Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mammy dropping kids to school in the car

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

SO......are temperatures in Irish classrooms subzero?

If I was a teacher I'd go to Argos and buy an electric heater and plug the fcuker in at full blast.

If the headmaster came around in his cowl and fingerless gloves demanding that I cease and desist from the horrors of teaching in a warm environment I would send his ass to the union and await clarification until I had finished my lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Hardly seems any point posting any more links from official sources explaining these things for you. Since you either don't read them or just ignore them.

If you think French Legionnaires march 7 hours non stop around school yards it's likely nothing anyone says will persuade you otherwise, about anything.

And yet you think that someone who is over 40 had to do a coal run before school. You quote official sources about the sunset (which I never disputed) and you claim this is proof that it is dark at 16:00 in December. Your next little stupid trick was that "OH, well kids do crap after 16:00"

I never claimed that French Legionaires marched around for 7 hours a day.....though they do do some fairly intensive stuff on parade. You, on the contrary, claimed that your kid carries a heavy bag around all day. You also claimed that the bag was too heavy and then that it was too awkward rather than too heavy,

So please don't accuse me of dismissing ANYTHING. You could post some link to an article stating that the classroom is full of rats and upon further inspection your "official" source is peppered with holes. What are your official sources? An irrelevant article about the French work week? What the hell does that have to do with anything? I'm ragging on the French now..according to you?

Get your head out.

So now you saying they are unable to march for 7 hours, that its dark at 4pm and no kids do anything after school.

Coal you were lucky to have coal..

"...and if you tell that to the young people today, they won't believe you..."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Simple solution. Change your hours, route, mode of transport, if a few people dropping off kids at a school in a 15 minutes bothers you so much.

There is no need to be having kids walk or cycle miles to school these days, just as there is no need to have them work down the mines or in the fields before school.

This thread is nothing but a chance for the OP and some others to have a moan at SUVs and women. Grow up people. Do what you are expecting the children to do. Adapt.

• Advertisement

I thought the simple solution was just suit ourselves and drive the SUV to and from the school, 2-4 times a day since all kids might not be in the same school, or finish at the same time. Seems to work ok for most people. (60%)

There about 5 large schools in my immediate area. in broad strokes that's up to about about 3,000 cars. Mostly doesn't effect me, these days I rarely drive at peak times. Though the air quality obviously suffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's hardly a few people, and the schools are the same distance they were when most of use were attending. All of the schools near me would be well under a mile from most of the pupils.

People complaining about the poor darlings not being able to or not having to walk to school, and then being tormented by the school itself by it trying to freeze them to their death, will likely be complaining again in about twenty years when the same darlings will be seeing the effects of them all being dropped to and from school and the taxes will have introduced and trebled to fix the issues.

I honestly don't get what the big pushback is attempting to achieve. No harm at all in letting them walk or cycle to school. They even have electric scooters and bikes now to do either in half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Comparing kids walking & cycling to school with child labour in mines and fields is silly.

Stupid post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

So is asking a child to walk or cycle miles to school just so you can cycle past their school with no cars on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No. Illegal child labour v walking or cycling, there's a big difference. Stupid post.

• Advertisement

It really only effects those driving, and the immediate environment around the school. In terms of safety and air quality. Basically the kids.

If you are cycling, if you are a cycling commuter. Traffic is irrelevant. In fact the more traffic its actually easer to cycle in. Forms a natural cycle lane and is far more predictable than free flowing traffic. Not that being away from all traffic isn't preferable. Traffic being erratic and unpredictable much of the time regardless.

So while the OP might have been disingenuous in his reasons for starting the topic. The topic it self has merit.

Advertisement