Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Charger & SDCC house

Options
  • 13-11-2021 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I've done a search here and can't find any info.

I've a two part question:

Firstly, can I get a EV home charging unit installed in a SDCC house that I rent (been in the house since the 70's), and if so do I just ask the SDCC's permission?

Secondly, can I avail of the SEAI grant for the charger installation (it says private owner in its stipulated rules so I'm guessing no)?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,930 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If you have a driveway then you should be able to claim the grant, if you park the car on the street then you can't. As long as you have proof of address and permission from the owner then you're fine to claim the grant

Not sure how easy is to deal with county council's, I've heard a few folks around here complaining they'll say no to everything. Not sure which council's were being complained about in that case

One thing I can say for certain is that you won't be allowed to have a cable stretching across the pavement. You'll need to run a cable underground and install a pillar to hold the charger.

I'd also recommend getting one with an RFID reader to stop others using it. Not likely anyone would steal your electricity, but it could be mistaken for a public charger. This would obviously add some expense to the project

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Johnny_Dread

That's great info. I do have a driveway so no cable, public, or pathway issues. I'll give the council a ring on Monday to check it out so and see if I can get the ball rolling. The grant would make a bit of a difference too.

Cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s easier to ask for forgiveness. It’s your home why would you need to ask. You’ve been there since the 70s.

at this stage you should have bought it from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Absolutely don't ask, easier to let them know after the fact (or just say nothing).

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭kaahooters

technically its electrical work, which should be carried out by the council, technically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,930 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'd love to see a law passed which says council's can't collect rent or parking fees from any property that doesn't have access to EV chargers

There'd be no shortage of charging facilities if that happened 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement