Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Failed due to seating capacity

Options
  • 11-11-2021 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have a Suzuki Jimny which I removed the rear seats and seatbelts from.

It failed the NCT yesterday because the seating capacity does not match whats on the logbook.

Tester told me I can re-install the seats and belts for retest, or get it changed on the logbook.

I have the old seats and belts, but dont know if I could be bothered changing them in and out every year for the test.

Anyone know whats involved in getting it changed on the logbook? And any cons to doing so? Insurance etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bensimp

Hi Ompl,

You will probably need an engineers report stating the correct amount of seats. You will then need to send the report to the local Motor Tax office with the original tax book to change the (S.1) number of seats. I'm not sure but you may need to send in a mod report as well. Your Local tax office can best advise on what they require.

In relation to cons, if you sell it and the new owner wants to add the seats he will have to do the reverse of the above I would think.

In relation to insurance, once you don't carry anyone in the back I can't see an issue but clarity from the insurer would be best but I'd say they will take guidance from the tax book on the amount of seats .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jmreire

Would removing seats and re-registering it as such change its classification from private to commercial?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Can't see why this would occur. Plenty of cars on the road with only 2 seats already and they are not commercial. A nephew of mine had a Fiat Punto van a few years ago and it was classed as a 2 seater paying normal private motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bensimp

I can't see it being classed as a commercial as the vehicle particulars haven't been changed, however if the engineers reports wants to state it was now a commercial ( if it meets the requirements, whatever they are to be classed as commercial i.e. amount of space in rear etc.) maybe it can be reclassed. I have done it the other way by converting a commercial into a minibus.

Some insurers may not insure you with commercial vehicle unless you have a reason for having a commercial vehicle or a business for having a commercial i.e. painter, electrician, handyman etc.

Pros of commercial vehicle that is that you get the €333 road tax but an annual CVRT is €111 where an NCT is €55 every year ( annual NCT on on an older vehicle) and whatever the road tax is for the Jimmy. I'd say much of a muchness in savings there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

When I was buying my wheelchair taxi,the dealer told me that you can have more seats on the log book than are present in the vehicle,but not less.

For example,my van has 7 seats on my logbook,but only 5 present due to the last 2 being removed for a wheelchair bay.

Why your tester told you different is a mystery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

I would question this reason for failure with NCTS - doesn't seem right at all as I know of owners of 7 seaters who took out the back row and had now issues with NCT tests as a result - i.e older style Sharan's and Galaxy's the seats themselves area massive yet pop out very easily

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Ompl

Yea i spoke with NCTS today. I tried to put across the point that the NCT manual only states it's a fail if seating capacity is exceeded but they weren't interested. I was directed to page 7 of the NCT manual which does say they can refuse to issue a cert if there is a discrepency in seating capacity. Althought page 125 only mentions failure when seating capacity is exceeded.

https://www.ncts.ie/media/wiwmmcpc/nct-manual-june-2021.pdf

Anyway, a quick call to the motor tax office today and they were very helpful, said they will update it to a 2 seater once they recieve a photo of the rear seats removed and send them back my old logbook. New logbook will be issued in 3 working days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

These testers take notions at times and crap like this happens. The supervisor will always side with the staff unfortunately.

My father had a series 3 Land Rover refused a test because the tester ‘felt’ it should be tested at a commercial centre. This is despite the fact it was registered as private by the Revenue and could only be tested by NCTS. Way exceeded their role and the company wouldn’t budge.

He ending up selling it in the end to someone just wasn’t going to bother testing it.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So I've not messed with seats for any car but I've had to get engine power and pretty much everything else changed on a few previously imported bikes as the lazy **** just hit 5 when filling out stuff so I've got 5555555555555Kw power on the certs and same for weight and other stuff.

Get a official dealer to right a letter saying it has 2 seats and post that off with the book same as if selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Ryano87

Hiya, tax office sounds like they are being very reasonable so it's not a bad way to go - but could cause issues down the line if you want to put seats back in and NCT are prickly about it.

Having used Jimnys like that before it's only 6-8 easy to do bolts (takes 5 mins) I'd probs just throw them in for the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Ryano87

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Did the Land Rover have windows in the back?? Also did it have seats and belts removed and panelling inserted?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd imagine that if checking seats and belts are officially part of the test then if they were missing then they couldn't pass the car because they couldn't check them.............you could theoretically be driving people around sitting on boxes in the back and you just took the boxes out for the test. Or even the seats could have been in bits and you just took them out for the test. Whereas if it is registered as a 2-seater, and insured as such, one could assume you're not doing that.

I'd imagine that that is the logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

If the car has 4 , 5 or 7 seats now they have to be fitted. Like a galaxy or Qashqai with the 3rd of seats, they have to be fitted and assembled in their proper upright position now or it’s a fail.

Advertisement