Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World Rugby agrees to new regs allowing players to switch national team

• 24-11-2021 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭

This seems like an enormous deal so thought it was thread-worthy. Players who haven't played international rugby in the past 3 years and have birthright connection to another nation will be able to switch once to that nation. So for example Charles Piutau will be available for Tonga if he wishes. Main beneficiaries will (hopefully) be PI nations, and given how badly they get treated in general I think it's very positive/welcome.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1463508241447538691?s=20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Piutau could be lining up against Ireland at the WC.

It also means that Jordi Murphy, 30 times capped Ireland international, could play for Spain if he wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Full deets;

World Rugby approves birth right amendment for players to transfer unions | World Rugby

Wow, they kept this very quiet.

Hopefully it is the PIs who benefit from this

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think this is a good step, I'd had have a cap on the number of games a player could have played for the country that they earned their initial international cap with with before deciding to move to their "home" country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Who could this affect? Haley, Addison and Arnold could play for England again. Could Marmion play for England?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

From a user on Reddit:

"Steven Luatua, Charlie Faumuina, Lima Sopoaga, Francis Saili, Ben Lam, Jeff To'omaga Allen, Victor Vito, Lolagi Visinia would become eligible immediately for Samoa. Josh Ioane would become eligible next year."

That's absolutely insane if they can get that calibre of player.

• Advertisement

John Cooney would be eligible to represent Scotland in 2023.

I wonder will there still be as much uproar when he still doesn't get picked....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Should call it the Nacewa Law

Initially I thought "what could have been"

Until I remembered it would resulted in All Blacks caps and he never would have graced Leinster (twice)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They won't

This is a good move, but players playing in Europe simply won't make themselves available.

• Advertisement

The odd one might, but they are paid well by the European clubs on the basis that they are available during international windows. I would be thrilled to be wrong - but you already have massive pressure on active Pacific Island players to not accept call ups. The pressure on these players will be enormous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Surely this really only matters for World Cups though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

McGinty back to a province in time for the WC?🤭

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

He played against Canada on September the 11th this year, according to ESPN, so the earliest he could re-qualify is 2024, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If a player hasn't played international for three years, theres probably a good reason.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But if he hasn't played a Tier 1 international game for 3 years, he might still be plenty good enough for a Tier 2 team, which is presumably the spirit of the change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Seems strange that they changed residency to 5 years but this rule is only 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

In fairness these are actually from or descendants of a country. Should be shorter than a project player

There doesn't seem to be any particular reason the numbers should be related at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Yes! Now my path to representing Switzerland is clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

In the same year that WR abolishes a law that allows someone to change nationality in 3 years...

they create a new law that allows someone to change nationality in 3 years.

This will be good for the Pacific nations in the short term and might make them more competitive at the WC,

but it won't solve the issue of them being massively reliant on NZ and Australia to develop their players and having the best 16/17 year olds poached. e.g. Sevu Reece, Tupou, Koroibeiti, Naholo

All it does is allow them to regain the players who weren't good enough to become regulars for NZ/Aus.

The real work that needs to be done is in the academies and player pathways. The 2 new teams in Super Rugby is hopefully the start of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Also will allow the likes of Piutau, Naholo and Fekitoa play in a World Cup, players like them that will leave NZ and Aus as soon as they get a big offer in Europe.

they were plenty good enough but they only played with NZ to make a name for themselves and then make more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭phog

You seem to be trying to compare apples and oranges there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

I don't think this is a bad move. All it does is reward mercenary players, not players who genuinely want to play for their country.

Next stop is to allow actual transfers !

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its an excellent move.

in reality it will make the touring test games more attractive to the hosting teams, thus a higher ticket price, thus more money for the touring team, thus better resources for the "tier 2" team... thats the theory anyway.

imagine a Tongan team touring with Piutau, Folau, Moala, Fifita, Fekitoa and the 2 vunipolas ??

In competitions it would make them more competitive as well, raising their profile.

i cant see any downside to it other than it should have been allowed years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Can anyone think of any players who will become IQ now? George McGuigan? I wonder if Sean McMahon has any Irish family? Perhaps Gregory Aldritt fancies sitting out of international rugby for three years?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

piers o connor, calum sheedy, john quill, jack willis, paul mullen, kieran brooks, dylan fawsitt, luke carty, dan kelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

Piers O'Connor is already eligible as he hasn't been capped by England. He's a good player but we don't really need him. He'd never be in contention for a starting jersey and he'd only block a young player at a province.

Dan Kelly is a really interesting one. England have a sh*it load of players in every position, so there's every chance he becomes an exceptional player but Eddie doesn't fancy him. He's only 20, so he could easily be an option in 3 years. He had Cam Redpath in the squad back in 2018 but he got injured and wasn't capped. He ended up declaring for Scotland this year.

Jack Willis looked set to be an England regular but he picked up a bad long term injury earlier this year. You never know if he'll get back in or not. I suspect he will, but if he's doesn't he could qualify for us in time.

Let's face it, Mullen, Carty, Brookes and Fawsitt won't ever be good enough

Advertisement