Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Double beds i assume...

Options
  • 19-11-2021 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭

I am refurbish a place at the moment that is really dated odd old layout. I am assuming most tenants want a double bed.

I can add double beds but you won't be able to walk around the bed in one room if a double but would on a single. To add to the confusion I have a double Murphy bed. So while you couldn't walk around the bed you could put it up.

What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

No idea. Is it a house or apartment?

Will you let to singles or a family with young kids?

If the room is that small maybe a single bed would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Single beds are for children or students (or other young people on a tight budget). Doubles (Queen/King/Super King) are for adults, but are useless if there's no floor space as a result.

Murphy beds or Wall beds are for the down-and-out divorced dads who are one step above living on the street and should always come with a corresponding crying chair.

If the room can only take a single, then it can only take a single and you rent it as a single.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

People seem to misunderstand. I am talking about a full 1m walk around the beds on 3 sides. Not 100% but bedroom will be 3m by 4.5m at least. Only planning on 2 tenants. Assuming both individual tenants prefer a double. Murphy beds are perfectly acceptable as a space saver. It is only to allow additional space if say somebody is working from home. Personally I like smart use of space. Was going to add a coffee table that raises to a dining room table for the kitchen living room. Washing machine and dryer else where. Adding storage for bikes.

Sorry 2 adults is what I am aiming for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Knowing that a King Size is 2x1.5m I would say there is enough space in the rooms size you mention. Not sure if a single person needs to have space on both sides so that would potentially leave 1.5m on one side. Best would be to ask the tenant what they want if that is at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Our old GP had a Murphy Bed (saw the surgery/apartment on DAFT. And she's not a down-and-out divorced dad. The ad says the bed is from Harrods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

You dont need to be able to walk around a bed. One side against the wall is fine.

Definitely put a double bed in if you can. Or a 4ft bed at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Let it unfurnished. The tenants can get what they want to suit their circumstances.

Won't be doing that because it is very difficult to get furniture into the place and they would damage the place moving stuff in and out. Already have furniture. Let one place unfurnished and the people made the place a fire hazard by having the wrong sized sofa partially blocking the door into the living room. When they left the then tried to sell me the furniture and eventually just left it behind for me to dispose of. Will never do it again. I am also not just sticking random furniture in and decorating the place to be high quality.

• Advertisement

Why don't you view it without beds and ask tenants what they would prefer when you have chosen them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

This, a 4' small double rather than a standard 4'6".

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hontou

4 ft bed pushed against the wall - as others have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Go with a queen size bed with a semi orthopedic mattress, big enough for one, big enough if you pull but not big enough for two long term if you don't want extra occupants. Alternatively you let them pick the bed from on online site.

Oh and get a mattress protector for each bed that way you can throw it out when the tenants leave and get a new one for the next tenant.

because I am deciding where the wall will be and want to appeal to the majority of the market not a one time tenant. I will show the place when it is finished

Well that's what my work colleague did, his last tenants stayed for 7 years, he is now showing again and will let them choose what beds they require.

I don't think choosing beds will in any way hamper you from renting the place, there are literally hundreds of people applying for every rental property.

well I am not doing that I was asking what people generally prefer. I will be adding an extension later on so won't be renting for that long

Fair enough, I would generally prefer to be asked!

How many places have you rented? How many times did the landlord ask you what type of bed you wanted? Prefer all you like but be realistic tenants don't really have much say when a place is about to be rented and there is also a time factor in getting beds bought and delivered. Deciding where electric outlets, heaters and walls go is determined by bed size so it is not an option to ask. I asked the question I wanted nothing more. Generally I think nobody wants a single bed as an adult and I want to aim it for 2 adults with no kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think if the room is very small, most people would prefer a single bed. Obviously everyone would prefer a double bed when given the choice, but that means having a room that's big enough to comfortably fit the double. In any house I've been in where all bedrooms were rented out, it's always been a single bed in the small bedroom.

FWIW I'm getting a Murphy bed put into my spare room so I can comfortably accommodate parents and other guests when they visit and use the room as an office for working from home the rest of the time. No down and out divorced dads will be sleeping in it 🙂

Go with bunk-beds, it resolves any questions around space and affords the couple the opportunity to have endless amusing discussions about who gets to be on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

You say the room will be 3.5m x 4m?

You will easily put a normal double bed in that size room. Most houses being built these days proclaim smaller rooms to be double rooms. Dont know why you would want bigger sized bed than that for renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Missed that bit. Yeah 3.5m x 4m is easily big enough to fit a double bed. I've seen loads of houses with 3m x 3m as the "master bedroom" when searching for houses last year.

Advertisement