons why parents should make their kids walk, cycle to school etc. But they dont even have the cop on to just avoid the route that passes the schools and they will have no problem at all. Ive never had an issue, cycling or driving past schools on the way to or from work myself. Maybe it might take me 1 minute more in the mornings if im driving but thats it.

Advertisement