Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The ole chestnut re reg plates

Options
  • 02-11-2021 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

89 D 120@@@ or go for a ZV? I think the ZVs are telephone numbers now. For a s class

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

To help you make up your mind, I believe you can initially register it as a ZV and change to the county format later, but not the other way round (I'm 80% sure It's this way and not the opposite - can someone confirm?).

I'm on a ZV and lucky to have just 5 digits, so would not change, but as you note it's pretty 50/50 now.

One thing with the ZV, you might get the odd person who wants to ask about the car so it gives them the opening question of "what year is it" (if you like taking about it, I do).

Good luck with the 126!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭gipi

You can register as a year/county plate and change to ZV, but not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Or have it registered to an address outside of Dublin where the number ranges are much lower for the year/county plate perhaps? You could get 89G15000 or something more reasonable elsewhere if you have relatives outside of Dublin.

Just a thought and not sure if this is an option/desired outcome for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 duskyjoe2

Many thanks for your comments … it’s a chestnut alright !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I went with the 89 D format recently - its the correct format for anything post 87. If it was 86 or earlier I might consider the ZV option, although its unlikely. It will be registered as 89 D 108XXX I'd imagine going by my reg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

ZV plates are the spawn of the devil on cars after 87!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

It'll be registered as something higher than 89 D 120000 as that is the range they are working with since about 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Yeah you're right, don't even know my own reg - its 89D120XXX alright

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

D is 120001 or more, C is 40001 or more, next after that are probable MH and KE, I think MH is the same, but KE is deffo 16001+

Lowest is LM at 3001+

Gipi is correct. You can change a county reg for a ZV but not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Thanks both for the correction! Glad now I said I was ONLY 80% sure :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd go ZV all day long.

Least worst option.

Having said that I wish they would wake up and allow old reg's to be sold and traded.

Get someone to register it in Wicklow or Wexford and then do a 'sale' to yourself. The next 89 WX is 11044, the next 89 WW is 11038. Nothing wrong with those numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 10 duskyjoe2

100% I’d sooner take the above wx reg number than a 89 D120@@@. Anyway I’m lumped with the D reg so will I go ZV is my quandary . 1st world probs . Getting the w126 next week. It’ll be my 2nd 126 after a 21 year gap. I just always loved their stance and comfort. This one is ex Japan so no rust . I could put Japanese themed reg plates on as done by the boys whom make them up in Rutland place :) . Thanks for all the inputs lads . I appreciate your thoughts

You buying from John Mohan?

Remember any number plate on a vehicle first registered after Jan 1st 1987 to 31/12/1990 has to be black letters on white reflective background. That includes those horrible ZV plates but not ZZ plates. There is a section that says that the regulations on vehicles first registered on 01/01/1991 and onwards does not apply to ZV and ZZ plates. None of this applies to Defense Force vehicles.

S.I. No. 385/1992 - Road Vehicles Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) (Amendment) Regulations, 1992.

Article 25

Part II

Form of Identification Marks

Provisions to be complied with in respect of vehicles first registered on or after the 1st day of January, 1987 but not later than the 31st day of December, 1990:

1. ( a ) Where the identification mark contains a single letter index mark it shall, at the option of the owner, be arranged in conformity with either Diagram No. 5 or Diagram No. 6 shown above.

b ) Where the identification mark contains a two letter index mark it shall, at the option of the owner, be arranged in conformity with either Diagram No. 7 of Diagram No. 8 above.

2. The identification mark may be exhibited on a metal or plastic plate or in the case of a large public service vehicle, it may be illuminated by translucence or transparency.

3. Where an identification mark is exhibited on a metal plate, the surface shall be constructed of white reflex reflective material and the identification mark shall be formed of black letters and figures which shall be embossed by being raised above the surface of the reflex reflective material and form part of the plate.

4. (1) Subject to sub-paragraphs (2) and (3) of this paragraph, where the identification mark is exhibited on a plastic plate the identification mark shall be exhibited on white reflex reflective material which shall be affixed with an adhesive substance to the rear of the plate and be so affixed that it cannot be readily detached therefrom.

(2) The identification mark exhibited on a plastic plate in accordance with sub-paragraph (1) of this paragraph, shall be so exhibited that it can be clearly read from the front of the mark as black letters and figures on a white reflex reflective material.

(3) A plastic plate shall be constructed of transparent material of at least 2.5 millimetres in thickness.

(4) In the case of a large public service vehicle, where the identification mark is so constructed and used that it is illuminated by transparency or translucency the letters and figures shall, when so illuminated during lighting-up hours appear, in the case of the front identification mark, white, and in the case of the rear identification mark, white. At all other times the letters and figures shall appear white against a black background.

5. Subject to the provisions of paragraph 9 of this Part of this Schedule, all letters and figures of an identification mark shall be at least 81 millimetres high and be of uniform height; every part of every letter and figure shall be at least 12 millimetres broad and the total width of the space taken by every letter or figure, except in the case of the letter "I" or the figure "1", shall be at least 48 millimetres.

6. Subject to the provisions of paragraph 9 of this Part of this Schedule, in an identification mark there shall be a margin between the nearest part of any letter or figure and the top or bottom of the surface of white reflex reflective material upon which the identification mark appears, of at least 8 millimetres and between the nearest part of any letter or figure and the sides of the surface of white reflex reflecting material, of at least 8 millimetres.

7. Subject to the provisions of paragraph 9 of this Part of this Schedule, in an identification plate:

a ) the space between the nearest parts of adjoining figures shall be uniform and be at least 8 millimetres;

b ) the space between the nearest parts of adjoining letters shall be equal to the space between adjoining figures;

c ) the space between the index mark and adjoining figures shall be three times the space between the nearest part of adjoining figures,

8. Subject to the provisions of paragraph 9 of this Part of this Schedule, where the identification mark is arranged in accordance with Diagram No. 5 or Diagram No, 7 shown above, the space between the upper and lower line shall be at least 13 millimetres.

9. In the case of a bicycle, an invalid carriage or a pedestrian controlled vehicle, the dimensions prescribed in paragraphs 5, 6, 7 and 8 of this Part of this Schedule may be halved and the plate or surface bearing the identification mark need not be rectangular, provided that the letters and figures thereon comply as nearly as possible with the arrangement shown in whichever diagram of this Schedule is appropriate.

10. The provisions of this Part of this Schedule shall be deemed to be complied with if the identification mark exhibited on the vehicle complies with the provisions of Part III of this Schedule.

Re-read the regs. If vehicle has a ZV index mark, all it has to do is comply with provision of Part 1 of Article 24, which are those provisions relating to pre-1987 vehicles

24. The provisions of this Part and Part II of this Schedule shall be deemed to be complied with in relation to an identification mark which incorporates the index mark ZV if the identification mark exhibited on the vehicle complies with the provisions of Part 1 of this Schedule.

I have

Remember any number plate on a vehicle first registered after Jan 1st 1987 to 31/12/1990 has to be black letters on white reflective background. That includes those horrible ZV plates but not ZZ plates. 

If a vehicle first registered after Jan 1st 1987 to 31/12/1990 is issued with a ZV plate it doesn't need to be black letters on a white reflective background.

So it doesn't include "those horrible ZV plates"

Just by the way I don't think ZV plates are horrible.

I'd much prefer them to the year plates with an over long number.

As I said in another post we really should be able to get year appropriate numbers from the old pre 87 series.

It clearly states that plates on vehicles first registered after 01/01/87 need to have black letters on white reflective background. It clearly does not state that this rule excludes ZV plates. Please show me where this updated statute excludes ZV plates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

Honestly, when was the last time you've seen anyone enforcing license plate format in this country? Gardai don't care, neither do NCT testers.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

Year plate, any time for me. I like the look.

Got an 88D120xxx and a 93MH15xxx in my stable, plus a four-digit ZV. The ZV only looks good as it's short.

I quoted the part in post #17.

For clarity:

Third Schedule, Part I - applies to pre-1987 plates - note subsection 10 also allows a "part III" type plate to be fitted.

Third Schedule [which you quote], Part II - applies to 1987-1990 plates - again there is a subsection 10 which also allows a "part III" type plate to be fitted.

Third Schedule, Part III - applies to 1991-on plates - subsection 24: "The provisions of this Part [III] and Part II [87-90 part] of this Schedule shall be deemed to be complied with in relation to an identification mark which incorporates the index mark ZV if the identification mark exhibited on the vehicle complies with the provisions of Part 1 of this Schedule.

Now obviously when they signed off S.I. No. 385/1992, I don't believe they gave much thought ahead to 1987-on cars being issued with ZV indexes. But they have specifically granted any vehicle incorporating the index mark ZV an exemption to parts II & III if it complies with part I.

Unless of course there is any other update to the regs since then that supports your view?

[Opinion: I don't think they should have issued ZV index marks for anything after 1986. Would have saved having this discussion anyway. 🤣]

The one and only time my 300SE failed its NCT was over the plates. Sorted in 20 minutes but the NCT do check these things - occasionally. As for the Guards, they pulled my young lad and two of his buddies in Kilmacanogue, all sporting full German plates. I have a suspicion they were acting the 8ollox but I'll never know!

I don't think they should issue ZV for '87 onwards either but statutes are very specific. I agree that when they wrote these things they probably didnt envisage ZV on '87 onwards. Anyway, anyone who puts ZV plates on an '87 onwards wouldn't be the sort of person who cares if the format is right or not. Its lack of attention to detail in my book!

What do you think is wrong with the owner of a post 86 vintage car 86 availing of the choice offered and choosing a ZV plate?

I simply don't see the point.

The ZV series was originally introduced in 1992 following lobbying by the classic car community with IVVCC taking the lead.

It gives classic car owners a choice of which format they prefer for a classic car being registered for the first time in Ireland.

The reduced motor tax for classics is based on a rolling 30 year system and the same applies to ZV registrations.

The reasons owners might opt for a ZV include -

1- They might not like the county being on the plate.

2- They might not like the year being on the plate.

3- They might just not like the look of year format plates.

So to sum up it's a choice classic car owners have and it's up to each owner to decide for themselves.

I think it looks out of period (for a '87 to '90) vehicle.

It's a lame compromise. Age-related plates would have been another way to deal with things (like in GB). No further new format on pre-1987, conversion possible to already issued county plates and no old format on post-1986 vehicles.

Choice? There's only Hobson's choice now. Either of a ZV that doesn't fit the plate spec or a telephone number length county plate.

• Advertisement

I don't agree that it looks out of place.

The plate is part of the package for a vintage with the rolling 30 year system, you get the €56 tax, 2 year NCT and choice of plate.

Agree with your other points and I covered them in earlier posts except I wouldn't restrict to pre 87.

Advertisement