Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2013 BMW 520i 2.0 Petrol real world mpg

Options
  • 19-11-2021 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Came across a 2013 BMW 520i 2.0 petrol. Really nice looking car but well overpriced. I don't have need for a diesel anymore but i do need a decent towcar cabaple of towing a braked trailer of 1500kg & this would fit the bill. Anyone have one & have real world MPG for urban & motorway driving. not worried about the towing MPG as this is occasional. I'm guessing it has a timing chain rather than a belt & probably doesn't suffer from the N47 timing chain issue. Anyone have one?

T.

T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I've had e39 and e60 petrol, never had f10 but I'd imagine you'll be sub 30 even without putting trailer on it.

My e39s and e60 were sub 25mpg on my driving cycle but were older 6 cylinders

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

No direct experience of the N20, but I do know those engines can give timing chain trouble as well, but unlike the N47, the chain is at the front of the engine so it will be much cheaper to fix than the N47.

My six cylinder e46 usually does about 30-32 mpg on the motorway, 34-35 on main roads sticking to 100, and low 20s around town. I'd say given the added weight of a 5 series, you'd get about the same in a 520i, maybe a bit better on the motorway and around town thanks to the 8 speed ZF and auto start/stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Biggest problem with the 520i is the 520D. It's the go to engine so no-one wants a petrol, which is a pity as it is refined unit that suits the car. If it suits your needs OP (and you don't mind being wedded to it) then don't be put off.

As to problems the usual F10/F11 weak points, well catalogued.

Try asking here:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I would have thought as well that the 520D would be the popular choice but this gang have the 520i priced well above the 520D. I suppose it is rare but doubt that justifies the inflated price.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I don't know about the F10, but in the F30 (3 series) the N47 is an awful tractor of a yoke. For a brand that is famous for how well its cars drive, it's hard to believe they could make such a bags of it - even by the standards of four cylinder diesels this is a poor effort. The auto start/stop is truly appalling, it's the first thing I turn off when I get into one because the car shakes all over the place as the system is engaged. But even aside from that, it's so noisy and unrefined, just zero enjoyment to be had from driving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Thought that BMW was overpriced. Now has 2K knocked off the earlier asking price

T.

Advertisement