Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning another extension on top of existing extension?

Options
  • 09-05-2018 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

We live at the end of a terraced house that we bought about eleven years ago. Last night the next door neighbours knocked on our door and are asking to put up a new extension. There is already a flat roofed extension that was put on to our house and theirs about thirteen years ago. However they want to build on top of the flat roof that’s there so it will really block out a lot of light into our back kitchen and bedrooms. I’m wondering if they have already met or exceeded the 40m that I have been reading about on building extensions will they be likely to get planning permission anyway? I guess my question is can you build an extension on top of an already built extension? Any advice/assistance very much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

murphmm wrote: »
    Hi,

We live at the end of a terraced house that we bought about eleven years ago. Last night the next door neighbours knocked on our door and are asking to put up a new extension. There is already a flat roofed extension that was put on to our house and theirs about thirteen years ago. However they want to build on top of the flat roof that’s there so it will really block out a lot of light into our back kitchen and bedrooms. I’m wondering if they have already met or exceeded the 40m that I have been reading about on building extensions will they be likely to get planning permission anyway? I guess my question is can you build an extension on top of an already built extension? Any advice/assistance very much appreciated.

Sounds like it’s at first floor level so the exempted limits of 40 Sq. M are irrelevant. They will need to apply for planning permission anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

As said, given its a terrace house, they will almost certainly need planning permission. (once you go over ground floor you would need alot of surrounding space to stay exempt)

You are entitled to object, of course. But plenty of these type of developments get approved.
    Might be best to work with them to get the best deal out of it (you may be able to convince them to not go as high, use some type of dormer on the top storey etc..).

Before you may make your next move (work with it OR object), it might be worth talking to a local architect or planner to see whether its worth your while making the objections you intend to make..

On 2 storey extension in terrace houses, the planners are very much guided by neighbors objecting. For example, I have a particular street here in Dublin that 2 storey 4m deep extensions were granted at first floor level on at least 3 occasions. Yet on my friends one, it was conditioned out purely because my friends neighbor objected and the others got no objections.

You could ask your neighbors architect to Boise by the BRE 45 degree rule for light as this is what the planners eventually allowed on the above example so if it can be demonstrated from the start that it passes this test then it may get planning first time round.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kceire wrote: »
    Sounds like it’s at first floor level so the exempted limits of 40 Sq. M are irrelevant. They will need to apply for planning permission anyway.

12m2 exempt assuming 2m from boundary etc

BryanF wrote: »
    12m2 exempt assuming 2m from boundary etc

Aware of that Bryan but considering the OP’s location and the fact that they are terraced I assumed this condition could not be met.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Costi12

Can my neighbour build a lean to 3.5m in length onto her extension?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Advertisement