Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acting Up EO Post Civil Service

Options
  • 15-11-2021 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I was wondering if somebody could give me a little information on Acting Up posts in the Civil and Public Service.  I have been offered Acting EO but I just want to know whether it would worth my while doing it.   It’s for 6 months maternity cover.  Would I temporarily go onto point 1 on EO pay scale or is it a different allowance I would get.   Would I get additional annual leave.   Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would you not do it for experience especially if you have aspirations for promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

as billyhead said, do it for the experience and it will stand to you in any future EO interviews where you can draw on this experience as an example.

I think EO’s get one extra day per year over CO’s so you might get a half a days extra leave but not sure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And on top of everything else, if you don't take it your competition will...

I dont think you get paid for it unless you are doing it a certain length of time

Id always say worth doing it, regardless.

Dont let it go to yer head but it gives you an invaluable perspective of the step up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You have to be doing it for 84 days to get the increase of pay, so a 6 month contract would easily cover that and sure you might get more than 6 months if the person in question decides to extend their maternity period. I'd definitely go for it!

I dont think it's exactly the first point on the EO scale you get, but it is an allowance. So definitely better than a kick in the teeth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Unless this circular has been superseded then you should be paid as if you were promoted to that grade normally. I couldn't find anything to say it has been replaced.

Allowances for the performance of the duties of a higher grade (circulars.gov.ie)

Finally found something which mentions the 84 days thing.

Review of Public Service Allowances and Premium Payments (circulars.gov.ie)

Seems it only applied during the moratorium.

I know someone acting up into another grade about a year ago and it applied then (or at least it was applied!)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheJet

Thank you for this - I did have a look online but didn’t come across this circular. It’s very helpful.

I'm not 100% sure that is still valid. People here have a different take on it but I can't find a circular which has replaced it. As far as I know, since the moratorium is over, you should be paid as if you're an EO and also extra annual leave on a pro rata basis. Are you in a union?

I'd take the position anyway. It's always good to be able to talk about acting up when/if you go for promotion in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement