Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering Large Appliances Before Getting Move in Date

Options
  • 13-11-2021 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

Hi all,

We purchased a new build, and are due to move in January. Although, with new builds that can always be delayed.

We want to purchase some of our large appliances Fridge, TV, Washing machine etc during the black friday sales.

Do any of the large companies allow you to pay for the goods now and get delivery at a later stage.

It seems all of the furniture Stores will allow it, but not the electronics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Part of the reason for a sale (other than to gouge people) is to clear out the shop for new stock, so they are unlikely to want to have sold stock hanging around. If they have to store it, they just might charge you.

Does the house come with fitted kitchens? If you pre-purchase, there is a risk that your appliances won't fit perfectly. Note that many appliances come in multiple, very similar sizes. I know of someone who had to spend about €500 because the appliances were each about 5mm larger than what they told the guy doing the furniture.

Is there a garage of spare room that someone has that the appliances could be put in? Be sure to scrawl "STOLEN" across the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

We bought our washer and dryer in a black Friday sale and they delivered it on February, i believe it was power city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Why not the Christmas sales or January sales or spring Sales.

I will absolutely guarantee that you will pay no more in January than December in or November.

Sales are an absolute gimmick especially from the likes of Currys and Harvey Norman.

Have a look at the very small print. "Higher price was charged for 5 minutes on one Monday morning at 5am" or similar.

Don't be sucked in by these gimmicks.

I needed a new dishwasher for a rental house I have. It was €379 in mid October in expert electric. (Same price in Currys) It has suddenly gone to €419 in Currys. I will bet 100k that it will be a black Friday "deal" at €379 in Currys.

That is how they and others operate. But Currys and HN are the worst at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You are better off waiting till you have possession and can measure up everything. There are often mistakes with sizes. If there is tiling on floors it can raise the height so undercounter appliances may not fit. When buying anything large sizing is everything. One now late and lamented furniture shop made more money charging to take back furniture which wouldn't fit than it made actually selling furniture which did fit. Be sure everything will go through all of your doors, corridors and into the place you intend to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

I would definitely wait. Construction is likely to be included in the upcoming lockdown. Any savings you may make on appliances will likely offset by storage costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

Thanks everyone, yeah we decided to wait. The any additional savings over a normal sale don't seem worth it for thr extra effort.

Seems the best savings are to be had on smaller home stuffs anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Harvey Norman at least used to be willing to hold for delivery - but no way were you going to negotiate the delivery down in price in that case - but I'd definitely agree that these sales are no better than any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

yes Harvey Norman will hold items, did for for months in our case. Also sign up for Harvey Norman VIP Sales, can be good value there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

We ordered two large goods on Saturday with no closing date agreed as yet. One not in stock so hoping the timing works for when the solicitor suggested we close.

Advertisement