Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ensuite conversion to walk in wardrobe

Options
  • 15-11-2021 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

We have an ensuite that we never use in our master bedroom, currently it's a dumping ground cases and clothes.

The master is upstairs in a dormer, we're considering knocking out the partition wall and converting it to a walk in wardrobe, it would turn it into a space we could use daily and it will also bring more light into our bedroom as there is a southwest facing velux window in the ensuite too.

I have a raft if questions I need help with, but I guess I'm looking for opinions 1st, would you do the same? Do you value ensuites still?

Main bathroom is also upstairs and one of spare rooms has a fine ensuite still for guests.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The value of it depends on a number of factors.

If it's a family home (3+ beds), then people want an ensuite in the master bedroom rather having to share with kids or otherwise disturb the kids.

You say there are two other bathrooms upstairs already, which is a big plus though.

I see no reason not to do it, just leave the option there for someone to reinstate the ensuite in future - cap off drains and water pipes and put a box around them rather than sealing them up permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Cheers, and we have a downstairs toilet aswel, so no shortage there!

It's a 4 bed yeah, that's what I'm thinking, cap them off and hide them as best possible.

Any idea what kind of price people are charging to remove a 8 by 8 ft partition wall that has a door in it?

Gonna do most of the work myself, but I think getting a plaster wall expert in for that to tidy it afterwards is probably money well spent.

Personally I would value a walk in, much more than an ensuite, but I guess leaving the option for someone in the future is probably the best idea.

Some good progress today! Gonna be knocking the wall to the right of the door, it opens into our bedroom then.

Gonna box of the feeds for the sink above, will try get the toilet out tomorrow or Wednesday.

Room is 6ft wide by 8ft long, will be a lovely walk in soon hopefully :)

Planning maybe to kit it out myself in OSB

Small progress update, room is ready now for configuring, we got 2 Malm dressers from IKEA about 2 foot deep, and I will be constructing MDF panelling around these to create a wardrobe, wish me luck :)

Decided not to knock the small wall to the right, it will give more surface for storage

The plastering was a little painful and messy

• Advertisement

Finished this a few days ago, it did take 7-8 months from start to finish, but that was probably 1 day a week if I ever had it free, happy enough with the outcome!

Before and after

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well done.

Advertisement