Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crypto tax situation - Read post 1 for thread banned users

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,237 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No, you don't deduct the loss on the shares from the CGT owed on the crypto. You deduct the loss on the shares from the gains on the crypto (so 4k gains on crypto minus 1k loss on shares equals 3k net gains), then deduct your small gains exemption (so 3k net gains minus 1.27k equals 1.73k), and then calculate CGT on that (so 1.27k multiplied by 33% equals 0.571k).

And, just to be clear, you don't have any losses on your shares until you have sold or otherwise disposed of then. A decline in the value of shares that you are still holding at the end of the year is not a loss; you can't deduct that in your calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Jafin

Question for those who have submitted their CG1 Form returns by post - are you supposed to receive something back from Revenue? I sent off my CG1 return about three weeks ago, and part of the form says to include an envelope with a return address on it, which I did, but I haven't received anything or had any acknowledgement that they received the form. Since October 31st is the cut off before you start being penalised I'm a bit worried in case it got lost in the post (I wasn't aware you could just send scans through My Enquiries on the Revenue website at the time). I was going to ring the office to ask but the phone lines are only open until 1:30pm so that's a no go for today at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

If someone like myself is just putting €100 per month into some crypto and not really trading but just buying and hodling for some distant future gains in 5-10 years time, do we need to register? In the first year, my total investment will be less than the threshold and obviously no gains realised. However by the ends of year 2 and subsequently, I could in theory liquidate assets that exceed the threshold. When do I need to register for CGT? If I never liquidate an asset, I won't have any liability. It's all very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

A gain only materialises when you sell the asset so if you are just buying lol the time and not selling then you are ok for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Does anyone know if there is an obligation to tell Revenue when you buy crypto? Got conflicting advice on this recently.

• Advertisement

I'm about to book a €6k holiday from my BTC but don't want to trade some bitcoin to trigger capital gains tax so am considering getting a 12 month loan on crypto.com at 8%. Has anyone done this? I'm figuring it's a very bad time to sell BTC, it would cost lots more to buy back in next year. Is there any drawbacks to doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yeah you'll get a summary of your assessment. It'll take a while because they have to process everyone's CGT returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

If you have a Celsius account, they offer 1% loans using your BTC providing your ltv is max 25%. It's not available in every country though so you might have to check if you can get it in Ireland.

LTV?

I don't see the loan option, is it available here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

If you log in to the app, when you press the big "C" button, one of the options will be "borrow" if it's available in your country. If it's not there it may not be available.

LTV is loan-to-value ratio so 25% would mean if you wanted a loan of 6k, you would need minimum 24k worth of BTC. You can get loans for higher LTVs but think they charge a higher loan percentage.

I didn't have that option in Celsius so I went with Crypto.com, I borrowed 3200 USDC to pay for the flights as they are going up in price daily. I can book the accommodation without paying, I have until the end of April to pay so should see some decent gains in BTC all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,237 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It depends on your circumstances.

If you are one of the groups required to register for income tax self-assessment - self-employed; only or main sourse of income is rent, investment income, foreign income, maintenance, or other income not subject to PAYE; someone who benefit from share incentives or similar arrangements - then you are required to complete and file Form 11, and there's a section on Form 11 which you have to detail chargeable assets acquired during the years. So you'd have to list any crypto acquired.

But if you are not required to file Form 11 - and PAYE workers with no other signficant income are not - then, no, you don't have to file details of asset acquisitions. But you still need to keep a good record of the acquisition, because when you dispose of the asset you do have to file, and you'll need details of the acquisition then to calculate your chargeable gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭REFLINE1

Anyone got experience with CGT with respect to NFT's?

Also if the amount in question is less than the exemption of 1270 do you still need to file/report it?

I would assume that selling an NFT is a taxable event, yes. And yes, you have to report it even if it is less than the exemption, but you have until October 31st 2022 to do so, so you don't need to worry about it at the moment. I exchanged a crypto for BTC last year resulting in a profit of €7 and I had to report it this year.

Thanks for your reply. this part confuses me, and apologies in advance because im a tax idiot.

"Your payment for CGT is due before you file your return. For example, if you dispose of an asset between 1 January and 30 November, payment is due by 15 December. Your return will be due by 31 October of the next year."

So you pay it in one year but file a return the following year? what is the return in that case if not the payment of whats owed? i really dont understand this stuff!

Pre-cursor: if anything I've said here is incorrect, please someone correct me.

I'm a complete tax idiot as well, don't worry about it. It took me months to figure it all out, and I probably still don't fully understand it. So yeah, if you make a profit over your tax free threshold you have to pay it this year, but you don't need to actually file the return until next year. So let's say you sold your NFT for €2,000 today. You deduct the €1,270 tax free, which leaves you with €730. You then get 33% of that €730, which is €240.90 and you have to pay that to revenue before December 15th. There's something about expenses and allowable losses but I don't really understand that so I'm leaving it out of the example. Then next year you have to fill out a CG1 form telling them what you sold for, how much was profit and how much of that profit you had to pay this year and send it to revenue. Luckily they have a box you can tick telling them you're not sure if you did it right and you can say why you're unsure. I'll leave a link to the video I used to help with this at the end. He goes through the entire form step by step telling you exactly how to fill it out. It was incredibly helpful to me.

If you're not already registered for CGT then I'd advise you to log on to MyAccount on the revenue website and open an enquiry. Tell them you sold an asset this year and you would like to be registered for CGT and they will register you for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YorwaTXEPYI

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi guys. I bought some BTC over 10 years ago. The price was far lower back then. If I were to cash out (undecided to wait for a bigger profit or not), I'd certainly be taxed on almost all of it. How does Revenue calculate the amount to tax? Do they need to see specific transactions of my bank account from over 10 years ago that pertained to the BTC purchase? Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

If you cash it all out then you need to deduct the amount you paid for it, and any transaction fees you also paid, to get the profit. Then deduct you tax free allowance, which is €1,270, and then get 33% of whatever is left. That 33% is what you need to pay revenue. Be aware that if you cash out now you have to pay revenue by December 15th this year. If you cash out next year (before October) you need to pay the 33% by October 31st.

I'm not sure how it works in terms of how they verify that you're telling the truth or not though. I suppose you would need to have some kind of receipt or bank transaction in case you get audited. Do you have an email or something from when you bought it, confirming how much you paid and any transaction fees you may have also paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Revenue don't calculate it, you do. It's a self assessed tax. You are supposed to know what you are doing. If your gains are material enough and you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, engage a professional. However if it's just a single asset you bought years again and you haven't done anything with it since you bought it such exchanging/using some in some way, then calculating your gain should be pretty straightforward.

A correction to my post here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118154580/#Comment_118154580

Sorry, I meant to say 7+ years, not 'over 10 years ago'.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you bought multiple BTC, you might want to consider emigrating to a low CGT jurisdiction before cashing out as the tax saving could be the equivelent of many years of income. The move would have to be permanent if you sold them within 3 years of moving and Revenue were aware of the situation, which is very unlikely.

Hi Jafin.

So I guess I should wait until 1-Jan-2022 to do any cash-outs?

I'd have to do some digging to get proof of what I paid for the BTC back then (I think I paid the sellers through SEPA) -- it's a pittance compared to their value now. I wonder if having to calculate how much to get taxed on - maybe it'd be easier to get taxed on the whole lot? I have no emails from that long ago.

Hi RCO.

There were multiple purchases of BTC.

What's the most others here have cashed out? I'd be nervous of being accused of wrong doing if suddenly there were large amounts being deposited into my account. That's one reason why I've yet to cash out any BTC, the other reason is waiting to see if the value goes up even more.

Move to another EU country perhaps? That would be one hell of an inconvenience -- although Portugal sounds nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Personally I am looking forward to emigrating and can't wait: better climate, lower taxes, no CGT, better health care, cheaper insurance, cheaper heating costs, cheaper vehicle operating costs, lower VAT, less costly legal system, more efficient government. From my own personal perspective and circumstances, it's the opposite of an inconvenience.

I see where you're coming from alright. Alas, I'm too much of a homebird.

• Advertisement

I wonder if there'll ever come a time when BTC can be spent to buy things from well known online shops, buy a car, pay for a sun holiday, etc. 🤔

Advertisement