Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

14,000 to spend on new car, for my Mam, advice please

Options
  • 11-11-2021 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, my Mam is 75 going on 55, healthy, active etc..

She is selling her old 09 honda civic, and I'm getting her a new car, I have circa 14,000.

She hasn't a clue about what to get, I suggested a SEAT Ibiza or a Renault Clio, she doesn't want a low car (getting in and out reasons)

Would anyone have a suggestion for a good car, bullet proof build, make and model for a lady that age, fuel sysem is not an issue.

Any help at all guys would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Renault Captur, Peugeot 2008, Ford EcoSport, Opel Mokka Suzuki Ignis. Assuming it's petrol you want you should be able to pick up of decent one of any those, probably ~2015 model, within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

A petrol Honda Jazz or HRV if she’s after reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Thanks very much guys! I really appreciate it 👍🏽

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Why not keep the current car ? The dacia sandero is 14k new I believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Old car has 315,000 K on it, so it's on its way out thanks for your suggestion!

• Advertisement

Look for an automatic if possible as it may be required for her in years to come (Although I appreciate you said she’s fighting fit)

The Toyota Yaris seating position is quite high - here’s a 2016 auto hybrid advertised for 14k

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/toyota/yaris/fpa/202110268910995?journey=Search

• Registered Users Posts: 33,118 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Has you/her ruled out an EV?

Easy driven, little to go wrong, will last her a long time.......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The only brand new car you can get for that price is the Dacia Sandero. Has cruise control, aircon, Hill assist and 3 years warranty plus break down assistance. Much better option than buying a second hand car too as you will have no NCT's to worry about either for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Daughter is on the same quest. Very taken by the Dacias till she sat in and found that the clutch pedal is jammed right up against the wall of the central console, so that in order to take your foot off the clutch you have to lift it back towards you. The pedals are also rather high. Pity because otherwise it is a nice practical car at a decent price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's interesting, we had a discussion about whether and how long it would take to get used to it, but I admit I found it a bit disconcerting. Do you lift your foot off and but it flat on the floor when not using the clutch?

Going back to the OPs question. I have had a Jazz which I used and has now been passed on to another family member and it has been a good car giving almost no problems - its an 08 reg and is still going strong. I currently have a Toyota Yaris hybrid and it suits me very well, I like that it is an automatic and I find the petrol consumption very good. I do drive it gently, within the eco range mostly, though it can comfortably overtake and get up to speed when asked. Both these cars have a little bit of height which is good as I am the same age as the OP's mother.

I find it no different to any other cars I drove. This is the first brand new car I drove.

There is a spot to rest your foot to the left of the clutch but it's not very big reminds me of the space for your foot in a BMW e39 but the gearbox was there in that car so not much space.

Other cars I have driven had a spot as wide as your foot to rest the clutch foot while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

little bit more and you would get a used Nissan Leaf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A Kia Niro or a Kia Stonic.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement