Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting a replacement battery for Garmin 520

Options
  • 08-11-2021 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where to source a replacement battery for a Garmin 520, that will ship to Ireland. Battery life has gone to pot on my 520 so I plan on replacing it and the half-broken usb connector

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Amazon in France or Germany be worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I found a place in HK so took a punt on it. Not 100% sure of the provenance of the supplier so I'm prepared to be disappointed. Farnell have the USB connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Never discount asking Garmin on their webchat, telling them the whole sorry saga of how you love it, but how it's not holding a charge.

They've been known to replace unit with reconditioned ones.... just a thought.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

There's a small bit of soldering involved in replacing those batteries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Not if you can source some narrow bore heatshrink. I'd have some concerns about waterproofing after breaking the seal between screen and body.

I've an old 520 here with very degraded battery (less than 1 hour battery life). I might try that replacement sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

You'd need heat shrink anyway, no? I'd still want a dab of solder to be honest, but my preferred method would be to desolder the wires from the speaker at the back of the unit, then resolder, rather than cut the wires.

I'd be avoiding butt joining and hot gluing the wires, as they do in the YouTube video for that battery. (Although the hot glue could work in place of heat shrink)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yep but as it's only the speaker disc it'd be grand (ya know, Irish style) with just twisting the wires tightly and using the heat shrink to keep it in place. The speaker disc isn't really essential to the functioning of the unit unless you need the off course warning or incident detection. However, soldering is obviously the optimal approach but not everyone has a soldering iron or the skill to use it on such small wires. Then there's likes of me who can only ever find the soldering iron or the solder - never both at the same time 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

The soldering will be fine. I plan on replacing the USB connector at the same time. It's partially broken. Still charges but doesn't establish a connection to the computer. I've 3M double sided adhesive to reseal it. Getting it water proof could be a challenge though

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

I gave my old 520 to my young lad when I upgraded to the 530 and it now has only about 3 hours use before it dies so will be interested to see how this turns out for you as I might have a go at fitting a new battery and hopefully not f*ck it up, let us know when it's done :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement