Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Car Prices - gone crazy?

• 15-11-2021 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Just browsing around tonight and I was gobsmacked to see that a new Hyundai Santa Fe starts from €64,895 which is astounding when the new Sorento 'only' costs about 56 K. The Sorento is still a jump of almost 10 K over the old model so is the intention not to eat into Sportage and Tuscon sales?

We had considered a new Sorento but while they are a lovely motor, it's hard to justify the cost and lots of concerns over possible vlaue in 3/4 years time when diesel is really seen as being uncool. However flip side to that is the massively increased value of 2nd hand Sorento's, worked to our benefit anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Sorento PHEV is probably a better bet if you're worried about long-term value, little cheaper than the diesel too if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

So cost to change is similar? If you don't need to change i would think it is a good time to hold on to what you have and see what happens. Cars won't be an increasing asset, while i realise that all car prices are currently increasing or holding , unless you are selling to go to an alternative mode of transportation there is no gain? There will be a drop ahead. The only people who make money on frequent car changes are the dealers etc. If you have a car that suits your needs keep it and change less frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭sk8board

New cars are more expensive on a like-for-like basis. It’s always been the case, but I think it’s been more apparent recently.

the only example I know personally is I bought a 420d gran coupe for €57k a few years ago and the same spec in the new 2022 model comes to €65k on the configurator (which incidentally is the same price as the EV version, the i4 .

A 14% increase over 6 years. Some of that is recent raw materials inflation, and some of it is the additional tech in the car. Then add in the recent appreciation in all second hard cars, and the gap to change isn’t as wide

I'm in the same boat as you..have a 201 Sorento and it's over ten thousand more expensive that when I bought it...I suppose that means my Sorento is worth more except the dealers don't want to give it..therefore I will hold onto it..they can make money from me on a new car I don't mind but they are not going to make money on both ! They need to up the anti on what they are offering on a trade in..in America I can get a new sorento for around 30 k dollars...here it's 58k...something's gone wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭sk8board

Also worth factoring in that there’s almost no negotiated discount on a new car at the moment, everything is list price.

However, new cars aren’t as bad a value as nearly-new cars.

buying a 201 5door hatchback and effectively still paying list price, is the worst value in the market at the moment. We had a 14month old car bought back from us by the garage for the same price we paid brand new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

€64,895 for a Hyundai

if you told someone that in the 90's you would be locked up

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭eusap

The Kia Sportage in 2018 was 32k new, the 2020 model was 36k, i hear the new 2022 model is 41K! Nearly 10k in 3 years

I was in Maynooth the other day and nearly fell over when i seen the Hyundai I30 is nearly 30k brand new, thats nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Overheard a conversation regarding a new Polo the other day, high spec, DSG but still a small car, was coming in at 29k iirc, that would have gotten you a fully loaded Golf DSG less than 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

If you have a car that does the job you need right now you'd be mad to change,it just doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I honestly don't think people really need to cars. Unless they have a car that is clapped out. Cars today don't rust like they did years ago etc. If someone buys a new car and they have disposable income they don't know what else to do with, fair enough. But in general cars have to be the biggest waste of money non-essential purchase if you already have a car that runs fine.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Prices of everything used and new is nuts - the govt have taxed us out of it to the point that your average family diesel or petrol are almost EV money - however my feeling is that people won't have or spend the cash required and we will see an ageing clapped out fleet and overall new sales reduce greatly.

Dealers must be making a killing - sales on new cars might be down a bit but they could easily be making an additional 3/4k more per car now as almost no discounts on offers plus they are making a killing on secondhand and also must be doing a bomb on servicing and repairs.

Advertisement