Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Irish Gigs (Confirmed & Rumoured Events)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭skaface

Ye, I've standing myself, and as u said, they're still selling tickets, although it's saying low availability on Ticketmaster, so the gig must nearly be sold out.. If it goes ahead, I'd imagine it will be probably be everyone seated, but everyone will be standing.. If that makes any sense.. Like in the picture below.. Here's hoping it goes ahead 😎👍

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They can probably get their 1,500 standing in the flat area of that configuration (which, from a quick tot-up, only seems to accommodate 500 or so seated)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Just wondering what peoples experience of standing at gigs is like? I am planning to go to Vicar street shortly, and its a standing ticket - and assuming close to sell out? The way numbers are going, am having definite second thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

With everyone either vaccinated or recovered, what's the issue?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭flasher0030

If everyone is either vaccinated or recovered, why are there approx. 2000 new cases on a daily basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Oh dear. The vaccine doesn't prevent you from catching it! I thought everyone knew that at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The point of the question is can I expect a full capacity, crowded Vicar Street if its standing tickets.

Or is there any attempt at distancing or whatever.

We can all work out our own views of where we stand with regard to likely risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭fafy

there is a standing max allowed at indoor gigs of 1,500, (this excludes any seating tickets)Vicar Street should be less than that.

My understanding is all indoor venues are operating at max capacity, so yes it will be crowded like all standing gigs are. There is no requirement for social distancing at indoor standing gigs(since October 22nd), however covid certs are checked on entry. Its as good a control as is feasibly possible, and enables venues to continue with what they do, rather than close down.

Socially distanced indoor standing gigs are completely unviable.

People who are uncomfortable with this setup, which has been very very well flagged, that the situation has changed since October 22nd, should not buy tickets.

I also note, that a few standing indoor gig tickets i bought a few months back, i got emails alerting to the covid cert requirement on entry, and if i was not vacinated, i could get a refund, so this also allows those uncomfortable with these non socially distanced setups, to get a refund.

I am fine with these setups, but i understand some may not be, in which case, don’t buy tickets for standing gigs.

This is going to be the way things are for several months, possibly even longer, so with that in mind, we all have the information we need to go to indoor standing gigs or not. I am vacinated, and i know their is a risk, but theres also risk going into a shop, etc, personally i am fine with that level of risk, but each to their own.

Post edited by fafy on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I can't speak for OP on that but even if vaccine/recovery certs being strictly enforced including ID check there is a risk of someone who is either asymptomatic or with mild symptoms going and spreading. Can of course argue risk is minimal but with cases so high people's individual perception of risk will vary and depend on whether for eg they have immunocompromised children or relatives, care for relatives or work in envoriment where might interact with vulnerable people etc. As other poster has said ironically can opt out by saying you don't meet requirements so could be a loophole for anyone who didn't feel comfortable attending a gig at the moment to get a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭flasher0030

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭fafy

There Is somewhat of a risk with everything in life, and there is certainly a Covid catching risk, of going to indoor standing gigs, or indeed meeting/mixing with other people in any situation, and appreciate, its possible, that risk may get bigger as cases grow.

But on the other side, covid certs being checked rigorously at entry to standing gigs, will reduce that, but there is nothing, that will eliminate the risk entirely, at a standing gig, just like its impossible to totally eliminate the covid risk of doing some shopping, even with a mask on, it can in theory, get on your hands, clothes, uncovered parts of your face, it could get on your mask, which you later touch, albeit shopping should be less of a risk in theory at least, there is still risk.

You could also get it in a pub/restaurant/cafe indoors, who are also checking certs. You could get if from meeting up with friends or family etc.

So we are all adults, we can assess the situation and make a call. If that call is - “i’m uncomfortable”, then don’t go.

Nothing we do with this virus, is 100 %risk free, except maybe staying indoors, in a room, on our own, 24 hours a day, and never going outside, or ever meeting anyone.But most of us cannot live like that, i know, i certainly can’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭Stillill42

If we could leave the covid discussions out of the gig threads for a bit, that would be lovely. Everyone knows the deal at this stage. Some are happy to go with the protection offered by the vaccine certs, some are not. I personally am prepared to take the risk and am bursting to be standing in a packed Whelan's in front of Sports Team later this month. I completely understand others being unprepared to risk it in the current circumstances. We're grown ups. We've waited a long time and most of us have been very careful. These are the risks we should now be trusted to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I'm happy to be going to gig tonight after buying tickets back in wave2 jan2021 the wait is finally over!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I went to my first gig last night. Lightning seeds. A former colleague had a spare ticket, and I hadn't seen him since 2020 Supergrass gig as I left place to start a new job.

It was great. They have a lot of great pop songs that I forgot about, some nice weird trippy 90s typical pscyhe moments thrown in, and they looked like they were enjoying it.

Abi Harding of the Zutons had been with them on keys, but now gone as the Zutons have reformed, but the new keyboard player, if you'll allow me to get all after hours😍😯

Anyway, poor fecker in front of me in the queue forgot his ID and couldn't get in. Had his cert I think. Bouncer had his hands tied. He looked devastated

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

from my experiece of a few gigs at diff venues so far, once you are in its a free for all. No real measures taken inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was in the 3Arena last week and you had to bring your drinks/food back to your seat. Overheard the stewards having a difficult enough time trying to do it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Going to Opium in December to see Chris Jerichos Fozzy, first time there and not expecting much both on stage and the venue itself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Worst venue in the country uness youre close up Once youre behind the ceiling you cant really hear anything apart from the people at the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Da Neck

My band, Gurriers, are opening for the Altered Hours next Friday in the grand social. Get down early folks, promise it'll be lively x

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Got my tickets thankfully, can’t wait to go now!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Enjoy

I'd love to have gone as it for great charities but nervous to travel to Dublin with cases high, I know I'm too nervous as it everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

First gig last night in nearly 2 years (Sleaford Mods - Olympia)

Class gig and felt the management managed it well in terms of certs etc and Q's for pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Same. Supergrass Feb 2020 my last Irish gig.

Loved last night. Perfect energy for the first gig back. Got out of hand a couple of times down the front. People jumping about from age 16 to 60 odd. A lot of old punks at the gig I noticed. Cant actually think of a more eclectic audience at any gig Ive been at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Still processing For Those I Love in the Olympia last week. The most emotional and communal gig I've been to. One of those that will be talked about for a long time.

Advertisement