Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volkswagen CC or Octavia VRS

Options
  • 15-11-2021 3:30pm

Hi folks, background is I’m a female accountant and I travel between sites around the country for audits frequently, roughly 800km a week on average with a mix of all road types.

im looking to upgrade from my current VW Polo as I’d just like more space and more toys for long journeys.

My current choice is below any thoughts between them?

141 Octavia VRS 120k miles approx 15k with a years warranty.

131 VW CC GT with similar mileage approx 12k with a years warranty.

From my research the Skoda is a newer engine and isn’t effected by the emissions scandal and had newer tech like lane assist etc.

The CC is bigger but it looks like an 06 passat my dad had years ago inside there appears to be a huge amount of these for sale.

Any thoughts on choosing between the above models for day to day driving. It has to be from a dealer as I’m not comfortable buying private at that price range.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Octavia.

It's a Passat CC by the way.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Sit in the seats and take a good spin on a minor road. I had a VRS years ago (07 one) and the seats were pretty firm. Your two choices are on the sporty end, but don't rule out the boring ones. I've a 2015 Passat but I think it's the GT spec with leather interior, sunroof, 18" alloys, and 190 hp. Nice comfy ride.

What are you looking to spend?

Budget is approx 15k. What attracts me to those is that they both seem to have xenon lights. I really struggle with the crap lights in the Polo and it makes driving at night very tiring. Would I be right in saying that Donedeal seems to full of UK spec Passat CCs guess they were coming over by the truck load pre Brexit .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Didn't know that! Must be trying to get away from it just being seen as a fancier passat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

CC for me. Bigger and comfier on long journeys. All boils down to spec though - ive a passat CC GT with 170hp engine and full set of extras and an octavia wouldnt come near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Wouldn’t buy either of them but if I had to choose it would probably be the CC.

were they face lifted around that time?

think it was 12-13 they got the facelift , make sure it’s a facelift, wouldn’t spend that money on one if it wasn’t.

CC will be better for your commute. Quieter and better insulted from the road and outside, nicer seats too.

Nice, they seem hard found with the 170bho engine. A sunroof seems to be a rare option aswell.

Rang the garage about the VRS and it it is sold they forgot to take down the add.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Apologies didn’t mean to come off badly there if I did.

not sure what I would choose to be honest? I see you want a VRS or CC GT

leaning more on the sporty side?

I’d probably see what type of A6 I could get for 15k will be a much better place to sit for 800km every week.

this maybe

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/29526696 Audi A6 Sline 2013

• Advertisement

Ah cool, yep probably more on the sporty side….A6 is nice…maybe next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Agree with this.

Would try to avoid both but if i had to chose it would be the CC.

The emissions update isn't really a big deal, particularly at this stage in time for both the car and the scandal.

If you aren't into sportyness i'd say you'd tire of the VRS being a bit harder on the road and the interior finish although decent isn't as well finished as a VW.

The CC would hold it's value better even if you rack up the mileage on it, a far nicer place to be inside, the engines themselves aren't bad and misses out on some of the **** that the EA288 engine gives like the coolant sludging etc and spec would be comparable to the VRS in most cases.

For me, looking at either of those, good service history, low owners and not a UK import would be my key bits or research and preferential in that order. There country is awash with VRS ans CC's in particular with colourful historys. An ex UK CC with a clatter of owners and a patchy service history is primed to be a heartbreaker IMO, worth paying a little extra for one from a good background.

I was thinking about this and I’ll go for an Irish CC, I’m upping the budget slightly If needed and will look for one with a sunroof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

An English car came out of the same factory

But it began it's life in the UK.

You'd be surprised how much more corroded underneath a UK car is vs an original Irish car, even if it was imported early in it's life. This only becomes more and more relevant as the cars age.

There was a stat until recently i believe that approx. 1 in 10 used UK imports to Ireland carried a write off status in the UK. That's a high concentration IMO.

The like's of CC's and other cars in the category were popular for Irish dealers to buy as fixer uppers from UK auctions to flip over here but many were not repaired to a great standard.

Not every UK import is going to be a bad car by any means and to discount every UK import in that category would reduce your browsing options considerably but it would be eyes wide open for me, personally, if viewing one.

We use the exact same salt and brine on our roads as UK.

We don't have magical salt that doesn't corrode.

I would surprised if the stats on UK import write offs vs Irish second hand cars showed any difference

The UK use a higher concentration of salt. The only person talking about magic salt is you in an effort to make me look a fool.

It's a simple and well known fact, take a 3 year old Irish car, then take a 3 year old English car with a similar mileage and the UK car will have far more corrosion underneath. Corrosion protection is far better on modern vehicles chassis but on secondary items like brake discs and backing plates, suspension arms and springs, the difference between an Irish and UK car is very obvious even after a short period of time.

When corrosion takes hold it's very hard to reverse and will generally only get worse over time.

Prepare to be surpised by the stats then, they are there to be seen (or googled) approx 1 in 10 UK imports into Ireland carried a write off status in the UK. 1 in 10 used cars on the Irish second hand market is not a write off, that's a riddiculous statistic.

This salt thing always makes me chuckle.

We use the same salt as them.

We use the same gritters as them.

We use the same spread rates as them.

I have managed motorway maintenance for 3 years.

Perhaps areas of Scotland use more due to climate.

But then areas like Kent would probably use less.

Pre 2012 and the privitising of all motorway maintenance, with the councils keeping their original fleet, we may have done less maintenance. But that would be hard to prove.

UK people manage quite happily buying UK secondhand cars.

Just do a history check like buying any secondhand car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭User1998

I wouldn’t be put off a UK import at all. I’ve brought in a few CC’s from the UK over the years. All 1 owner company cars with very high mileage. Never had a problem with any of them. I really liked the CC’s actually.

Irish cars can be crashed and repaired too. Just do a history check and a full mechanical inspection and you will be fine. Its true that sometimes UK cars can be more rusty than Irish ones but half the cars on our roads are UK imports and they aren’t exactly rusting away are they?

• Advertisement

I'm glad you get a good chuckle from it but most of your points are utter rubbish.

The fact remains, there's a much higher likelyhood that a UK import vehicle has a chequered past than an original Irish car.

You can have managed nothing more than a good sh1te for all I care in relation to your work experience.

Thanks for the comments! The sunroof requirement really narrows down options. Any thoughts on Charles Hurst used direct in Dublin?

if anyone knows where’s there’s similar preferably silver or white let me know. Budget 17k

Good choice going for the cc over the octavia I recently bought a sporty Octavia and the road noise drives me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Also consider a superb. Very comfy cruiser that will get you from a to b feeling much better than an octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭marty whelan

Would you consider an automatic? I'm doing 800km a week as well, would kill me to go back to a manual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

520d F10 M SPORT with the ZF transmission would trounce both the CC & the Octavia. In budget too. Whatever you choose, go auto, you’ll never look back.

Advertisement