Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Both car keys stopped responding

Options
  • 13-11-2021 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭

I was driving to my NCT today and pulled into a shop on the way. Upon leaving the shop my wireless key stopped working and the car would not unlock. I got my Dad to drive my spare car key out to me and that also would not work.

Eventually after checking on YouTube we found how to pop a cap off the door handle for manual unlock. After sticking the key in the ignition both keys started working.

I really want to understand what happened! For reference my car is a Volkswagen Scirocco.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So key works fine now for central locking too or just to start the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Both keys work fine now for all purposes. Both keys will lock and unlock the car without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Buffman

Random guess but something local to where you were parked might have been jamming the signal.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭robbiew

same thing happened to me a few years ago lexus is250, in my case both batteries seem to go at the same time though, outside a hotel.. inconvenient to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Could be lots of reasons. Any chance your main car battery is beginning to deplete. Could be an issue with the keyless entry module (kessy) or aerial in the door. If it occurs again you may need to have the car scanned for faults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The poster that mentioned battery may be correct... i have heard of a few instances where diagnostic devices not work where there a drop in voltage...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes something like this happened to me before at a supermarket around Christmas a few years back, when I got out of the car to lock it there was no response from the car from the central locking on the key, I could see the red LED light going on so knew the battery was working. I ended up locking the car with the key itself on the drivers door. I could see a car about 50 foot away with someone in it, otherwise nothing strange in the area. When I for back to my car it still didn't work, same car was parked there, I used the key again. Strange thing is when I drove literally a mile away to the next shop it worked fine, never had the problem again, I suspect some kind of jamming as only pluasable reason because key battery wasn't replaced for another 6 months or so.

It's the season for thieving from cars so I would say watch out, particularly those who hide gifts in the boot.

Advertisement