Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just bugs / missing functionality reports - no griping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Not read yet, no popup, no "bell"

Still same - no popup, no "bell" mark

What i've done is untick ALL popup settings>save>mark all again>save

Got one popup as i type now, but still no "bell" mark. Will see....

It seem to work for little short after testing but stopped again. not read, no popup, no "bell" mark :(

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

The Vanilla team are looking into it at the moment @smuggler.ie will get back to you when there is an update. If you notice anything new or anything changed let me know here - thanks!

@Boards.ie: Niamh Thank you. This still hit&miss

Last one had no mark.

If it gives any hint....

I've checked site up to ~12:00 (there was few "bell" marks), "cleared", shutdown laptop.

Came back to site ~18:00 from PC (only) for 30 min or so - had few "bell" marks, "cleared" . From this point had browser tabs left open, but wasn't checking it (was running other app in "full screen" mode) .... if this makes sense.

Just thinking.... could it be related to the issue where site thinks me(others) have read the page and advance to next page skipping few (as discussed on Welcome to the new Boards...... ) hence no unread post notification? Just thoughts...

Will try to replicate - will close site for ~hour - 23:10 - 00:10, will see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭thesandeman

@Boards.ie: Niamh after a bit of a break the "draft saved" pop-up has started appearing every time I try to post again.

It's happened at least three times while I'm posting this.

Screenshot:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Don't know if it has been mentioned yet but how do we ignore a user when they have set their profile to "Private"?

Not an issue if the user is viewable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,100 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

got to your profile and then to your ignore list. start typing their username in the bottom text box and select them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but browsing the site on mobile - android via Chrome often leads to some pages in threads running at snails pace, but then moving to another page and it'll work fine (smoothly) again. It's intermittent but usually leaves that particular page extremely slow making it a pain to move through it. Just seems to occur on boards so don't believe it to be a hardware problem itself.

Very difficult to post just now on mobile. The box wouldn't expand properly.

I had to do click, then exit the keyboard, click where I wanted to type, then the box would snap and I couldn't see anything, but when I typed, it would open again.

Vanilla in general has way too much JS going on. A lot of user interaction is hijacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Categories section to the right of the page (desktop) is acting very oddly.

It follows as I scroll down the page but with the top 1/4 missing or else it is juddering at certain scroll points.

With ad block turned on (previously this categories section would not be there) it is missing when at the top of the page (comment 1) and then magically appears when scrolling.

Personally I don't like it there at all (one of the reason I had ad block on) as it takes up too much space for something that is a duplicate of the top navigation really.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Absolutely @Ads by Google there is just waaay too much javascript going on. On a page with most of the posts thanked, it gets slower and slower to thank a post yourself the further down the page you get, near the end it can take 20-30 seconds, that's mad. Then there's the "input freezes while saving a draft" thing. This is on desktop on a fairly fast PC!

Life ain't always empty.

If you want to have a heart attack, install the React developer tools for chrome and see what is happening for every quoted post.

Somehow they have React, but about 100 other JS files loaded on every page hijacking scroll and almost every interaction. I often can't even highlight all text in the post textarea because it's all hijacked.

It's so hard to use and impossible to debug for Vanilla. It's so complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just noticed a minor cosmetic issue. When you scroll right down to the bottom on a desktop using Chrome the categories block moves slightly and covers some of the footer information.  When you start moving back up it resets its position. 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

This. I don't have adblock and when i scroll, the ad on the right hand side (along with the categories section) keeps juddering as you say. Highly annoying and wasn't happening up to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I came here looking to report this also. It was happening on my Windows 11 chrome PC but I am now on my Linux laptop and it is happening to this also so I knew it wasn't my PC.

Noticed same/similar on FF, but only when not in full screen mode, or when "inspect (Q)" open on the bottom half. Judder start as soon "Top Forums" header meet the crumbs. There seem to be a conflict on "id=page-sidebar"

On "Edit profile" page i cant even scroll down to the bottom - page just jumps back by ~2'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's still at the same thing today same as yesterday. As someone said above it only started happening yesterday and I cannot believe there is not more people here mentioning this.

The Boardsie enhancement suite hides everything on the right hand side so a lot of people won't see it. it does sound annoying though.

• Advertisement

Dont have BES, have some custom CSS coding(full width screen, dark mode etc) on other machine - still stutter in places mentioned above, both FF and Edge

Cant read "matrix", but guess some code got broke since.

Personally still have issues with notifications - randomly have non. Literally have to refresh page and "fish" posts out from "bell" list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Same here, the Categories menu is floating and juddering. That menu was a temporary fix to aid navigation until proper navigational menus were put in place.

Get rid of it.

Windows Firefox, adblocker disabled.

i have an issue with notifications. It keeps telling me I have one when I dont. I can click "mark all read" and it disappears but it comes back after the next refresh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

Yeah, the categories on the right are acting up when I scroll the page - it's making the site almost unusable on my laptop (Windows 10, Opera browser). If I scroll down, and then back up, the categories keep "flickering" in place. There's something badly wrong with the way they move with the page, it kind of looks to me one of the categories expands/closes when I scroll, and that breaks the whole thing.

Really needs to have an option to get turn off the menu if it's not working properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

Just to add to my comment above, if I click to expand any of the categories open, then the issue disppears. But that's not a workable solution, since the menu resets with each page load. But clearly it seems to be some kind of a bug with the menu now, and it only started in the last few days or so.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I have submitted this bug with the side panel and it will be looked at asap.

Hi @ohnonotgmail can you please provide a screenshot of this if possible? I assume the issue is that there is a number appearing on your notification bell icon but no new notification in the menu when you open it up? Also please let me know if you are on mobile or desktop. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On mobile, if I select a word(s) to put it in bold/italics, the formatting menu flashes up briefly, and then switches to the copy/cut/paste menu.

So formatting of text is not possible.

• Advertisement

I would if I could. I was offline over the weekend and it seems to have resolved itself.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement