Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilson golf irons

Options
  • 10-11-2021 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

hi there

Just wondering if anyone is using Wilson irons at present? I've just checked out some online reviews of the staff model CB and they all seem to say the same thing; they're as good as any brand and cheaper, just not as 'sexy'.

would be interested to hear from golfers who actually use them! (and I refuse to use the term 'game' them)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I played with Wilson D7 Forged for a year and a half or so, but didn't get on well with them.

Out of the middle they were beauties, but the fall off for off centre hits was significant for me, so my average distance probably dropped by about a full club.

They were killing me to he honest. Switched to TM P790 and never looked back. Lofts about the same as each other, but the forgiveness factor on off centre hits was massive by comparison.

Index of 8.9 for reference in terms of my playing level

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

wow that's really interesting as I would have viewed the D7s as generally more forgiving than the P790s, thanks for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Not a huge difference in price between Wilson and Titelist CB's, 1169 v's 1115 for 4-pw in a well know Irish online store.

yeah I honestly think this could be a 'Rick Shiels' affect - he seems to rate Wilson v.highly and I would guess that has a decent influence on demand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

These were the d7 forged as opposed to the standard d7. Would be classed as more like a muscleback than a game improvement set.

P790 are crazy forgiving to be honest

• Advertisement

This is probably not much use to you but I remember back in the early 90’s when I first started the game I was given a load of hand me downs to get me started. One of them was a beautiful Wilson Staff 9 iron blade. I loved that club, great feel of it. I haven’t played a Wilson since though. I’d imagine they haven’t gone backwards in terms of quality since then, they just fell out of fashion a bit. I’d be interested in trying them out next time I am changing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

for somebody maybe 5 handicap and below the staff cb irons are superb.

quite weak lofts compared to other brands "players clubs". so if looking for distance gains probably not ur best choice

wilsin staff utility iron is awesome aswell.

Great clubs imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I have the Wilson V6 and love them. Such a beautiful club too imo.

Quite weak lofted too but I like that as gaps well then with 52 and 56 wedges

Thanks for the feedback all.

I think a very large part of choosing irons, for me at least, is liking the look of them - it just gives an intangible feeling and means i'll practise more.

I like the understand classy look of the Wilsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Hoppermcgrath

I too have the Wilson V6 and previously played the V2. Both are as good as anything else around, and distance control with the traditional lofts (e.g. PW is 47 degrees) is I think exceptional. Don't expect them to go as far as some of the modern style irons with jacked up lofts. Once you have the right shaft in there then no reason to fear Wilson Staff being inferior to anything else. Harrington won all of his majors with Wilson Staff irons, and more recently Gary Woodland won the US Open playing them, so they're proven to work just fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

I too play the V6 Raw version, this is my second set of Wilsons over the last few years and I honestly think they're great. Beautiful looking clubs, super feeling off the club face and I love the more traditional lofts on them also. Couldn't recommend them highly enough. Wilson have been proven down through the decades as producing top class irons and thankfully they seem to be on that path again.

Advertisement