Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drone Recommendation

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

wow, thats valuable input... thanks for that :)

Well tbf, the OP comes in looking for a beginner drone that won't be a waste of money. And you have them spending a grand.

Chillax on the recommendations.

They could get into one of the Evo drones for little money and alot of content.

They could get into the DJI world for 4-600 with a killer drone with a huge amount of features.

Context of the question asked would be balanced input you must agree.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

So anyway I picked up Zino Pro on adverts. It was selling as not working - the camera gimbal wasn't moving.
    Anyway I managed to find the problem - a broken gimbal cable - apparently its an issue with these.

I put a tiny bit of electrical conductive paint on it - the one you use for repairing rear windscreen heaters and its working 100% now.
    Have a cable ordered from china for 5.00 euros.

I got it for 160 euros - I think I got a good deal on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

Hellrazer wrote: »
    So anyway I picked up Zino Pro on adverts. It was selling as not working - the camera gimbal wasn't moving.
    Anyway I managed to find the problem - a broken gimbal cable - apparently its an issue with these.

I put a tiny bit of electrical conductive paint on it - the one you use for repairing rear windscreen heaters and its working 100% now.
    Have a cable ordered from china for 5.00 euros.

I got it for 160 euros - I think I got a good deal on it.

great stuff mate, is that fly more kinda set or just one battery? btw, I like Hubsans remote form factor more than dji :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

great stuff mate, is that fly more kinda set or just one battery? btw, I like Hubsans remote form factor more than dji :)

It came with 2 batteries, remote etc. Now I just need to find somewhere to fly it!!

So anyway I registered with the IAA got my ID an have put it on the drone.

So where is ok to fly?

Im based in Maynooth and there are a lot of green areas around within my 5k - GAA clubs,football pitches etc. Theres also some coillte owned parks - Ive emailed coillte and gotten no response.. Are either of these allowed to be used to practice - Ive no plans to go over 5m high or even 50m away until I get a feel for it.

I think Maynooth is Class C and G on the outer parts of Maynooth so no more than 15m high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

Hellrazer wrote: »
    So anyway I registered with the IAA got my ID an have put it on the drone.

So where is ok to fly?

Im based in Maynooth and there are a lot of green areas around within my 5k - GAA clubs,football pitches etc. Theres also some coillte owned parks - Ive emailed coillte and gotten no response.. Are either of these allowed to be used to practice - Ive no plans to go over 5m high or even 50m away until I get a feel for it.

I think Maynooth is Class C and G on the outer parts of Maynooth so no more than 15m high.

check on Flyryte mate, link here https://airspace.flyryte.com/. about coillte parks, as far as I'm aware if youre not taking off and landing on their grounds youre ok as they dont own airspace above, just follow 'standard' rules for drone flying and you should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I’m only dabbling in with cheap ones also . Your child is 9 . The chances of damage to an expensive one can be high . Why not invest in a cheaper one before moving up to more established ones . Chances are he will get board of it after a while .

Google sg108 . They are around the 100 euro mark . Good easy to fly with gps . Doesn’t have the camera stability of the more advanced ones and limited to 500 metres distance has from you .

The Fimi x8 se can be got for 350 euro but at that stage you are starting to creep towards wanting a mavic or dgi.

Ended up getting my son the Google sg108, he loves it and suits his skill set at the moment so it's a perfect fit.
    Thanks again for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Ended up getting my son the Google sg108, he loves it and suits his skill set at the moment so it's a perfect fit.
    Thanks again for the recommendation.

No problem. Glad your sorted . It will go either way for him . He will either get bored or want a more advanced one later . Better to find out with a cheaper one first .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Can I ask where you got the drone, I'm looking and can't find any sg108's by Google.

Any other recommendations for a drone for less then €200? It'll be for a 10 year old so I don't need anything too top end. It needs to be new though.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

"sg108 drone" should bring up a lot of results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Meursault

HI All,

Similar to previous poster, my (soon to be) 12 year old is very interested in getting a drone for Christmas. My budget would be around the EUR 200 to EUR 250 mark.

I would rather buy from an Irish shop than Amazon, if possible.

Can you recommend a shop please? Living in West Cork but Cork city or Killarney would be fine too.

Similar to previous poster, I am living in the countryside with plenty of space and no risk of upsetting the neighbours or anything.

Thanks

Advertisement