Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clerical Officer in the Civil Service 2021 (Nationwide)

Options
  • 17-11-2021 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭

The Public Appointment Service has announced that the nationwide Clerical Officer Competition will open this Thursday the 18 November 2021!

Job Advert on Public Jobs: CLICK HERE

Closing Date for Applications: Monday, 29 November 2021 at 3pm !!

--

Entry Requirements and Eligibility On the closing date of 29 November 2021, candidates must have:

a) have the requisite knowledge, skills and competencies to carry out the role;

b) be capable and competent of fulfilling the role to a high standard;

c) have a good general level of education;

d) be at least 17 years of age;

e) fulfil Citizenship, Health & Character, Garda Vetting & Security Clearance and Reference Check requirements (CLICK HERE for further information);

f) ensure that they meet the criteria regarding Public & Civil Service Redundancy/Ill Health Retirement Schemes (CLICK HERE for further information)

--

Candidates who indicate their interest in Irish Language posts and who are successful at the final selection stages will be required to undergo certain assessments though Irish, e.g. interview and written test, prior to being considered for such a position. They must achieve the required level in the Irish language, i.e. demonstrate a minimum Level B2 on the Europass self-assessment framework

--

Salary

The salary for this position, rate effective from 1 October 2021 is:

Clerical Officer (PPC) €480.79; €511.61; €519.44; €534.72; €557.26; €579.76; €602.26; €618.64; €637.19; €658.75; €673.94; €695.27; €716.49; €749.58; €775.60(LSI1); €787.52(LSI2).

Important Note

Entry will be at the minimum of the scale and the rate of remuneration will not be subject to negotiation and may be adjusted from time to time in line with Government pay policy.

Different terms and conditions may apply if you are a currently serving civil or public servant.

Subject to satisfactory performance increments may be payable [annually] in line will current Government Policy. 

--

Tenure and Probation

The appointment is to a permanent position on a probationary contract in the Civil Service. The probationary contract will be for a period of one year from the date specified on the contract. Notwithstanding this paragraph and the paragraph immediately following below, this will not preclude an extension of the probationary contract in appropriate circumstances......(see information booklet for more details)

--

Selection Process

The selection methods for this competition will comprise a number of elements to select successful candidates for positions that may arise. These may may include the following:

• Online Assessment Questionnaire;

• Online Video Interview (via Zoom) ;

• Any other assessment deemed appropriate

To be compliant with recent government guidelines for public safety, it is envisaged that the methods of assessment may differ to previous competitions in response to Covid-19. As such it is strongly advised that each candidate reviews any communication or familiarisation sent to them prior to the commencement of each stage. Applicants must successfully compete and be placed highest, in order to be considered for advancement to the next stage of the multi stage selection process. The number to be invited forward at each stage will be determined from time to time by the Public Appointments Service.

--

Next Steps

Should you come under consideration to proceed to subsequent stages of the selection process, information will be forwarded to you at the appropriate time.

Indicative Dates (Subject to Change) Stage Dates

Stage 1 - Online Assessment Questionnaire Live 8 December 2021

Stage 1 - Online Assessment Questionnaire Close 13 December 2021

Stage 2 – Interview January 2022

After Stage 1 – Assessment Questionnaire, successful candidates will be ranked in accordance with their total score and given an Order of Merit (OOM) placing on the panel of their chosen county choice, i.e. the candidate who achieves the highest score will be OOM 1.

The number to be called forward to Stage 2 – Interview, will be determined from time to time by PAS. Candidates will be invited to interview in ‘batches’, for example Batch 1 may be from OOM 1 – 100, Batch 2 may be from OOM 101 – 200 etc.

Please note that the number of candidates in each batch may differ. Candidates must be prepared to make themselves available at short notice, to undertake and attend test(s) and interview and provide any supporting documentation required.

Irrespective of which of the number of regions you applied for, you may only sit the various stages of the selection process, including interview, once.

--

Appointments from Panels

.... Please note that once an offer of appointment has been accepted a candidate will be removed from the panel and no further offers of appointment will be made.

It is not envisaged that appointments will be made from this competition after 31st January 2023.

Please note that placement on a panel is not a guarantee of appointment to a position.

--------

Information Booklet: Click Here

Post edited by November Golf on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

It'll be interesting to see if this will go from the online tests and then straight through to interview like the last national campaign or if you'll have to repeat the testing stage in PAS in Dublin prior to interviews..

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Moomooland

I was wondering that too, it’ll be very interesting 🧐

Very interesting indeed! We'll know from the information booklet!

@job seeker have you read the info booklet? I just glanced at it

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

I have updated the op with key points from, as well as the link to, the information booklet. The Online Assessment Questionnaire will be held in December and its straight to interview from January onward. No verbal or numerical reasoning tests it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭furrybones

"It is not envisaged that appointments will be made from this competition after 31st January 2023."

So they're probably looking to start pulling from this panel late January/early February 2022.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tsetseg9

Hi guys, could someone explain to me please, what they mean by canvassing in publicjob competition where they stated in the booklet?

What if someone is waiting for a placement from previous competition, can't apply for an openning new competition ?

Canvassing means trying to get the job by other means such as contacting 'someone you know', emailing, approaching them directly, etc.

You can absolutely apply to the new competition even if you're waiting on placement from other competitions.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tsetseg9

Only just online now. November golf said that it's the same as last year though!

• Advertisement

This application form is weird.. I much preferred the old format. There used to be a section for other or additional information. This so no longer there!

It’s very similar if not the same as the most recent TCO application. I’ve submitted mine

Indeed I was thinking that! I was gonna submit an application form for the TCO. But then decided not to in the end.

I am currently trying to make my duties relevant to the role. But, I don't have near enough words available to achieve that..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Can anyone advise on the salary lay out? I'm assuming that's weekly? or Fortnightly?

Garda staff (CO’s) get paid weekly, EO’s get paid fortnightly. Unsure about other departments of the civil service

CO's get paid weekly. EO's get paid fortnightly.

I try not to repeat words and throw in a few posh ones 😂

I am, just not sure are we supposed to be basing the responsibilities and achievements section on our work history with the competencies in the handbook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Beckett99

Anyone having issues filling out the application form? System failure screen after several attempts

Post edited by Beckett99 on

For description of your role they just what to know what was involved in the job. Job titles alone can be misleading. They don't have to link to the competencies but you should keep them in mind. for example;

• Did you work as part of a team? how many?
    • Did you organise and prioritise your work? how?
    • Did you have quality standards or targets you need to meet? daily/weekly?
    • Did you deal with customers; how? On the phone , email or in person?
    • Was it administrative?,
      1. did you use MS word or excel?
      2. did you use any other IT systems or software packages?,
      3. Did you do any bookkeeping or accounts works?,
      4. did you do any training or course personally (school or college), through your employer or on the job, to either do the job or to become better at the job?.

Not every job with involve all or any of these, but they might give you an idea or what to mention in giving a few line.

The description will only really be used by an interview boards to help them to frame their questions. I would strongly suggest that you keep your descriptions brief, they don't want or need an essay for every job and they won't have time to read it. In the end, if they want to know more they will ask you at the interview.

Yeah that happens, you will just have to save the form every few minutes and if your get the failure hit back, click save, log out and in again.

Perhaps its their new way of testing your IT skills 😂

Yeah, I see what you're saying thanks!

I was kind of doing that and I was ranging into the heading under the competency headings. So I'm a chef

i.e.

Information Management/Processing -

I utilise the Microsoft office suite. I create weekly menus in Microsoft word, I keep an open line of communication with other departments through Email with Microsoft Outlook. For upcoming catering appointments, I log them on Excel and maintain the bookings and records of the department's finances.

I record and maintain up-to-date HACCP and food temperature records on the company HACCP application called "Kitchtech". These records are a legal requirement and good work practice. the HACCP records are inspected at our yearly HSE audit at work.

Is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cat19

Probably an obvious question so pardon me🙃 but in the application form section entitled positions is clerical officer irish stream for Irish speaking roles?? Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

I had an Interview for TCO but as i had a full time job decided not to go ahead with it so delighted this has come up now..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Hi folks, just emailing enquiring, with regards to the vacancies been a nationwide competition. I applied for the previous competition and put down my local county and a neighbouring county as my choices. After I got word on where i was on both panels, i realised I could have been in a better position if I put down Dublin in terms of a realistic chance of an interview.

But just wondering if you select Dublin as your first choice and get called for a Dublin position and take up that position, is it possible to apply for a transfer and how long do you have to be in the position before applying for a transfer down to a more suitable location?

Also my own background is that I'm currently a BSO (semi-state) 12+years, can I transfer my max incremental pay to that BSO position in the Civil Service?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Just did the application there now. Best of luck to everyone!

• Advertisement

Advertisement