Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate change protest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭green daries

Fair enough ....I'll have to admit I'm wrong if it turns out that it is so ( and lord I've been wrong enough times to recognise it)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm very surprised at this attitude, are you speaking as a moderator? I don't understand green dairies comment, I know it's a smart arse comment calling me a crank, but I don't get the "blame someone else" part and he's still not willing to explain.

I always found the farming & forestry a friendly & helpful place, great for advice and knowledge and certainly not a "place to be insulted" as you claim it is now. I find that very unfortunate. For the record I didn't ask for links to back up any posts, I didn't crib or cry and I only asked for an explanation, so you can ease off on the name calling and the whole internet hard man act, your fooling no one.

Feel free to nip over to the Dublin City forum for advice on your upcoming trip to the city (if you're actually going to travel) where you'll be met with friendly, helpful and excellent advice on where you can sample some of the best cooked food produced in Ireland and the other various places you can visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

So the ifa boys are going up on a Sunday for a breakfast roll. That they might also hand out to a few passing urbanites?

And the protest is against covergance of Sfp monies. ( that if the minister had of held his nerve and went for 100% of Rather than the minimum 85% it would of put a few more bob towards the overwhelming majority of farmers).

Its wants a range of new coupled production with no limits and unabated high volume export beef production.,

Despite 24 months ago they wouldn’t support a real protest and agreed with Cormac Healy that European and Eu markets for our beef were oversupplied!

Then a week after, the fag smoking heavy hitters will roll into town on 100k John Deere/NewHolland tractors, “Marty moone” blaring from the Spotify .. park around merrion square, shout bo ya.

These lads represent ifoi ,ifooi, beef plan, 30 year stakes and wagon silage and a measure of Sinn Fein populism, anti vaxer and general conspiracy theorist..

and meat industry Ireland sits back as all these Turkeys protest for more Christmas days😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

With Criss and eco , it probably over 90% convergence. Even though I may lose slightly At least now when I am bidding on my few friesians I know the mist of the f@@ker up against me are no longer being subsdisied to ha g around there all day

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Grueller

I'm not sure I agree with all of your posts JJ. I do agree with an awful lot that you say, but whether I agree or not, I always find them more than entertaining. Fair play JJ.

• Advertisement

I actuall saw Jjam that the head of the ICSA that instead of CRISS he wanted a suckler cow premium of 300/head and a early slaughter premium of 100/head. The Toole from the farmers journal has suggested a package for older farmer and they get paid for there carbon profie which would either go as feedstock to bio plants or as extra grazing for larger farmers. When i was looking at some of these suggestions I looked at the calender to makes sure it was not the 1st April

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The joke started in 1982 with the milk quota. the subsidies that followed were only compensation for that f..k up, it was a gross inequity. If subsidies are still the way to go and 20000 farmers want them they might as well go for it. If the public service can get money for doing f..k all, then why not

The begrudgery against dairy farmers that time was no different than entitlement begrudgery now and I have no conscience problem about maximising my entitlements due to trying to compete against dairy farmers in the eighties and nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Whats the difference between 80%convergence and 100%. How long will it take for high entitlements to come down?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Apart from the fact that you want to get support here and everywhere... you did not set-out what the protest is about so how do we know.... I think its clear to everyone that farming practices will change but what do you want to achieve... I did read a week or so ago that farmers said that omissions from farming could be reduced but they would need to get money to adapt...

Tell us whats goin on....

Actually it probably over 90% convergence in reality. Between 60k max payment, eco is flat rated so it further converges payments and front loading on the first 30HA.

So now you payment is made up of three parts

Bliss being converged to farmers bring paid at least 85% if not average

+Eco 60-80 flat rate no entitlement needed

+Criss frontloading 43euro on first 30 entitlements

Not only that as Criss and eco are not directly linked to entitlements they will not be tradeable and as higher payment will converge there valu at present is maybe par to there value

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

The problem was that some farm organisation decided that the majority of farmers on lower payments were not entitled to fight there corner within the organisation

Slava Ukrainii

We never fought to take payments off anyone, don't forget that little nugget, drystock farmers need the payments in the nineties and right up to now, you're only a dealer trading, the producers do the work

No what IFA did was decide that nobody in the organisation with lower payments was entitled to fight to get there payments risen.

The upward only convergence was seen as what it was an attempt to preserve the status quo. There bullsh!t that the budget would increase so that farmers with lower payments would be increased to even the average was not just flawed it was an contemptible attempt to hide the reality and stifle debate.

This was exactly the same as Pat Smith a paid official not an elected one threatening west of Ireland elected officers with regionalisation. I am not just a trader I also improve the product. I am definately not a dealer who only resells the same product. As I said I will lose out on convergence this time as well however I will understand the system needs to be equitable.

The truth is you statement above is deeply flawed. The winners this time will be those small drystock producers accross the country. In general dairy farmers have higher entitlements than drystock men.

In general finishers have higher payments than producers. So this is a redirecting if payment to drystock.producers whether they are suckler farmers, calf and weanling to store men.

It interesting that both the FJ and the FI are both more and more taking Ng notice of the other farm organisations and publicising there viewpoints as they know where this is going

Slava Ukrainii

There wasn't unaminous support for any change, only one trick ponies could gather select members and go after change.

Iknow plenty of farmers with high entitlements and low enough payments, I know plenty of small farmer that have high entitlements/ha that worked hard and are going to get fleeced now, the question to ask is why have a lot of farmers got low entitlements, they got the same chance as we did. I was only barely paid for the work I did, it was no gravy train . I highliighted some that are whingeing now that in the past let good farms go down through the nineties that were in a better positon than I was at the time. now they are getting an increase ffs

You are only trading, I have them all around me, buying stores and lying off , They might as well have shares

Here You are Bass.

This lad proud as punch of a his “new” plan. He’s like a Russian engineer working for Lada presenting the new improved model with push bar on the back for easy starting..

Ya something for everyone in the audience. Most of it to be handed back to Larry with extra production and squeezing most if the kill into the autumn/winter period when cattle are 20-26 months of age. The feed merchants are running there hands in glee as well. Lads pumping ration into cattle to finish early will swallow most of that 100 euro.

Slava Ukrainii

correct Bass

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/tillage/irelands-reliance-on-feed-imports-will-our-tillage-sector-be-left-blowing-in-the-wind-39983324.html

It’s to paid via the processors too so that will some craic..

Environmentally it’s ludicrous.. the methane nonsense is endorsing fossil fuel reliant production , the 30 month limit had it been scrapped or moved to 36 months would have allowed the storing of grass fat cattle to the winter period fo slaughter. The high output beef model has a lot of parasites living off our backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

And I know plenty of farmers my age now in their prime farming years that weren’t long out of nappy’s 20 years ago when entitlements were set up.People who done well with entitlements in the past fair play to them but fairness for all is long over due,Even greening was unfair as it should’ve been on a flat rate as every farmer had to do the same regulations to comply yet some we’re getting multiples than others

I was at a green acres farm walk during the summer. It was a calf to beef and he had about 50% Friesian calves. The HE and AA bullocks were sold as stores, The heifers fattened and killed at 18 months.

Some Friesians were killed off grass at 22 months at 280 kgs grades were mainly O-, then more were killed out of the shed in February. Anything else was carried to grass, but they killed them.in May which I taught was crazy, it was most P grade, slaughter weight were only about 315kgs average and they only came into about 1100euro. If they got another 60 days at grass it would only have cost 30-40 euro and they kill 350/360DW and made 1350 euro.

The farm was heavily stocked at 160kg organic N/HA. The advisor was sending him out with 25 unit's of N after every grazing.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 46 laoismanj

Ye would spread slurry in any river if ye knew ye wouldnt be seen and if there was a tenor dangled in front of yer face ye would cut your own mother for it. If the impossible chance i won the euromillions I would buy land just so farmers couldnt put cattle on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭White Clover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭DBK1

No river near me so I blow it into the rabbit burrows instead. Works a treat. Nothing worse than having slurry just sitting in a slatted tank doing nothing 😂😂

Can I tempt You to head to Dublin on Sunday for a free breakfast roll? Free parking.. 😉

Maybe, i dont mind buying my own food but i am sick of farmers destroying wildlife habitats

Well last man to spread slurry beside me ended up with a crooked nose, next one will aswell. The greed cult will go bang yet and i cant wait to see it

I just let it off out into the tide because there's no handy river or lake closer.

Oh hang on a second, no, that's Galway CoCo and the villages sewerage, apologies. And I don't even have slurry, Jesus Ted, what was I thinking.

Yes good man. Buy it from a supermarket, I can’t for the life of me understand why farmers dot quit trying to make the stuff when you can buy it. You eat the wildlife friendly stuff only I’m sure.. well done.

You sound very very tough. I wouldn’t spread slurry in your river. Not for my mothers pension I wouldn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭farm to fork

We could do with a few more like Laoismanj's to liven up the discussions. Thanks for your comments Laoismanj I'd say you brought a smile to a lot of us on here.

Advertisement