Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seed Golf Balls

Options
  • 19-11-2021 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Thinking of opting for some Seed golf golf balls. Does anyone have recommendations and what type. According to website The SD01 is comparable to the prov1 and SD02 = prov1x. SD15 = supersport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I have a subscription with them for a box of SD02 every 2-3 months. Try to use them relatively sparingly and just for comps mainly. Prefer the TP5x and ProV1x and believe the SD02 to offer similar distance off the tee with less spin. Probably feel the 5x and V1x are better balls but can't really justify the extra €20 or so per dozen for what is not a huge difference at my level.

SD01 is grand too, wouldn't bother with the SD15 personally as it's the same as any other cheaper ball and for slower swing speeds. I like to support them as they are an Irish company providing a quality product for considerably less than the big name brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Have had the SD01 and SD02 at one time or another last year. Great balls for the price but as The Big Easy says they aren't quite at the level of the Pro V1 or TP5. Without a subscription I don't think they are worth it as you can usually get Pro V1s or TP5s €40ish on offer, may not be the latest version though.

Never used the other types but have heard the distance ball is very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭coillcam

@The Big Easy and @Ivefoundgod

Out of curiosity, what do you feel is missing compared to the ProVs or TP5?

I've not played with TP5 balls but I can hand on heart say I've not noticed anything that makes them feel inferior to brand new ProVs.

My feeling is mostly anecdotal and not the result of any serious comparison. I do, however, feel that I would spin a TP5 or a ProV1 more around the greens.

I don't have any empirical evidence or anything but two things stand out to me;

1. Short game, with the ProV1 or TP5 I feel I can be much more aggressive with my wedges and am confident they will check. I found the SD-01 not as reliable. My short game is abnormal though in that I don't chip and run at all, as in, never.
    2. Feel - off the putter face specifically, I found the SD-02 firmer than a TP5x, same with the SD-01. That could just be me though.

Saying the above, I shot my lowest round of the year with a SD-01 so it probably makes very little difference.

• Advertisement

Agree, not the world's greatest pitcher and chipper and my strike is not always the same, but I'd trust ProV1 to check up more often than not.

Yes, forgot to mention feel off the putter face, probably my favourite thing about a ProV is how they feel on a putt. But as you said I'm likely to score as well with either depending on the day. I could see myself getting more fussy about my ball again if I continue to improve my all-round play but especially my chipping.

Interesting comments. I used to use putters with an insert (white hot, white ice, white steel) and I don't think they gave that much feedback. I've changed to a milled face putter now and it does seem to give a little more feedback. I have some new SD01 and ProV1s. Must do a putting comparison on them.

Spin wise, I don't think that I've the speed or ability to rip the cover off with any kind of regularity. Though I definitely have gotten great check and spin at times from the Seeds when the conditions allowed. Won't be noticeable this time of year anyway. Finding a non-plugged ball is an achievement in itself at the moment 😅.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I use the SD-01 and think they're lovely balls. I wouldn't be massively fussy though, I used to buy Wilson soft duo or something and I' don't notice a huge difference between them.

There are a few comparisons on-line with people comparing them to the proV1s and the like and the figures on the trackman are essentially the same. I reckon the people noticing a difference between them and the more expensive balls are imagining the difference. Sorry, I'm saying it bluntly rather than try to be delicate, but I reckon the difference is in people's heads. Probably caused by the expectation that expensive things should be better and by the marketing budget of Titleist where they can bombard you when watching TV golf with ads and players they're paying to use their balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

I found my Seeds are the same as other balls, get lost just as easy😭😭🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Andrew93

The exact reason I won't go spending mad money on balls, at least not until I'm confident I won't lose them all in a round 😂

• Advertisement

I don't disagree with you on the latter, marketing is a massive part of all my buying decisions whether I like it or not and I'd say the name on the ball might well be affecting my perception of its performance. Only thing I'll say in terms of trackman etc. is that I'm not talking about full wedge shots of 100 yards and checking spin rates, I'm merely observing less stopping power on 20-30 yard pitch shot compared to a ProV1. I mainly notice this in the short game area before I head out for a round, I would often put down 6 seed and 6 TP5/Prov1s and play the same shot from the same spot and compare. Its not scientific at all its just pure anecdotal so would take it with a pinch of salt. Feel off the putter is a personal thing too, I just prefer the feedback of a ProV1, the TP5 I noticed less of a difference if I recall correctly. Had been using Pro V1s since late summer up to September.

Just for clarity as well, the Seed golf balls are fantastic and I will continue to use them but I have a slight preference for a ProV1 or TP5

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Andrew93

What is people's opinion on the Inesis Tour balls (i think) from Decathlon?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Review here. Generally higher spinning than ProV1s and lower flight characteristics. Good around greens and overall considered good value for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭AOH77A

Hi, Currently playing the seed 02, find it a great ball. I have previously played the pro v for years and find the seed as good if not better. Did a lot of on course comparisons and the 02 was a little longer than the prov 1x with the driver. Similar spin with irons and for chipping around the green.

A good review below, they found the 02 had more spin than the prov 1x.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oxJVYuSsj4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

I switched from ProV1 to SD-01 a year ago and found very little difference. Slightly more check on short game with ProV1, but marginal at that.

I think using the same ball all the time is more important that the ball you use (once you choose a reasonably good ball).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

Eddie McCormack from Galway won the European amateur seniors championship last week in Douglas. I believe it gets him a spot in the British Seniors Open next month.

Interesting in an interview it mentioned how he is using a yellow Seed ball. Good endorsement for the Seed ball when you see a top amateur using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭zocklie

I've been using the seed balls the last few months, think they're the same as pro v1, if not slightly better. I dont get them scuffed as much as I do with the prov1's. Considering the price difference, its a no brainer, and the fact they are irish is a bonus.

Seeing them becoming more common every week, although I do get asked on occasion questions like "is that a spotify ball? "

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭REFLINE1

Anyone using Seed balls might want to get hold of some while they still have stock...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/taiwanese-golf-ball-factory-fire-global-supply-balls-likely-impacted-callaway-seed-taylormade-wilson-mizuno/amp

Dean Klatt, CEO and founder of Seed Golf, a ball manufacturer, said in an email to Golf Digest that there would be “a complete shutdown, overnight, for at least 12 months.

“Whatever LT inventory we OEMs [original equipment manufacturers] have on hand or on the water [being shipped] is all we'll have for quite a while,” Klatt said. “Moving manufacture is not easy in this case. Tooling (i.e. dimple patterns) will have most likely been destroyed, so it's a complete rebuild at a new plant with many unknowns. Dimple tooling is expensive, and that set-up takes time, then there's the quality control issues to consider once you get to production phase at a new plant. At best, I would say six months to reestablish supply elsewhere.”

That's awful news and could affect so many peoples jobs. Not just the factory itself. This will be a massive hit to all golfers. Callaway and Taylormade are impacted too. Seed and other smaller D2C outfits will suffer worse than the big names. It could put some of them out of business.

Watch the price of golf balls jump in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I just panic ordered 4 dozen ProV's after reading this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Lol...as an FYI, Titleist don't, I believe use any of these external providers for their production and have their own factories

I'm sure they'll put their prices up as well out of sympathy and solidarity!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Luckily, I've stashed hundreds of balls in hedges and lakes all over the place. 👍

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Poor risk management having sole supplier

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I know that but I was thinking there would be a worldwide shortage of balls after this and little ol' Ireland won't be at the top of Titleist's supply list.

At least I have enough for four rounds now😂

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Advertisement